Trouble report: opening log file

Board for discussions around the Ambassador chat client and extension.

Moderator: Isengrim

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Trouble report: opening log file

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2019-07-07, 21:29

Clicked the logging button, this link appeared:
[INFO] Now logging to <file:///C:/Dat/Profiles/Ambassador/ambassador/logs/freenode/channels/%23binaryoutcast.2019-07-05.log>.
but clicking that link throws a messagebox: Cannot open file,

Code: Select all

"C:\B\file:\C:\Dat\Profiles\Ambassador\ambassador\logs\freenode\channels\%23binaryoutcast.2019-07-05.log" cannot be opened:
Folder "C:\B\file:\C:\Dat\Profiles\Ambassador\ambassador\logs\freenode\channels" doesn't exist. [OK]
--
          "file:///C:/Dat/Profiles/Ambassador/ambassador/logs/"
is the value of Preferences / Global / Logging / Log folder, but "Log this view" is un-checked/off.
Even after changing "Log this view" to checked/on and adding a line of chat, the messagebox still appears.
The log file is actually "C:\Dat\Profiles\Ambassador\Ambassador\Logs\freenode\channels\#binaryoutcast.2019-07-05.log"

That 'C:\B\' seems to be a problem. It happens to be the folder containing the batch script which executes Start "" "C:\Apps\Ambassador\Ambassador.EXE"

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Trouble report: opening log file

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-12, 22:10

Looks like this only affects the standalone version on Windows. It works fine if you use it as an extension, or with the standalone version on Linux. (Cannot confirm the Mac standalone version at this time.)

Adding this to the issue tracker.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Trouble report: opening log file

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-14, 00:22

So I did some testing, and it turns out that this same bug manifests on standalone ChatZilla 0.9.92 (which builds on the Firefox 35.0.1 platform), so this bug looks pretty long-standing, if somewhat obscure. I think it's an issue in the underlying platform, so I've submitted #1178 on UXP for that. I've also put in a workaround for the issue in Ambassador. It'll be in the next release.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story