Commenting When On Pale Moon Craps Out

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
YbraarbY

Commenting When On Pale Moon Craps Out

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-12, 16:12

I just don't know what's going on. Therefore, I can't give a specific complaint or cite the exact problem, because I don't know what to complain about specifically. I guess this is a complaint because What else can I do? I apologize for not being more specific.

I find that Pale Moon craps out when I'm commenting, for example on Disqus or in a discussion forum (on Off Guardian) that doesn't use Disqus, but then I can comment just fine when I switch to my other browser (Epic), I can only conclude that there's something about PM that is causing me problems. (And, I've experienced disobedience a few times, with my instructing PM to allow certain sites that it seems it won't.) Although why I can comment, on PM, on OG (a few comments) and then all of a sudden can't, I just don't know. I got the same weird (and inaccurate, as far as I could tell) message on OG as I got on Disqus (on the 21st Century Wire website):

https://app.box.com/s/66jip272p695gs1y6y2terkouyv8zq3x

I don't know how the formatting on this forum works. Sorry.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Commenting When On Pale Moon Craps Out

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-12, 16:35

Have you thought about maybe asking the OG website owners? Seems to me there's been an issue with a change they made to their comment form handling.
We can't really do anything with a custom error message like that since it's in their web code.

(for convenience, attaching the above-linked example to this reply)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-12, 17:05

The problem isn't exclusive to OG. Thanks for the reply all the same.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-12, 17:29

is OG using disqus?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-12, 17:31

Why is there no link to the website?

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-12, 18:13

Off Guardian (https://off-guardian.org/?__cf_chl_jsch ... aD5KVNYpS8) does not use Disqus.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-12, 19:14

I can't get any UXP application to crash on that. I hit it hard and nothing.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-12, 21:21

I think something you could do is to open a thread into viewforum.php?f=70 saying "I'm getting errors when using this feature on that website" (of course specifying both feature and website) and then including what viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49 asks to include.
You will likely be asked a lot of questions but ultimately if it's something that can be reproduced eventually a solution will come out.
This applies to any issue you might have with a specific website.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-12, 23:25

If you're blocking cookies from Disqus or any other website that requires you to login, you won't be able to authenticate.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-13, 15:03

I could have missed something but I made an effort to open everything up. I turned off all of my security, checked settings and flipped switches that could be switched. I don't know.

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-13, 19:53

I have been using, and quite like, the exploding cookies ext from Pale Moon. Maybe that was it. I'll be trying again to make things work. Interestingly, When I load a second instance of Pale Moon, in order to separate email and other stuff that I'm doing, as I'm blogging on my first instance of PM, I see that the second instance doesn't have the exploding cookie icon up top.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-15, 00:18

YbraarbY wrote:
2020-10-13, 19:53
When I load a second instance of Pale Moon
It's not a second instance unless you're using a completely different profile. If you mean a separate window, then the extension being the bootstrap or 'restartless' kind (that doesn't prompt you to restart after installing it) - results in not being added to the toolbar of a new window sometimes.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-15, 16:39

Yes, That's right. I knew that. I forgot. The smallest things, when you just don't have any reason to think about them, get fogotten....

YbraarbY

Unread post by YbraarbY » 2020-10-16, 23:37

And why would I not be able to click away pop ups on PM? It's driving me nuts.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-17, 10:18

Make a separate post for this query, and be clear about what kind of popup. Popup windows are rare now and onscreen div popups again beg the question as to why aren't you using an adblocker with fully updated and current filter lists?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-17, 10:23

Off-topic:
If using an ad blocker is such a strong recommendation, I think one should be included by default in the browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-17, 10:24

Off-topic:
adesh wrote:
2020-10-17, 10:23
If using an ad blocker is such a strong recommendation, I think one should be included by default in the browser.
You still, after all these years, don't understand that Pale Moon is about choice.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-17, 10:58

Off-topic:
Then don't call people names for not using an ad blocker. And yes, I guess, I don't learn.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-17, 11:41

Off-topic:
adesh wrote:
2020-10-17, 10:58
Then don't call people names for not using an ad blocker
When have I ever done that? :o

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-17, 12:05

Or me for that matter, in this thread?