Praise and Kudos to Team Moonchild!

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
DevGuy

Praise and Kudos to Team Moonchild!

Unread post by DevGuy » 2020-07-31, 18:02

I want to thank Mr Straver and team Moonchild for keeping Pale Moon going now for around eleven years. I've contributed in the past and I'll be making a PayPal contribution to again help show my appreciation. Well done!

Mozilla has taken Firefox in an increasingly self serving, locked down, and annoying direction. Google has done everything they can to make sure Chrome, and even Chromium and its variants, feed their endless and epic greed for personal data collection which is still over 90% of their revenue model. It's one of their most successful "free" carrots on a stick that tracks so much of what literally billions of users do online. And Microsoft seems to be on a mission to be more like Google in any and every way they can including massive personal data collection. What happens when Google and/or Microsoft are hacked Equifax style or a disgruntled employee goes rogue Edward Snowden style?

Meanwhile the world of browsers has become almost prohibitively complex forcing nearly all to be 95% based on one of a few open source projects or to be so limiting as to be almost unusable on today's web. Somehow Pale Moon has found and maintained a unique and useful balance between those extremes and it's also multi-platform. I think it's vastly under appreciated.

I strongly encourage others to take some time out to post something positive, contribute, etc. to help make sure the project continues or soon we'll be left with zero viable alternatives not controlled by giant global commercial greedy corporate entities.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Praise and Kudos to Team Moonchild!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-01, 09:32

Thanks for your very positive post!

"Team Moonchild"? :lol: Makes me think of Twilight ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-08-01, 09:44

I share the sentiment 100%.Cracking fully customised browser which i have used for years. :thumbup:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Billyhook
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Billyhook » 2020-08-01, 11:33

DevGuy wrote:
2020-07-31, 18:02
I want to thank Mr Straver and team Moonchild for keeping Pale Moon going now for around eleven years. I've contributed in the past and I'll be making a PayPal contribution to again help show my appreciation. Well done!

Mozilla has taken Firefox in an increasingly self serving, locked down, and annoying direction. Google has done everything they can to make sure Chrome, and even Chromium and its variants, feed their endless and epic greed for personal data collection which is still over 90% of their revenue model. It's one of their most successful "free" carrots on a stick that tracks so much of what literally billions of users do online. And Microsoft seems to be on a mission to be more like Google in any and every way they can including massive personal data collection. What happens when Google and/or Microsoft are hacked Equifax style or a disgruntled employee goes rogue Edward Snowden style?

Meanwhile the world of browsers has become almost prohibitively complex forcing nearly all to be 95% based on one of a few open source projects or to be so limiting as to be almost unusable on today's web. Somehow Pale Moon has found and maintained a unique and useful balance between those extremes and it's also multi-platform. I think it's vastly under appreciated.

I strongly encourage others to take some time out to post something positive, contribute, etc. to help make sure the project continues or soon we'll be left with zero viable alternatives not controlled by giant global commercial greedy corporate entities.
You have said the right thing, reading it felt energetic and happy. Thank you |

DevGuy

Unread post by DevGuy » 2020-08-02, 22:40

I'm glad to provide some incentive to keep Pale Moon going via Paypal and well deserved praise. So often projects like this become largely thankless tasks with far more people complaining than being appreciative. It's easy to see why someone who's largely volunteering their time might decide it's no longer worth the effort. I'd encourage everyone using Pale Moon to not let that happen as the browser alternatives have a serious downside.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2020-08-17, 10:21

Moonchild wrote:
2020-08-01, 09:32
Thanks for your very positive post!

"Team Moonchild"? :lol: Makes me think of Twilight ;)

I wish I had thought to make the op's post, but yeah, mozilla is becoming way too much like google... despite their propaganda/lies they spew.

I appreciate you giving people an alternative... Whether its basilisk or palemoon, you are a good guy man. I hope you stay around and palemoon/basilisk for a very, very long time. You sure do work your ass off for everyone, and what more can be done than to donate to you or help ya out.
I myself am not a developer, but I intend at some point to send funds your way.

By the way, there are probably no words I can say to express my gratitude for you not only providing an alternative, but for ditching that webextensions junk. That may be one reason the new firefox eats up ram more than palemoon. ;)

anywho, thanks in advance man, you rock! Never give up man!

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-18, 05:59

zapper wrote:
2020-08-17, 10:21
Whether its basilisk or palemoon, you are a good guy man.
Off-topic:
Moonchild, Good Guy Man

I wonder if this is the first time that Moonchild has been dubbed with a title like this. I can imagine an "about the author" section on the Pale Moon website: "Moonchild has been lauded as a 'good guy man' by his loyal community".

