Details of Updates to Unstable Builds

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Details of Updates to Unstable Builds

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-08, 13:00

As soon as I see an update to the unstable build, I go for it. I did it again today, and - as always, so far - it works perfectly.

As always, I then checked to see what's been changed. (When it comes to PM, I fall into the leap-before-you-look category :crazy: .)
http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/releasenotes.shtml

This page now says, "Current trunk progress, v28 beta 3 (major and recent changes only)", and in the list it mentions, "Cleaned up and reorganized the addon manager."

I looked at the AOM in today's update, but I didn't notice any clean-up and reorganization. I understand this might have to do with my third-party theme.

The page also says, "For a more detailed and complete list of changes, check out the commit log."

OK, so I looked at https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... its/master.

I then found this: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... b09640a24c

I don't know anything at all about programming, and I certainly might be wrong, but to me it looks like this page includes the descriptions of the (numerous) changes to the AOM.

Could someone, please, try to summarize for me in layman's terms how those (numerous) changes translate into clean-up and reorganization of the AOM and what they mean in practical terms for end users :?:

Thank you.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-07-08, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

yami_

Re: Details of Updates to Unstable Builds

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-07-08, 13:17

Some of those changes prepare Pale Moon UXP for working with Pale Moon Add-on page. For "visual" changes made to Add-ons Manager between b2 and b3 see this commit: 39c7be96de7deb2a6929d6b61013e8ad177ea8ba.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-08, 13:54

yami_ wrote:Some of those changes prepare Pale Moon UXP for working with Pale Moon Add-on page. For "visual" changes made to Add-ons Manager between b2 and b3 see this commit: 39c7be96de7deb2a6929d6b61013e8ad177ea8ba.
I certainly appreciate your taking the time to reply, but please note that in my post I mentioned that I was looking for a reply "in layman's terms".

I think I understand what you meant when you wrote, "Some of those changes prepare Pale Moon UXP for working with Pale Moon Add-on page". I guess this is back-end stuff.

However, what you've kindly provided in regard to "'visual' changes" is - due to my TPI (total programming ignorance) - sort of analogous to "cat came back from Berkeley waving flags". After a bit of research, I've come to interpret this phrase as meaning (very loosely) "something more complicated than intended/desired".

Anyway, again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-07-08, 15:00

JoeyG wrote:I guess this is back-end stuff.
Yes, it is all back end stuff.
JoeyG wrote:visual' changes
Seems that I was not clear. This changed:
(Pale Moon 27.x)
appearance.png
(Pale Moon 28.x)
themes.png
Off-topic:
Actually cat came back from Berkeley waving flags is a programing related quote...

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-08, 15:17

yami_ wrote:
JoeyG wrote:I guess this is back-end stuff.
Yes, it is all back end stuff.
Thank you.
yami_ wrote:
JoeyG wrote:visual' changes
Seems that I was not clear. This changed: ...
(Pale Moon 27.x)
(Pale Moon 28.x)
Got it. Thanks.
yami_ wrote:
Off-topic:
Actually cat came back from Berkeley waving flags is a programing related quote...
Yes, it was apparently related to Unix. After checking, I see that my "loose interpretation" (something more complicated than intended/desired) was actually a bit too loose. I guess the original intent was a criticism of code that had become overly bloated. My bad.