Praise and Kudos to Team Moonchild!

General project discussion
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Praise and Kudos to Team Moonchild!

Post by adesh » 2020-08-29, 08:43

Off-topic:
Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-08-27, 15:43
Can you explain this better?
Explained here - https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fir ... reuse.html

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-08-29, 09:06

Off-topic:
Actually that article seems to be misinformed. The way that was designed was so you by default couldn't downgrade a profile from a newer version of the browser to an older version of the browser. That is known to cause issues (as we all know on this forum here too! especially switching back and forth between Pale Moon milestones can corrupt profiles irreparably. The reason for this is that migration to newer version profile data is, necessarily, one-way (an older version of the browser cannot migrate it back -- it can't have knowledge of future changes when released). It should never pop up when using an -old- profile.
if this pops up on exactly the same browser version then that would be a bug in Firefox's feature not detecting what is a downgrade, but it's just as likely that it's user error and isn't in fact, the same version of the browser and an attempt is made to use a later profile on an older installation.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

ControlData

Post by ControlData » 2020-09-03, 05:24

Kudos to the Binary Outcast from me; I'm back to Pale Moon thanks to Interlink.

To Tobin: thanks and respect.

bookreader876
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by bookreader876 » 2020-09-04, 17:46

After using Pale Moon for a whole lot longer, I thought I'd come here and say the same, and say a thank you. This is a rare, ambitious—and valuable—project. Everything works, the browser fits my system aesthetic perfectly like Firefox used to before it all changed, and it still functions like it should with a constantly changing Web. I do hope this project survives in a stable way for years to come.

Tharthan
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by Tharthan » 2020-09-04, 17:50

bookreader876 wrote:
2020-09-04, 17:46
This is a rare, ambitious—and valuable—project. [...] I do hope this project survives in a stable way for years to come.
Well, it has been around for about eleven years now. I'd say that that is certainly a mark in its favour. Wouldn't you?
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

WiseWolf
New to the forum
New to the forum

Post by WiseWolf » 2020-10-17, 17:49

Tharthan wrote:
2020-09-04, 17:50
bookreader876 wrote:
2020-09-04, 17:46
This is a rare, ambitious—and valuable—project. [...] I do hope this project survives in a stable way for years to come.
Well, it has been around for about eleven years now. I'd say that that is certainly a mark in its favour. Wouldn't you?
This is indeed a lovely project, I hope it stays around and outlives firefox and anything google created.

I only wish I took your project more seriously back when it first began. I heard about it maybe 6 years ago, but I didn't realize it was the better option. Well, with firefox going all webextension crap, I realize that I should have been using it all along... ;)