Well, so long as you aren't calling him a good guyman...
zapper wrote:
2020-08-17, 10:21
Never give up man!
Off-topic:
Ho! Few know of Moonchild's Mega Man persona. If I recall correctly, he's sort of like Proto Man, giving the protagonist a helpful power-up during certain parts of the game, and saving them before they can get caught in explosions.
Last edited by Tharthan on 2020-08-18, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-18, 06:16

Tharthan wrote:
2020-08-18, 05:59
Off-topic:
You're on a roll today :lol:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-18, 09:27

I'm pretty sure they meant to put a comma there: "you're a good guy, man."
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-18, 10:29

Well, of course. But if we assume that, then the ability to make the joke is lost!
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-18, 10:37

I prefer clarity in communication over the potential to joke about something any day.
Call me boring if you must. I can take it 8-)

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2020-08-24, 01:20

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-18, 06:16
Tharthan wrote:
2020-08-18, 05:59
Off-topic:
You're on a roll today :lol:
Lol, i didn't realize i did that, hah... w/e man... the thought still is appropriate. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-24, 01:54

k.. Did someone forget Binary Outcast?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-24, 08:23

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-08-24, 01:54
k.. Did someone forget Binary Outcast?
Three cheers for Team Tobin too!

drkw1z4rd

Unread post by drkw1z4rd » 2020-08-26, 19:35

Hard agree.

Shot a donation their way and joined the IRC. Support Pale Moon!

docR11

Unread post by docR11 » 2020-08-27, 04:08

I'm back after a 2 (maybe 3?) year hiatus juggling between Chromium and Firefox. I sort of made an ill-fated resolution with myself at the time to use something more mainstream to conserve time on the cusp of starting university and convinced myself that the current browserscape couldn't possibly get any worse... It did in fact get much worse. :wtf: Firefox 'Quantum' in the beginning was rather barebones, but it wasn't particularly annoying to use either. Mozilla spared no energy in 'fixing' that shortcoming, as (mis)fortune would have it. Between the updater losing its toggle-ability, startup profiling, extensions perms essentially cloning Chrome's -- thus needing more clicks to setup. Increasingly less UI standardization, more panels and less native styling which XUL provided. Furthermore, profiles, for reasons unbeknownst to me became less modular. So transferring profile data around between machines essentially became unfeasible. There's the sync service, which worked alright. But it sort of bites more than it can chew, so to speak. It doesn't remember extension preferences. At all. Not even simple ones, like whether or not an adblocker is permitted to run in Private Browsing mode or not :wtf: Granted, no sync solution is perfect. Not even PM's. The difference here is that its supplementary to a very modular profile arrangement.

Next of course we have the issue of release cycle and state of (very hacky) deeper UI personalization. There's some rather lovely userChrome tweaks and the like, notably from Aris-t2 and B00ze64. But my gravest fear lies in the fact that I must first tell Firefox apply userChrome styling in the increasingly dumbed down configurations editor. (Anyone remember Chrome's top-chrome-md?) Furthermore there's the rate of updates themselves, constantly making superficial changes (but significant enough to render CSS themes obsolete). One crude solution of sorts is to use ESR, but even this arrangement has flaws. My biggest petpeeve is release quality. One would think a version slated for Extended Support would be pretty solid? Not so. 68, the current ESR slated for its last update after 68.12, consumes more CPU cycles than any version of Firefox I've ever used! Meanwhile just about every other 60.x / 70.x is relatively ok in this regard. Sooooo :crazy:

The same, and even a bit worse applies to Chromium-based browsers too so I won't touch on that in since I've already written a book full of Firefox caveats (bonus points for them slating removal of 7 support next year, despite W10 really just being NT 6.x covered in feces) :mrgreen:

(The sole reason I keep Ff or Chromium around is for WebRTC calling and Widevine.)

Suffice to say. If you haven't ventured away from Pale Moon in some time. Stop and take a moment to appreciate it and UXP project as a whole. I cannot stress my thanks enough for what is offered here, it's effectively Firefox before it was swept away by Chrome. Many thanks to the developers, extensions maintainers, theme artists (lootyhoof in particular for their ports of aeromoon and kempelton), and all those otherwise involved. I'll be donating in the near future ;)

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2020-08-27, 07:15

Love the work MC and Tobin are doing with Pale Moon, Interlink etc. Really great programs to use. Probably the only pieces of software in the browser market that removes and streamlines code, this is why I am here.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-08-27, 15:43

docR11 wrote:
2020-08-27, 04:08
Furthermore, profiles, for reasons unbeknownst to me became less modular. So transferring profile data around between machines essentially became unfeasible
Can you explain this better?

docR11

Unread post by docR11 » 2020-08-27, 16:16

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-08-27, 15:43
Can you explain this better?
Sure. Basically, the ability to move the contents of a browser profile (on Windows stored somewhere in AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions) from one machine to another. Or to recover from that profile copy after say, reinstalling the OS.
Off-topic:
It's not a practice I would advise doing often. It's usually something I'll resort to after starting a clean profile. After customizing everything to my liking, UI, extension prefs, etc. I'll import the profile into both of my machines, my Xeon machine and Latitude. Then periodically I'll make profile backups (separate ones on each machine) in case of a catastrophic failure or user error resulting in data loss to a profile.

Now nothing is stopping you from finding the profile location in Firefox and doing the same, however I've found it to be rather crippled. Importing a profile backup will usually result in breakage, from my experience. Furthermore if you install a rogue update and want to roll back a mere one version, the profile will be locked out with an incompatibility message. So you either reinstall the latest copy, or start an entirely new profile

Firefox not fun tl;dr