Alternate Course Concerning Add-Ons

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
JakeF
Moongazer
Moongazer

Alternate Course Concerning Add-Ons

Unread post by JakeF » 2020-10-04, 16:41

First let me say that I've ALWAYS been a believer in --if you want privacy-- you prolly shouldn't be on the net; somewhat later a CEO of GOOG yclept the same. So, my business & so forth is on a computer that never connects & never updates--programs that work never need updating; math and accounting don't change, like the man said figures don't lie unless liars figure.

That it costs too much to have multiple computers is null. I've bought W7 laptops for <$50, and a Raspberry Pi can be made new for less. These can be used to surf. Most all OSes used run from files or from removable media. If an OS or program "updates" & makes a feature non-functional, that's why you have copies. For instance, when PM is updated, it is used for a while to make sure all the functions I like continue to work-- and so far, so good --when a non function happens I just revert. Non functions have happened with PM, Adobe Flash usually the culprit, sometimes not being recogged, just not working, or working but not listed -- this only in a Linux. In WinXX almost all programs used are portable with originals on nerdstick; a non function is replaced with an original.

If you keep updating OSes and programs you WILL end up with junks you don't like or want; this is the nature of software -- all software eventually becomes Bloatware. Example: PuppyLinux <100MB at first and the latest, FossaPup >400MB. Even Kolibri, needing only few megabyte disk space and 8MB of RAM to run, if continued to develop will bloat, but not much if FASM use stays [all my OSes boot in about 20s, SSD or not, WinXX needs SSD though, Kolibri--about 5 seconds].

The reason to run OSes from files means you can have multiple files of different OSes. I have an OS with only Onion Browsers, think Tor, but there are others. A hot swap boot loader is also nice, but the speed of reboots these days, we should be so lucky. Lastly, if you NEED the net to live, you're just part of the machine.

The absolute best thing about Pale Moon is that, as far as I know, they haven't sold out to GOOG, which pretty much owns not quite all other browsers. Give em time, its got the monies. Laters.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Alternate Course Concerning Add-Ons

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-04, 16:52

Soo.. I see NO SUBSTANCE relating to Add-ons let alone extensions which makes the thread title deceptive but misfiled in the wrong board. Just some ignorant waffling on how no one should stay up to date because it could require other things to be updated to stay working.

As there is no POINT other than perhaps to highlight yourself as someone who should not be taken seriously and given this has nothing to do with anything except vague implications or allusions to what you have already written in your previous nine posts you should likely just stop posting on the forum unless you have a direct issue to be solved.

Else I predict it will not end well for you in the long term.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-04, 17:26

JakeF wrote:
2020-10-04, 16:41
programs that work never need updating; math and accounting don't change, like the man said figures don't lie unless liars figure.
There are several fallacies here.

The first is that software is written bug- and exploit-free the first time, which it isn't. And before you say "software should be written perfectly the first time", you're welcome to try it yourself.

The second is that software will continue to work forever and ever. While this may be true in a vacuum, most software doesn't live in a vacuum. The needs of the user, the underlying operating system, the hardware, the network, and many other factors will inevitably change over time, and that software will stop working without compatibility or feature updates to support those changes.

There's a reason every expert in the field says to keep your software updated.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-04, 17:33

Isengrim wrote:
2020-10-04, 17:26
JakeF wrote:
programs that work never need updating; math and accounting don't change, like the man said figures don't lie unless liars figure.
There are several fallacies here.

The first is that software is written bug- and exploit-free the first time, which it isn't. And before you say "software should be written perfectly the first time", you're welcome to try it yourself.
We were VERY upset when the ResizeObserver was bugged and we had to go through release engineering to get the problem fixed. Imagine how we felt when the fix exposed an even more serious crash condition that was actually more dangerous if not as widespread triggering requiring a third release to fully resolve it.

So that alone is the practical example that proves this guy completely wrong in whatever the point behind this thread was. Thank you Ascrod for pointing this and the rest out.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-04, 19:55

I do not agree with the poster's comment in regard to puppylinux.Certainly is not bloatware and built in packages can be removed etc.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-04, 20:14

Relocating this to the general discussion board.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-04, 20:22

JakeF wrote:
this is the nature of software -- all software eventually becomes Bloatware
Then I wonder what you are doing using a web browser to visit this forum that has been updated since its RTM state. Oh, that's right, it would not even be able to connect to the forum because the internet evolves every day. So, are those added, updated and changed features that allow your browser to work on the current web "bloat" then? No, by definition they are not because they cater to the software's primary function in a changing environment.
Stating it as a factual inevitability sets your premise as an ivory tower one. That's fine, your choice to stay locked in your tower and not allow anything in, but don't expect the world around your tower to stop spinning just because you no longer want to look at it. Oh and hey there's a good chance there will be skyscrapers next to your tower soon enough that are taller and have better amenities. :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite