UXP based application

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
djgpp
Moonbather
Moonbather

UXP based application

Post by djgpp » 2021-04-13, 05:53

Hi. I'm not good at licensing problem. Could I develop proprietary application using UXP? Or I forced to release the source with the same license as UXP itself? Thanks.

Pentium4User
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: UXP based application

Post by Pentium4User » 2021-04-13, 06:03

djgpp wrote:
2021-04-13, 05:53
Hi. I'm not good at licensing problem. Could I develop proprietary application using UXP? Or I forced to release the source with the same license as UXP itself? Thanks.
This depends on the license, there are different licenses in use.
https://www.palemoon.org/licensing.shtml
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... er/LICENSE
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... cense.html
Powerline adapters (dLAN) hardly interfere shortwave radio, so stop using them.

Yes, I still use a 64 bit capable Pentium 4 670 processor with Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2021-04-13, 06:26

You could create a proprietary application based on UXP, and not have it Open Source licensed, provided that:
  • Your application code is written from scratch and doesn't use existing application code from Open Source licenced applications like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Ambassador, Xulrunner, etc.
  • You either use a completely unaltered UXP platform with clear indication of the source, or release the platform source code if any modifications have been made.
  • Your application contains a notice that it is based on UXP and that UXP is released under the Mozilla Public License 2.0. Credit is required in the licensing.
  • You must also comply with the secondary licenses in use in the UXP source; you may possibly have to exclude certain features if they are incompatible with your application's intended proprietary licensing, although to my knowledge there should not be any major issues.
If you have any doubts about the specifics, I suggest you contact your lawyer to evaluate creating a larger work based on UXP code.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss

djgpp
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by djgpp » 2021-04-13, 07:53

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-13, 06:26
You could create a proprietary application based on UXP, and not have it Open Source licensed, provided that:
  • Your application code is written from scratch and doesn't use existing application code from Open Source licenced applications like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Ambassador, Xulrunner, etc.
  • You either use a completely unaltered UXP platform with clear indication of the source, or release the platform source code if any modifications have been made.
  • Your application contains a notice that it is based on UXP and that UXP is released under the Mozilla Public License 2.0. Credit is required in the licensing.
  • You must also comply with the secondary licenses in use in the UXP source; you may possibly have to exclude certain features if they are incompatible with your application's intended proprietary licensing, although to my knowledge there should not be any major issues.
If you have any doubts about the specifics, I suggest you contact your lawyer to evaluate creating a larger work based on UXP code.
Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-13, 07:54

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.