Problem with PDF downloads Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Problem with PDF downloads

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-07-25, 07:40

Using the latest PM 28 beta version (great update to PM!), although I have my preference set to "Always Ask" for PDF files in the "Applications" section of Preferences tab, every time I need to download a PDF, instead of getting asked what I want to do with the file, PM immediately opens the PDF program I use to view files. Either I am doing something wrong or this is a bug. :-)

GMforker

Re: Problem with PDF downloads

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-07-25, 08:15

AFAIK - it was cleaned too much: Issue #580 (Pale-Moon), more precisely:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 110b4d3e41

IMHO - I do not see the settings for MIME type "application/pdf" (in Pale Moon)

But I can't look at it now...
Last edited by GMforker on 2018-07-25, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-25, 09:31

It wasn't "cleaned too much", you just have to make sure you have the application setting (preferences -> applications) for the file type set to "always ask".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-07-25, 10:49

Moonchild wrote:It wasn't "cleaned too much", you just have to make sure you have the application setting (preferences -> applications) for the file type set to "always ask".
Hi Moonchild, those are my exact settings, but when I click on a PDF link, instead of asking PM opens the file in the PDF application I use.

The PM 27 versions (and earlier) worked correctly for me.

Additional comment: I have determined that this only appears to happen when the PDF is the result of a pop-up window, in a normal window PM works correctly.
Last edited by us66mo on 2018-07-25, 10:58, edited 3 times in total.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-07-25, 11:35

us66mo wrote:Additional comment: I have determined that this only appears to happen when the PDF is the result of a pop-up window, in a normal window PM works correctly.
I do not think so.

(Simple) Steps to reproduce (for PM 27.0.0 / 27.9.4 / 28beta):
- Create a new profile
- "Tools" - "Preferences" - "Applications" - "Adobe Acrobat Document" -> "Always ask"
- Restart browser
- Go to "http://www.pdf995.com/samples/pdf.pdf"
It is opened in "Adobe Acrobat..." plugin
Last edited by GMforker on 2018-07-25, 13:32, edited 4 times in total.

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-07-25, 13:25

GMforker wrote:
us66mo wrote:Additional comment: I have determined that this only appears to happen when the PDF is the result of a pop-up window, in a normal window PM works correctly.
I do not think so.

(Simple) Steps to reproduce (for PM 27.0.0 / 27.9.4 / 28beta):
- Create a new profile
- "Tools" - "Preferences" - "Appliactions" - "Adobe Acrobat Document" -> "Always ask"
- Restart browser
- Go to "http://www.pdf995.com/samples/pdf.pdf"
It is opened in "Adobe Acrobat..." plugin
I went to your link. In my case, PM beta performed correctly. However, when I order something and the website offers me a PDF as my bill via a pop-up window, PM beta then loads my PDF software to view the PDF instead of asking.
Last edited by us66mo on 2018-07-25, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-07-25, 14:11

us66mo wrote:I went to your link. In my case, PM beta performed correctly. However, when I order something and the website offers me a PDF as my bill via a pop-up window, PM beta then loads my PDF software to view the PDF instead of asking.
Have you created a new profile? That's important - for this "Steps to reproduce".
Or it depends on the system settings - probably. Mentioned fix helped me: Issue #675 (UXP)
Last edited by GMforker on 2018-07-25, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-07-25, 19:33

GMforker wrote:
us66mo wrote:I went to your link. In my case, PM beta performed correctly. However, when I order something and the website offers me a PDF as my bill via a pop-up window, PM beta then loads my PDF software to view the PDF instead of asking.
Have you created a new profile? That's important - for this "Steps to reproduce".
Or it depends on the system settings - probably. Mentioned fix helped me: Issue #675 (UXP)
Not sure what you mean with create a new profile. I just installed the PM beta version over the existing PM 27 version. Everything works fine, including the extensions I use, except for this one thing. If I create a new profile it seems I would have to reinstall everything. Not sure I want to do that.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-07-25, 19:47

us66mo wrote:Not sure what you mean with create a new profile. I just installed the PM beta version over the existing PM 27 version. Everything works fine, including the extensions I use, except for this one thing. If I create a new profile it seems I would have to reinstall everything. Not sure I want to do that.
It's just for testing that it does not work properly. Then you can delete this (testing) profile.

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-07-26, 11:18

Creating a new profile had no effect, the result with a PDF pop-up is the same.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-26, 15:55

(Looking at PM 26.3.0) it appears that PM is not respecting the 'Ask' option for PDF.

Loading, http://www.pdf995.com/samples/pdf.pdf, always opens in the browser (assuming there is a Plugin installed to handle PDF - Acrobat Reader 10, on my end). (If you actually disable Acrobat in Addons Manager, then you're prompted.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-07-26, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-07-26, 18:38

therube wrote:(Looking at PM 26.3.0) it appears that PM is not respecting the 'Ask' option for PDF.

Loading, http://www.pdf995.com/samples/pdf.pdf, always opens in the browser (assuming there is a Plugin installed to handle PDF - Acrobat Reader 10, on my end). (If you actually disable Acrobat in Addons Manager, then you're prompted.)
I found the problem. Under my PM plugins, my PDF software was enabled as a plugin. It had no effect any time I clicked on a link to a PDF (like the samples/pdf.pdf -- here PM worked correctly). It only "took over" on any PDF displayed in a pop-up window. I have disabled this plugin (did not even know that it was enabled) and the problem is solved. :-)