Paypal donation button needs update?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
PikachuEXE
Moongazer
Moongazer

Paypal donation button needs update?

Unread post by PikachuEXE » 2020-06-20, 10:55

I tried to use the donation button on https://www.palemoon.org/
Since Patreon way is gonna be shutdown
But the paypal page after pressing the button only allows me to sign in (even I am already signed in) after many captchas
and I still can't donate after I am really signed in
It seems the button lead to one of the old version of page
Please let me know how to donate monthly :D

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Paypal donation button needs update?

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-20, 11:35

Check if your adblocker is blocking any relevant scripts from paypal, or try again after turning it off. Also if you've been changing your user agent or using an extension that changes it to hide your browser, you might appear like a bot and then they break out multiple captchas.

For example, paypal.com requires scripts from paypalobjects.com to function properly. I just logged in, and since I was doing it after a long time, I had to enter a captcha followed by SMS verification, but then it logs in.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

PikachuEXE
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by PikachuEXE » 2020-06-20, 11:59

Thanks
Your solution partially works
I turned off ad blocker and I am redirected to donation page after sign in
But there is no option for recurring donation

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2020-06-20, 12:48

That monthly donation option is not visible to you?

Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-20, 14:15

I freshly generated the button code, so no, there's nothing else I can do on our end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mtosev
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mtosev » 2020-06-21, 19:44

Just donated 7usd. Hope you find it useful even if it's such a small donation.
Main rig
Asus Prime X299 Edition 30, Core i9 10900X, 32GB (4x8 quad channel) 3600MHz G.Skill, Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, Corsair AiO watercooling, Dell UltraSharp UP3017, Windows 11 Pro

Inspiron 13 7359: Core i7 6500U, 8gb ddr3L, 500GB Samsung 860 evo, 13.3" ips full hd touch, Windows 10 Home

ThinkPad X280: Core i5 8350U, 16GB, 256GB, 12.5" ips full hd touch, Windows 11 Home

Huawei MatePad T10s 64/4GB

PikachuEXE
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by PikachuEXE » 2020-06-22, 02:43

@hujan86
Thanks for the screenshot
I should have posted mine when asking
This is what I am redirected to after signing in (even with the new screen shown first)
The recurring option is gone and is old style
I tried with a private window (which makes me need to sign in again) and still not working
Paypal website maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-22, 05:55

You may want to ask PayPal about this. Perhaps you need to change account settings to enable recurring payments, or perhaps it is a regional restriction for HK.
You can of course always manually do this each month too, but of course that's annoying if unnecessary.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-06-22, 07:07

Recurring options are generally not available in areas which have more stricter rules regarding payments and banking, i.e. 2FA / OTP authentication for card payments.

PikachuEXE
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by PikachuEXE » 2020-06-25, 23:06

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-26, 09:13

Totally not valid any longer. PayPal has long since made recurring donations an integral part of their service, and it's a standard option when creating the button code, resulting (for almost everyone) in the screenshot hujan86 posted above. All of that is determined server-side by the PayPal service provider though, so if it's different it's a regional or account thing.

StrangeCookie

Unread post by StrangeCookie » 2020-10-28, 16:25

JFYI, Paypal page for donation looks rather not usable in Pale Moon at the moment. Ad blocker was turned off but no luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-28, 16:45

What is "not usable" about that?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-28, 18:01

I can at confirm it does work as expected.
step.jpg
complete.png
YES.. I just spent a dollar to prove you wrong. How's THAT for putting your money where your mouth is.

tijara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by tijara » 2020-10-28, 18:12

StrangeCookie wrote:
2020-10-28, 16:25
JFYI, Paypal page for donation looks rather not usable in Pale Moon at the moment. Ad blocker was turned off but no luck.
Your global defaults might be too hard. My eMatrix has issues with a few sites even when the entire local scope is allowed. I don't know the details, but sometimes you have to allow global rules. Especially you do things like blocking 1st party scripts globally.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-29, 09:58

If you use Paypal, you have to whitelist the domain paypalobjects.com and paypalstatic.com in eMatrix and other adblockers.

Actually a no-brainer since most big sites these days use additional domains or CDNs with the same name. Facebook uses fbcdn.net, for example.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX