A YT guy I discovered just today put PM in 6 best browsers

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

A YT guy I discovered just today put PM in 6 best browsers

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-03-25, 03:16

I don't think this is "Off Topic", so here it goes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHHGmtCiW0o

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: A YT guy I discovered just today put PM in 6 best browsers

Unread post by Falna » 2020-03-25, 18:18

Just after 12 minutes for the PM section.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-03-26, 01:27

Falna wrote:
2020-03-25, 18:18
Just after 12 minutes for the PM section.
And be sure to read the comments! YT comments are always informative, and fun.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2020-03-27, 22:45

Quite interesting parts about IceCat, which I don't know, and perhaps Brave for same reason. His main line is on recommending privacy focused browser alternatives to Chrome and to mention Pale Moon isn't bad here, but his sticking to the default start.me page, as if it couldn't be changed with few clicks and as if one would have to join some "club" with it, is rather poor. At least no "outdated and insecure Firefox" talk, but even poorer the trendy gossip about 'weird insulated devs'. My 2 of 10 points for a browser review/comparison/whatever.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-28, 00:28

I just find it typical that everyone is eager to state their opinion about the developers behind this project and yet nobody takes a minute to actually contact me, the one who started all this and is still the main driving force behind it, to ask some questions before they go ahead and publish their pre-formed opinion based on gossip.
I'm not insulated. Neither are Travis, Tobin, JustOff, Lootyhoof, franklinDM, etc. etc. -- do these people actually ask any of us anything? I'm pretty sure they haven't (correct me if I'm wrong), and just base their "reviews" on equal parts social media gossip, reddit, articles written by others (hence the whole start.me thing that the O&I crowd has been hammering on re: "privacy" because they couldn't find anything more substantial to try and leverage) and maybe some personal experience, peppered with a few wild guesses and personal opinions, and maybe a dash of sensationalist claims to make it more of a click magnet.

If people really want to know things about Pale Moon, then all they have to do is ask. Is that considered weird these days?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-03-28, 01:22

Well, people being wrong about Palemoon is better than people never mentioning Palemoon. In my opinion.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-28, 04:08

I think it is worse. He gave us all of what four minutes max and the most he said was it was maybe probably an ok browser that might use its own engine but he doesn't know anything about it also we are scum of the earth assholes but he isn't gonna say that directly and also start.me sucks and we shouldn't have a couple of default bookmarks.

He just seemed weak and couldn't hardly stand talking about us. Just felt obligated for some reason. Is what I got out of it.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-03-28, 07:33

It was a low down on some browsers and was an opinion piece so to speak. I LOLed at him talking about the default home page. This isn't much of an issue since you can change it of course and mine is set to blank. But it is kinda annoying on a fresh install or using PM portable for the first time.

I never knew about UnGoogled Chromium. That looks interesting just for testing my website, etc. I keep a plain vanilla install of Firefox for when I can't submit a Google Recaptcha in PM or other sites, but UnGoogled Chromium looks like a good FF alternative.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-28, 11:12

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2020-03-28, 01:22
Well, people being wrong about Palemoon is better than people never mentioning Palemoon. In my opinion.
I'd rather have no news than fake news.
The whole reason we haven't grown more is because people kept publishing wrong things about Pale Moon, preventing a lot of people from actually giving it an honest try or, god forbid, getting involved instead of just wanting it to die.
After 10 years of that, the general populous is unlikely to have a change of heart no matter how good of a job we're doing. That is what "people being wrong about Pale Moon" (please spell it correctly) gets us.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-03-28, 20:51

I honestly never heard anyone mention Pale Moon before, outside of Styxhexenhammer saying that it's better than Firefox.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-28, 22:08

People have been shitting on the project for longer than I have been around. Go anywhere it is mentioned that allows comments or any coverage from the last 6 or so years.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-03-28, 23:40

I never heard anything bad about it. Maybe I didn't look it?

Spock_007

Unread post by Spock_007 » 2020-04-08, 06:37

I have heard the saying "There's no such thing as bad press" or something like that. I guess supposed to mean that any time you or your product or whatever are mentioned is a good thing for you. I am definitely of the opinion that there is such a thing as bad press, and I agree with what people are saying about how stories like that are not good for your browser. I think Moonchild was definitely right when he said he would rather have no news than fake news.

I think I saw that article mentioned when I came here right after finding out about Pale Moon and first installing it to check it out. I was looking around the forum and reading some messages and saw it mentioned I think, or maybe someone was talking about it somewhere else when I did the search for support for Pale Moon. I read the article and I thought it was pretty nit-picky. Like Moonchild said, the author should have contacted him and asked him any questions he had about the browser before he wrote that article. But like someone said, if he did that then it wouldn't make good 'click bait'.

I don't know much about 'journalism' but I thought that was what a 'journalist' was supposed to do before writing an article - talk to the subject of the article or people behind the situation or whatever, before they publish the article. Anyway, I like the browser and thanks to Moonchild and The Team for all their hard work on it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-08, 06:42

Spock_007 wrote:
2020-04-08, 06:37
I don't know much about 'journalism' but I thought that was what a 'journalist' was supposed to do before writing an article - talk to the subject of the article or people behind the situation or whatever, before they publish the article.
I'm afraid that real investigative journalism is pretty much dead. Hardly anyone checks their sources, and many articles are about attention and hype more than actually publishing factual news or information.

Spock_007

Unread post by Spock_007 » 2020-04-08, 23:47

Moonchild wrote:
2020-04-08, 06:42
Spock_007 wrote:
2020-04-08, 06:37
I don't know much about 'journalism' but I thought that was what a 'journalist' was supposed to do before writing an article - talk to the subject of the article or people behind the situation or whatever, before they publish the article.
I'm afraid that real investigative journalism is pretty much dead. Hardly anyone checks their sources, and many articles are about attention and hype more than actually publishing factual news or information.
Amen to that. Unfortunately.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-04-09, 06:49

What article? You people keep saying "article" and this is not an article but just some YouTuber talking about browsers. I don't even think he's part of the press so don't even give him that much credit when referring to journalism. journalism this is not. It's like an unboxing video if that.