Reliable Email providers?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Reliable Email providers?

Unread post by van p » 2022-05-23, 00:30

Restoreprivacy.com has reviews of products in several software categories, including email.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-23, 07:03

van p wrote:
2022-05-23, 00:30
Restoreprivacy.com has reviews of products in several software categories, including email.
Since when is e-mail a "software category"? :think: :coffee:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-05-23, 07:17

MTA, MSA and MUA is software and there are MUAs that spy out the user.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-23, 07:21

But this thread is about e-mail providers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-05-23, 09:55

This comparison might be helpful:

https://lissy93.github.io/email-comparison/

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-05-23, 12:05

htuyar wrote:
2022-05-23, 09:55
This comparison might be helpful:

https://lissy93.github.io/email-comparison/
The only apparently useful (to me at least) in that list were Mailfence and Disroot. Cannot afford anything paid.
- Disroot has thrown a 'closed for the weekend' message over a Garfield-looking cat picture although it has been Monday on this side of the world for quite a while.
- Mailfence is advertised on the list as providing POP3/IMAP/SMTP but it doesn't say they are only available with a paid plan, not for the free plan. So I have created an account for nothing - no IMAP+SMTP, no use to me.

But that is not all. Mailfence are... how should I put it mildly?... picky. That is to avoid the word 'racists'. Trying to create an account directly in Pale Moon, thus providing them with my geolocation data, yielded a dry 'registration closed' message. However a subsequent attempt couple minutes later through Tor was successful. I do have a screenshot if needed.

Last I checked - probably one year ago or more - Tutanota were downloading some code in the browser to make it work. At some point Pale Moon became incompatible with their code so I stopped using the service. After a while when rechecking I was told the account had been disabled due to lack of usage. So it appears the account is "temporary" as some consider it. Moreover they do not provide POP/IMAP/SMTP access, or at least they didn't when I last checked.

Looks like there is no choice (for me). Other suggestions...?

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2022-05-23, 14:05

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-23, 07:03
van p wrote:
2022-05-23, 00:30
Since when is e-mail a "software category"? :think: :coffee:
Close enough.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-23, 15:13

Drugwash wrote:
2022-05-23, 12:05
Cannot afford anything paid.
Drugwash wrote:
2022-05-23, 12:05
Looks like there is no choice (for me). Other suggestions...?
If you can't pay a few bucks for an essential service then your options will inevitably be limited to services where you are the product, charities with dubious motives, or individual offerings from people providing services for free that can be unreliable or are subject to being abused (causing delivery issues for you because of reputation).

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-05-23, 15:38

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-23, 15:13
If you can't pay a few bucks for an essential service then your options will inevitably be limited to services where you are the product [...]
Frankly this is true for all the "big" players too so what's the difference. However for me it's a matter of principle. I had accounts with many of the big ones but deleted them one by one when their ToSes became unacceptable officially. All I'm left with is the account I'm registered here with, and if this goes belly up...
Off-topic:
Due to health problems I've been unemployed for my whole life save for about an year all in all. No income whatsoever. Can't even pay my bills or buy food - how would I pay for e-mail or other similar services? :(

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-23, 21:23

Drugwash wrote:
2022-05-23, 15:38
how would I pay for e-mail
Vivaldi's webmail can be accessed via IMAP, you get 5gb of storage for free. Their privacy policy looks better to me than that of companies like Google. They do require a phone number and a backup email address at registration, which is a bit of a hassle. But otherwise I've been able to get registered and get it to work fine with the version of Epyrus that I built.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-05-23, 22:09

andyprough wrote:
2022-05-23, 21:23
They do require a phone number [...]
Unacceptable, sorry.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-23, 22:55

Drugwash wrote:
2022-05-23, 22:09
andyprough wrote:
2022-05-23, 21:23
They do require a phone number [...]
Unacceptable, sorry.
No problem, I'm glad I found it, works well. Good luck in your hunt. Sounds like what you are looking for is Disroot, hopefully they will make registration available for you.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-05-23, 23:41

andyprough wrote:
2022-05-23, 22:55
Sounds like what you are looking for is Disroot, hopefully they will make registration available for you.
It worked now. Still going through last steps. The part about question and answer was aggravating: minimum 150 characters (?!?) and only a-z.,'". Waste of time and nerves.
One thing that might raise concerns for some people is the following excerpt from their ToS:
5. Per Service additional privacy policies and exceptions:
[...]
5.6. email
- all emails, unless encrypted by user (with gpg for example) are stored on our servers in plain-text.
(emphasis mine)
Luckily I don't care much as long as it's not part of the "big players".

Oh and processing could take up to 48 hours. Are they calculating bits by hand with an abacus or something...?! Oh well, guess I should just be glad it worked. At least until they reveal whether IMAP/SMTP are available or not.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-24, 00:57

Drugwash wrote:
2022-05-23, 23:41
It worked now. Still going through last steps.
Excellent! If Epyrus does not automatically set up IMAP for Disroot, then I think you could follow the Thunderbird instructions on this page to get it working: https://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2020/12/begi ... sroot.html

EDIT: I signed up for a Disroot account myself just now. We'll find out soon enough if it will work with Epyrus. I've also received the 48-hour wait email like you did.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-05-24, 06:34

andyprough wrote:
2022-05-24, 00:57
[...] I think you could follow the Thunderbird instructions [...]
Thanks but I'm using different clients. Surprinsingly - for some - I still use my old Windows client even on Linux Mint: POP Peeper. The free version, of course. It does have a few nasty issues with Wine (which I won't get into) but it's still the only interface I feel comfortable with after all tests with native clients. My account got cleared already and PP did the setup automatically for IMAP/SMTP, no hassle whatsoever.

However, the native Claws Mail seems to come very close behind, and I'm gonna set it up as an alternative - since the free version of PP can't check Spam, Trash and any other custom folders - in order to avoid having to use the much-too-heavy Evolution client or the web interface.

When your account gets cleared you'll get a notification at the recovery address containing useful links for setting up clients and other stuff related to their services.
Good luck! :thumbup:

P.S. The verification e-mail message came directly in Spam for me so if you didn't get that you should check your Spam a.s.a.p. before it expires (if it does).

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-24, 12:51

Drugwash wrote:
2022-05-24, 06:34
When your account gets cleared you'll get a notification at the recovery address containing useful links for setting up clients and other stuff related to their services.
Good luck! :thumbup:
OK, I got the verification email. I've tried Disroot on my build of Epyrus and it works. All I had to do was put in the email address and password, Epyrus was able to figure out how to set up the account automatically.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-05-24, 14:23

Same for me with POP Peeper. With Claws Mail it was a bit... different due to my unfamiliarity of the interface, but easy enough to complete it quickly and succesfully. :)

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2022-06-03, 16:06

I have paid to use Protonmail for 5 years now, and I have had no issues with them. They are great. I use Protonmail Bridge with my desktop email clients. I only wish their Android app was on F-Droid. Otherwise I highly recommend. Never had any issues of emails going to spam when sent to others.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2022-06-04, 16:40

I have used Proton for years. But my needs are not all that complex. I use Proton because they do not phish emails to sell stuff or to anybody who does. I am happy to pay the basic annual charge to get their app. It allows me to use Outlook. I have only used this since Outlook Express which, imo, was still the best version of it to date. The Proton Bridge app works with an Apple, Windows or Linux OS. They mention Thunderbird, Outlook and Apple mail.

I am a bit of a privacy nut and the fact Proton stores emails encrypted, which they say they cannot read, is an very important feature. They are far from perfect. They just did a major upgrade to their site and suddenly 95% of my healthcare related emails are being tagged as potentially unsafe. I am waiting to hear from them how I or they fix this.

To the best of my knowledge I have never sent an email which later proved to have vanished into the recipients Spam folder. But I send email for a reason and that is usually for something where I expect a response. When one doesn't come, I pursue things further even if it means using another approach. But my personal opinion is nobody yet has developed a spam filter that really works well.

Proton also offers a VPN, calendar and cloud storage, none of which I have ever used.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2022-06-09, 10:13

I have used Posteo for years. Much cheaper than Proton, never any trouble and no sneaking into my private life... Their online client is disgusting, looks like Win10, but I don't use it at all, only Thunderbird.
Btw, I have a Posteo alias address that draws emails from my old Gmail accounts and it still works despite Googles new attempts to prevent such ecosystem counteract 8-)