Tabs and small stuff

Board for discussions around the Ambassador chat client and extension.

Moderator: Isengrim

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Tabs and small stuff

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-23, 12:15

Hi, 1st i wanna say thank you for bringing a new irc client for us, there arent never many of those. ;) - Too bad neither you or chatzilla isnt seen anymore on add-ons search inside basilisk. :/

Now on small stuff, the date in the site is wrong plus it doesnt mention support for basilisk http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ambassador/

I was wondering if it would be possible in the future to have a irc system similar to opera 12 where you browse using the tabs of the browser itself (chatzilla/ambassador have those but not officially plus they are in the bottom and they are too small). Aside that, opera 12 has a handy irc panel in the sidebar that allows to open the channels you added with a click, something pretty nice to have in pale moon/basilisk too. ;) - you can see those here http://www.hostpic.org/images/1809231732270126.gif
Core i7 3770 3.4 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Tabs and small stuff

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-23, 14:30

The add-on page needs a better description, just haven't had time to update it yet. The wrong date is an artifact of using the build system to produce the XPI, which I need to look into. Attempting to change an add-on once it has been uploaded causes problems with updates, unfortunately, so it will be that way for the foreseeable future.

As for the tabs, it probably wouldn't be possible to integrate them into the browser in this way without completely rewriting the whole application. However, you can add IRC URLs as bookmarks to your browser, so that when you click on them they will open in Ambassador. You can also use CTRL+TAB to cycle through tabs without using the mouse.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-23, 15:49

Isengrim wrote:The add-on page needs a better description, just haven't had time to update it yet. The wrong date is an artifact of using the build system to produce the XPI, which I need to look into. Attempting to change an add-on once it has been uploaded causes problems with updates, unfortunately, so it will be that way for the foreseeable future.
I understand, this is surely a strange problem, never saw this before.
As for the tabs, it probably wouldn't be possible to integrate them into the browser in this way without completely rewriting the whole application. However, you can add IRC URLs as bookmarks to your browser, so that when you click on them they will open in Ambassador. You can also use CTRL+TAB to cycle through tabs without using the mouse.
I see, thank you for all the hints. :)

Btw, still regarding tabs, did you look at opera 12's source code to see how all of this is done? Maybe you wont have to rewrite the extension just for this. ;)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-23, 22:40

Aztec wrote:Btw, still regarding tabs, did you look at opera 12's source code to see how all of this is done? Maybe you wont have to rewrite the extension just for this. ;)
Considering that Opera/Presto's code is C++ while Ambassador uses XUL, XPCOM, HTML, JavaScript, and CSS, the code is just not that comparable. It would be a ton of work (months, if I had to guess) just to figure out what the C++ code does and then essentially rewrite all of that with the aforementioned technologies. I'm also not sure how legal it would be to utilize, in any fashion, source code that was neither intentionally published by Opera nor licensed under an open license.

It would really be easier to implement a brand new extension for Pale Moon or Basilisk that implements a similar set of features as to what you are looking for, and I encourage your or anyone who wants to try their hand at making one to do so. At this time I simply do not have the time to completely devote myself to a project of that size, and from a directional standpoint, I intend for Ambassador's look and feel to stay more or less as it is.

One last tip - if you want to run Ambassador in a single browser tab, while not technically supported and not totally bug-free, you can try it anyway. It's basically like running the whole window in one tab. Simply put "chrome://ambassador/content/" into your address bar. See also this part of the ChatZilla FAQ (which is mostly applicable to Ambassador).
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-25, 17:26

Thanks for the explanation about the differences between the codes and stuff.

Regarding running on a single tab i already tried that (made a mention in the 1st post ;) ) unfortunately i didnt like it... :

Btw, latest chatzilla got a bug that maybe ambassador has it too, the global setting "show headers" if unmarked doesnt work in any channel, the only way to make the headers disappear is unmark that option for EVERY channel. :/ (i didnt test it)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-26, 02:25

Aztec wrote:Btw, latest chatzilla got a bug that maybe ambassador has it too, the global setting "show headers" if unmarked doesnt work in any channel, the only way to make the headers disappear is unmark that option for EVERY channel. :/ (i didnt test it)
I looked through the repo history, and I can't see any point in time where the global "show header" preference ever overrode the server, channel, or user preference. I think this has to do with the fact that the header is strictly a per-tab setting. If a user turns off the header in *client* tab or one of the server tabs via the View menu, I don't think they would expect the header to also turn off in the "child" tabs as well. It's not as apparent from the perspective of the Preferences window, where most pref objects inherit from their "parent" server or global objects, but it makes a lot more sense from the perspective of the View menu on the main window. So, I do think this is simply a design choice, rather than a bug.

If you want to quickly turn off the header for each tab you have open, you can CTRL+TAB through each one and hit CTRL+SHIFT+H to toggle the header.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-26, 11:41

Isengrim wrote:
Aztec wrote:Btw, latest chatzilla got a bug that maybe ambassador has it too, the global setting "show headers" if unmarked doesnt work in any channel, the only way to make the headers disappear is unmark that option for EVERY channel. :/ (i didnt test it)
I looked through the repo history, and I can't see any point in time where the global "show header" preference ever overrode the server, channel, or user preference. I think this has to do with the fact that the header is strictly a per-tab setting. If a user turns off the header in *client* tab or one of the server tabs via the View menu, I don't think they would expect the header to also turn off in the "child" tabs as well. It's not as apparent from the perspective of the Preferences window, where most pref objects inherit from their "parent" server or global objects, but it makes a lot more sense from the perspective of the View menu on the main window. So, I do think this is simply a design choice, rather than a bug.

If you want to quickly turn off the header for each tab you have open, you can CTRL+TAB through each one and hit CTRL+SHIFT+H to toggle the header.
I see, too bad this isnt said in the global settings' section, thank you for the info and for all tips.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-26, 12:25

FWIW, I would not like it if what I do on the display of one individual message, that I have opened separately, would influence other tabs or messages I have open.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite