Why the new logo? I'm curious.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Why the new logo? I'm curious.

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-06, 03:49

It's... an interesting choice. I don't have much else personally to say about it. What led to the new logo?
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Why the new logo? I'm curious.

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2019-07-06, 05:20

Issues #963, #964 and #1010 may be of interest to you...

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-07-06, 05:38

Hmm... I think perhaps it's meant to symbolize the beginning of a new era in the Pale Moon project.

The older logo was more photorealistic and looked at the moon from a specific physical angle. It represented the pursuit of one specific goal, from a specific angle.

The new logo is a more idealized, abstract, and timeless representation of the moon as something more like a marble sphere in the sky, perhaps much as the ancient Greeks saw it. It's a representation of the moon as an ideal that cannot be contained within a single perspective. Rather than just building towards one specific goal, now it focuses on the pursuit of the ideal that inspired the original goal.

I don't actually know if that's why they did it, but if I try to make sense of the change from a more artistic and symbolic perspective, that's what I come up with.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-06, 06:28

I'd buy that. I like it.

GigaWatt

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2019-07-06, 08:15

athenian200 wrote:
2019-07-06, 05:38
The new logo is a more idealized, abstract, and timeless representation of the moon as something more like a marble sphere in the sky, perhaps much as the ancient Greeks saw it. It's a representation of the moon as an ideal that cannot be contained within a single perspective. Rather than just building towards one specific goal, now it focuses on the pursuit of the ideal that inspired the original goal.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-07-06, 06:28
I'd buy that. I like it.
Proof that little thought was put into what the new logo is supposed to represent :roll:.

Personally, I have no objection to the logo being changed, change is good (after all, isn't that one of the reasons why we update our software ;)). My problem is that it's kind of bluish gray, which is really hard to distinguish on the classic Windows theme, which I use on almost all my PCs.

What you should have done is used this icon, but added a black shade, make part of it resemble the dark side of the moon ;). That would've made it more distinguishable on all kinds of desktop environments ;).

PS: Was there a poll for this somewhere?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-06, 08:44

Welp, guess what thread is gonna be locked now and who is getting a warning.

Moderators, please handle this.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-07-06, 09:21

It is a moon, it is pale. It is the correct shape (except for when the moon is crescent).

So, apart from not being 100% accurate all the time, it says to me "I am the moon, the pale moon".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxyD2pB6mWA
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-06, 09:41

GigaWatt wrote:
2019-07-06, 08:15
Proof that little thought was put into what the new logo is supposed to represent :roll:.
. . . And who redesigned the branding and made that decision? Not Tobin. So this is no proof of anything and you can stop being obnoxious about it or trying to hang people by (your interpretation of) their words -- ever thought about that Tobin's remark is likely just an expression of "that's a good articulation of it"? Obviously not.

Whatever the thoughts behind the new logo design are, are my own; articulated or not doesn't matter -- you may interpret that as you wish, aside from the obvious things I've already stated.

Also, thread locked.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite