Window size problem with PaleMoon unstable

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Window size problem with PaleMoon unstable

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-21, 13:12

This has been going on for the last three (or four) updates to the portable unstable version. It doesn't happen with the release version, and it doesn't happen with Basilisk. I have exactly the same extensions in all the release and unstable builds. I have a couple different ones in Basilisk.

Anyway, the window of the unstable build reopens with a different size than what was on the screen when the browser closed. Specifically the vertical size (height) of the window is somehow increased to the point that when the problem occurs, the window is usually so high that the Title Bar and Status bar are not visible - although I have a 27-inch monitor.

It's not the size of the monitor or my hardware, though: The very same thing happens when using the unstable build (with the same profile) on my Lenovo x220 and x200s laptops.

This occurs both when using the Restart function and when the browser is closed with the "x" in the top right corner.

It definitely doesn't happen with a new profile, so it seems to be due to my "strange" customizations.

I have the Customize Title Bar extension installed, as well as a full third-party theme (Red Cats Green Flavor), but the problem occurs even with both of them simultaneously and individually disabled. In fact, it even occurs in Safe Mode!

Another interesting aspect is that as soon as I resize the window manually from any direction (i.e. from either side or using the "resize corner" on the bottom right of the browser window), the window "corrects itself" immediately and everything is visible.

I mentioned the problem briefly in another thread, to which GMforker kindly replied.
GMforker wrote:This: base/content/browser.xul#L62 remains the same (and generally - I don't see any such change in the code).
Maybe you have something (an extension) overwriting the value "main-window" (width, height...) in "xulstore.json" (in the profile folder) - e.g. using the command "XULStore.setValue...".

I tried different things and I can not confirm it (with the Toolbar Buttons addon - with one random button and several the Flexible Spaces).
I somehow thought it would disappear by itself, but it hasn't.

For what it's worth, here's the list of my extensions.
July 21, 2018
- Add Bookmark Helper 1.0.3
- Add to Search Bar 2.7.1-signed
- Beef Taco (Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out) 1.3.7
- checkCompatibility 1.3.1-signed.1-signed
- Cleanest Addon Manager 7.1
- CookieShield 0.4.0
- customize_titlebar_v2 0.8
- Downloads Statusbar 15.2.0
- Extension List Dumper 2 1.0.2
- FireFTP 2.0.32 (Disabled)
- Google Privacy 0.2.4.1-signed.1-signed
- Google search link fix 1.4.9.1-signed
- Moon Tester Tool 1.1.6
- NoScript 5.1.8.6
- Open link in... 1.9.1-signed.1-signed
- Pale Moon Commander 2.0.2
- Quick Locale Switcher 1.7.8.5.1-signed.1-signed
- QuickPageZoom 1.6.3
- Rehost Image 1.5.20
- Restart App Button 1.1.2.1-signed
- SaveAsFilename 0.1.1-signed.1-signed
- Screengrab (fix version) 0.99.12
- Site Favicon in Urlbar 48.0.2
- SmoothWheel (mozdev.org) 0.45.8.20130519.3
- Theme Compatibility Provider 1.0.2
- Theme Tweaker 1.0.0
- Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1
- UAControl 0.1.3.1.1-signed.1-signed
- uBlock Origin 1.16.4.4
- uBlock Origin Updater 1.6.3
- User-Agent JS Fixer 1.3.1-signed.1-signed

I'll sincerely appreciate any input anyone might have. Thank you in advance.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Window size problem with PaleMoon unstable

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-21, 14:31

Exit PM
Rename xulstore.json to xulstore.json.OLD
Start PM

See what happens from there.
By renaming xulstore.json, you'll loose the customization it applied, if that matters to you.

Also, you mentioned, "window" singular.
Is that the case?

Otherwise, with multiple windows, over time, I have never found multiple windows to maintain their sizing - regardless of browser.
Typically the 1st window, & the last maximized window with focus retain size, but other then that, it is a crap shoot.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-21, 14:50

therube wrote:Exit PM
Start PM

See what happens from there.
By renaming xulstore.json, you'll loose the customization it applied, if that matters to you.
Thank you, but I'm afraid it didn't do anything.
therube wrote:Also, you mentioned, "window" singular. Is that the case?

Otherwise, with multiple windows, over time, I have never found multiple windows to maintain their sizing - regardless of browser.
Typically the 1st window, & the last maximized window with focus retain size, but other then that, it is a crap shoot.
Yes, I'm talking about only one window, i.e., only one instance of the browser is open. It also happens when only the PM unstable version is open and no other programs whatsoever.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-21, 16:03

I'm thinking sessionstore.js is playing into this?
Something like browser opens to said size (per xulstore.json), but then sessionstore.js kicks into the picture, resizing to some dimensions found in there?

So maybe to test... & test in a copy of your Profile... (& be sure & have backups)...

(Backup)
Exit PM
Rename sessionstore.js to sessionstore.js.OLD
Start PM

Test.

IOW, I open PM, closed it, reopened & it restored to the same size.
Resized PM to some known size, quit & restarted, & it restored to the same size.
Resized PM once more, quit & restarted, & it again restored to that size.

All working as expected.

Edited xulstore.json, something like:
main-window":{"screenX":"4","screenY":"4","width":"803...
& I changed it to
main-window":{"screenX":"4","screenY":"4","width":"1606

On opening PM, there was initial flash, presumably to 1606, but then it sized itself to "803" - at least what seemed to be where I was before making the manual changes, above. And then looking in sessionstore.js, I found a ""width":803" in there, so... seems a disconnect between xulstore.json & sessionstore.js (or maybe it's just that one, sessionstore.js, is to take preference over the other, xulstore.json?).
Last edited by therube on 2018-07-21, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-21, 17:07

It would be in your Profile folder.
Or in Portable, a place like, ...\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-21, 18:00

therube wrote:It would be in your Profile folder.
Or in Portable, a place like, ...\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default.
First of all, thank you very, very much for your assistance. I sincerely appreciate it.

I have PaleMoon (release and unstable) and Basilisk installed on several computers. The only place on any of them that I found sessionstore.js was in an old backup profile of Firefox ESR.

Anyway, after making a couple of copies of it in various places in my system (including network drives), I copied it into my PM unstable (portable) profile.

I started PM unstable, adjusted the window size, closed the browser, and reopened it. It reopened where it was, and the size it was before I had resized it.

Then I used the M$Windows "open to full size" control (top right in the middle between _ and X) and closed the browser. When I reopened PM, the window was back where it was the first time, before I had resized it the previous time.

Then, with PM unstable still open, I looked in my profile, and - much to my amazement - the sessionstore.js file was gone! :o

Just to test, re-pasted into my profile, tried the whole sequence again (several times), but the result was always the same: sessionstore.js was gone with the wind.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it:
These are the settings I use to clear the history when PM and Basilisk (on all my machines) closes. Is this, perhaps, why the sessionsstore.js file is getting deleted?

Again, thank you very much.

P.S. But then again, perhaps it's this ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGD2QrkXMk
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-07-21, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-22, 10:57

You DO have it set to "show my windows and tabs from last time" in Preferences -> General, right?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-22, 11:52

Moonchild wrote:You DO have it set to "show my windows and tabs from last time" in Preferences -> General, right?
Thank you for your reply (and on Sunday! :clap: )

On the top you see the Preferences -> General Window with a brand-new profile. Underneath is the view with my profile.

Maybe I've overlooked it or misunderstood you, but I don't see the setting you're referring to.

I've also had a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=17036, and I tried with "Clear History" unchecked and using "File -> Exit" instead of the "x" in the top right corner. The problem remains.

This is the problem.

I really can't figure out what's going on.

And as I've said, it's only with the unstable build. The release and Basilisk work fine, and in both of them, I use pretty much the very same profile as the one I use for the unstable.

Thank you all again for your ongoing help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-24, 11:42

Your clear history settings are indeed what removes your sessionstore.js

The main window position and size are, however, not stored there. Those metrics are stored in xulstore.json in your profile. Sessionstore.js does store window positions but they are only used if you actually restore windows and tabs from the last time (which is the option under "When Pale Moon starts:"

Either way, I cannot reproduce your issue. The window is restored to the last size and position when the browser was shut down, in the latest unstable.
By the way your screenshot DOES show a status bar, but it seems your window is vertically enlarged at the top upon startup -- I suspect one of your extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-24, 11:50

Thank you for your follow-up.
Moonchild wrote:... By the way your screenshot DOES show a status bar ...
Heh-heh :oops:
Moonchild wrote:but it seems your window is vertically enlarged at the top upon startup -- I suspect one of your extensions.
Me, too. I guess I'll have to go through them one by one.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-24, 21:48

OK, I found out that the offending add-on is Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1, but the issue appears to have a number of factors.

There's no question that disabling or uninstalling Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1 solves the problem. What's more interesting to me, though, is what actually happens.

As it turns out, the problem is not restricted to the vertical size of the browser; the horizontal size is also affected. More puzzling is the fact that what actually happens, i.e. the actual size of the re-opened browser window, appears to be random, and two or three successive closings and re-opening of the browser can (but don't always) produce a different size each time.

I contend that something happened in the code three or four updates ago (to the unstable build) that is contributing. I say this simply because, as I've said, the problem doesn't occur in the release or in Basilisk (yes, I know the latter is a "different product") with all the same add-ons installed.

But there's something else: I think on the same day the problem began, there was an update to the unstable, and I was forced to use the Moon Tester Tool (v.1.1.6) to get my third-party full theme (Red Cats Green Flavor) to work. (My AOM says it was 30 June.)

With the update to the unstable that day (or the day before, whenever it actually came out), my theme was disabled. Changing the .rdf didn't work. As I've said, the only thing that did was using the Moon Tester Tool. For fear of sounding redundant, the theme has continued to work fine in the release and in Basilisk - and since 30 June, I'm sure we've had at least one update of both.

There's one other interesting thing I'd like to point out, though I guess it's only indirectly related to this issue. (Sorry for the wide image.)

I guess I'm correct when I say PM (both release and unstable) renders fonts differently than Basilisk. All I can add is that the latter renders my text buttons and the light-up on mouse rollover "correctly", whereas both PM versions do it "wrong" in the same way - what you seen in the unstable Tool Bar is the same as it appears in the stable. I have no idea why the Page Fonts button is always white - no matter whether the function is on or off.

In closing, my hunch is that sometime after the switch to the new milestone (from v. 27 of the unstable to v. 28), something that was introduced into the code broke what had been in OK 27 but wasn't "UXL enough" to get the text buttons correct, the way they are in Basilisk. If it's of any interest, in the latest Fx ESR (52.9.0), they look the same as they do in PM.

If you've read through all this, thank you very, very much.

I realize that I've made several of these long posts with these winding stories, and for this I apologize. I guess I do it because (1) I'm retired and have nothing better to do, and (2) I came to MP (and Basilisk) because of the user-customization aspect, which Fx did away with.

I'm afraid I can't contribute anything on the technical side because I know nothing about programming. I only hope that pointing out these little anomalies in my UX helps draw attention to "hiccups", and thus perhaps obviate bigger problems that might somehow unexpectedly be related to them.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-25, 06:48

It's very possible the Toolbar Buttons extension simply does not take text-only buttons into account, and as a result the metrics of the window shift depending on when and how the extra toolbar entries are added to the UI during startup (because of overflow of available width/height).

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-25, 11:02

Moonchild wrote:It's very possible the Toolbar Buttons extension simply does not take text-only buttons into account, and as a result the metrics of the window shift depending on when and how the extra toolbar entries are added to the UI during startup (because of overflow of available width/height).
OK, thank you.

I certainly am not trying to be argumentative, but I'm still scratching my head as to why the problem only occurs in the unstable build. As I've written, the Toolbar Buttons extension works fine in both the release build and Basilisk using the text-only customization setting.

Again, thank you for your follow-up.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-07-25, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-08-02, 15:02

OK, now I think I've narrowed the problem down a bit more.

I'm now convinced it was somehow an unintended concomitant of the fix that was provided for this problem: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19544#p144514. I mentioned this toward the bottom of that thread, but GMForker, who kindly provided the fix, wrote she or he wasn't able to reproduce it. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19544#p145345

As I've mentioned several times, I know nothing about programming, so I have no idea how these things actually happen behind the scenes; all I do is test what I know how to test.

Anyway, I was disappointed to see that today's update of the unstable build (v. 28.0.0b5 / 2018-08-01) didn't solve the problem, so I did a bit more testing.

Since earlier testing had proved that the source of the problem is linked to the "Toolbar Buttons" add-on, I decided to test an older version. Here I need to point out that there are actually two iterations of this add-on that come into play.

-> One is called "Toolbar Buttons". The latest version is 1.1. It's still listed as a Fx add-on. (https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/). It installs many buttons, and you select the one(s) you want to use via the browser's "Customize" interface.

-> The other is v. 1.1.1 (https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/t ... ton_maker/). This is actually a tool called Custom Toolbar Button Maker, and - as the name indicates - it allows you to select and install only those buttons you want to use. It specifically indicates that it works with PM, which it does.

For my "test" today, I decided to uninstall my "custom buttons" from unstable PM and try the older version (1.1, with the complete button set). It installed OK, but I was surprised to see that the buttons I chose and the Cookie Shield add-on were back over to the right. My "Flexible Space" problem was back: installing the old version somehow "broke" GMForker's fix. :wtf:

I then uninstalled 1.1 and reinstalled my three custom buttons from 1.1.1. I was (surprised and) happy to see that everything was now OK again.

Summary
1. Unstable PM -> the Custom Toolbar Buttons (1.1.1) and Cookie Shield add-ons work together OK. Toolbar Buttons 1.1 breaks the Flexible Space fix.
2. Stable PM -> the Custom Toolbar Buttons (1.1.1) and Cookie Shield add-ons work together OK. Whatever broke the Flexible Space function in the unstable has apparently not been programmed into stable.
3. Basilisk -> the Custom Toolbar Buttons (1.1.1) and Cookie Shield add-ons work together OK. Whatever broke the Flexible Space function in the unstable has apparently not been programmed into Basilisk.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-08-02, 18:53

JoeyG wrote:...try the older version (1.1, with the complete button set). It installed OK, but I was surprised to see that the buttons I chose and the Cookie Shield add-on were back over to the right. My "Flexible Space" problem was back: installing the old version somehow "broke" GMForker's fix. :wtf:
Because there (in Pale Moon) is more "toolbar.childNodes" than expected.

A fix (e.g. - if I have not overlooked anything) - "chrome/content/customizable.jsm" - line 311:

Code: Select all

beforeNode = toolbar.childNodes[toolbar.childNodes.length-spacers];
To:

Code: Select all

let childNodesLengthWithoutInvisible = [].filter.call(
    toolbar.childNodes, function (node) {
      return !node.classList.contains("titlebar-placeholder");
    });
beforeNode = toolbar.childNodes[childNodesLengthWithoutInvisible.length - spacers];

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-08-02, 19:50

GMforker wrote:A fix (e.g. - if I have not overlooked anything) ...
Again, my most sincere thanks to you.

Do you think this fix will make it into the next unstable update?

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-08-02, 19:54

It is from https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/ extension, not from Pale Moon' source code.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-08-02, 20:00

GMforker wrote:It is from https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/ extension, not from Pale Moon' source code.
Oh, OK.

But I'm afraid I don't understand. In your previous post you wrote
GMforker wrote:Because there (in Pale Moon) is more "toolbar.childNodes" than expected.
I guess you're explaining why Toolbar Buttons 1.1 breaks your fix. Right?

OK, but it still seems clear to me that there's something else going on that's causing my problem with the incorrect window size.

In your post on 11 July to the thread Problem with text buttons installed by extensions and Flexible Space (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19544&p=145331&sid ... c6#p145345) you wrote

This: base/content/browser.xul#L62 remains the same (and generally - I don't see any such change in the code).
Maybe you have something (an extension) overwriting the value "main-window" (width, height...) in "xulstore.json" (in the profile folder) - e.g. using the command "XULStore.setValue...".
GMforker wrote:I tried different things and I can not confirm it (with the Toolbar Buttons addon - with one random button and several the Flexible Spaces).
Did you try it with both Toolbar Buttons (v. 1.1.1) and Cookie Shield (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search)?

Hmmm, maybe I haven't made myself clear enough: The problem is definitely a combination of Custom Toolbar Buttons (v. 1.1.1) and Cookie Shield. I've proven this by replacing Cookie Shield with Cookie Controller (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... src=search). The screen resizing problem has stopped.

Thank you again for your follow-up.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-08-02, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-08-02, 20:37

GMforker wrote:It is from https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/ extension, not from Pale Moon' source code.
Oh, OK.

But I'm afraid I don't understand. In your previous post you wrote
GMforker wrote:Because there (in Pale Moon) is more "toolbar.childNodes" than expected.
I guess you're explaining why Toolbar Buttons 1.1 breaks your fix. Right?

OK, but it still seems clear to me that there's something else going on that's causing my problem with the incorrect window size.

In your post on 11 July to the thread Problem with text buttons installed by extensions and Flexible Space (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19544&p=145331&sid ... c6#p145345) you wrote
GMforker wrote:This: base/content/browser.xul#L62 remains the same (and generally - I don't see any such change in the code).

I tried different things and I can not confirm it (with the Toolbar Buttons addon - with one random button and several the Flexible Spaces).
Did you try it with both Toolbar Buttons (v. 1.1.1) and Cookie Shield (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search)?

Hmmm, maybe I haven't made myself clear enough: The problem is definitely a combination of Custom Toolbar Buttons (v. 1.1.1) and Cookie Shield.

I've proven this by replacing Cookie Shield with Cookie Controller (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... src=search). The screen resizing-problem has stopped.

Of course one could say, "OK, if the problem is gone, then stop bothering us", but my point all along has been that there's a bug somewhere in the PM unstable code that's permitting this to happen.

Again, thank you for your follow-up.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-08-03, 01:55

JoeyG wrote:I guess you're explaining why Toolbar Buttons 1.1 breaks your fix.
The problem is in Toolbar Buttons 1.1 (and it was still there before) - it's not related to the fix (although it is similar).
JoeyG wrote:Did you try it with both Toolbar Buttons (v. 1.1.1) and Cookie Shield (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search)?
Yes, but I don't see this problem. Nor in the source code for Cookie Shield.

Maybe someone else sees something that I'm missing...