Quickdial Search Bar (new tab) Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Quickdial Search Bar (new tab)

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-06-26, 23:11

Hello there :wave: , always a joy in surfing the web with Pale Moon. Thanks for your enthusiastic and hardworking attitude! :) :thumbup:

Although, the new changes to the Quickdial page (new tab) does not give me the option to disable/remove the search bar (nor about:config or Preferences provides one as well). Will there be an option available (possibly allowing it's removal in Customize Toolbar?) in in the future? I personally, have no need for it because it does not allow me to change search engines and it takes up space, which results in having to tab down (just once, still an irradiation though) to see the rest of my, recent, browsing history (rows, as it is cut off partially).

Again, thanks for this amazing beast, and keep up the good work! :thumbup: :clap:

PS: I might have posted in the wrong board.. Please changed it if necessary. :mrgreen:
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2018-06-26, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Quickdial Search Bar (new tab)

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-06-26, 23:34

LimboSlam wrote:the new changes to the Quickdial page (new tab) does not give me the option to disable/remove the search bar
Sounds like you're talking about the PM 28 beta, in which case, yeah this should be moved to the "Pale Moon UXP alpha/beta" section.

I too would like to see an option/preference to disable/remove the search bar from the quickdial page, since like you I have no use for it there.

Until that happens, adding the following to your userContent.css file makes it go poof:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url(about:newtab) {
 #searchContainer { display:none!important; } 
 } 
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-27, 14:51

Having a search bar in a quick-dial page has become a defacto standard among browsers.
Of course it's possible to add a pref to the browser to disable it, but I don't want to add something like that unless there's a significant percentage of our users having a desire to not have it there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-06-27, 16:06

Moonchild wrote:I don't want to add something like that unless there's a significant percentage of our users having a desire to not have it there.
That makes perfect sense.

While we're on the subject of the Quickdial page, one other thing that I would like to eventually see is making it function more like PM 27's page when the browser window is resized. In PM 27, the thumbnails in the Quickdial grid are resized as the browser window is resized. In PM 28 beta1 on my system, the thumbnails appear to remain the same size regardless of how big or small the browser window is. This is more of a cosmetic issue than anything, since other than that the Quickdial page works as expected for me.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-06-27, 17:14

Yeah, I'd like to see an option to remove it. I have a search bar next to my address bar. What do I need with an in-page search box on the quick dial page? Firefox has an option to remove the search box.

I also agree with the need to resize. With PM 27 I have a 4 by 4 grid and they all fit without the need to scroll. With 28 beta there's a 4 by 3 and they still don't fit fully in the window. If I increase the rows to 4 I have to scroll down to see them.
Last edited by Cassette on 2018-06-27, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-06-27, 18:31

Try downloading and using New Tab Tools version 81. Install this downloaded "New Tab Tools" extension, in Pale Moon 28, with Moon Tester Tool.

The "New Tab Tools" extension replaces (overrides) the Firefox new tab page "about:newtab" (aka the Pale Moon Quickdial page)-- with a modified version of this "about:newtab" page. This "New Tab Tools" version (of the "about:newtab" page) does not have a search box. The Quickdial page for Pale Moon 28 also includes other significant changes from Pale Moon 27 (such as handling of Quickdial columns and rows, and resizing of thumbnails). Some or many users may find these changes disappointing. If so, the "New Tab Tools" version (of the "about:newtab" page) provides a Quickdial page experience closer to that of Pale Moon 27.

Note that all versions of the "New Tab Tools" extension appear incompatible with Pale Moon 27.

Note also, that if you use the Quickdial page primarily as a speed dial-- consider using a speed dial extension as your new tab page and/or home page (instead of the Quickdial page or "New Tab Tools" extension). Compatible speed dial extensions include Fast Dial Visual Bookmarks & Quickdial Tool and Super Start Speed Dial and Speed Start. Also, the "New Tab Tools" extension can be used together with the "Fast Dial Visual Bookmarks & Quickdial Tool".

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-06-27, 18:57

As a quick fix, it's also possible to use this CSS in either userContent.css or Stylem:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("about:newtab") {
  #searchContainer {
    display: none !important;
  }
}

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-06-27, 19:04

Off-topic:
Speed Dial 0.9.6.18 also works with PM 28. ;)
1.jpg

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-06-28, 05:23

The pin and unpin buttons appear to be missing from the thumbnails on the PM28 Quickdial page. Thumbnails can be pinned, by moving the thumbnail. However, once pinned, there doesn't appear to be any method for unpinning the thumbnail.

Thumbnail from PM27 Quickdial page:
quickdial-thumbnail-pm27.jpg
quickdial-thumbnail-pm27.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
Thumbnail from PM28 Quickdial page:
quickdial-thumbnail-pm28.jpg
quickdial-thumbnail-pm28.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
Thumbnail size is different for PM28 compared to PM27.
PM27 adjusts the size of the thumbnails in the browser window, based on the number of columns and rows in the Quickdial grid. A scrollbar is not used or necessary.

PM28 does not change the size of the thumbnails in the Quickdial grid. Instead, PM28 changes the number of columns and rows, so that the thumbnails fit in the browser window (overriding user settings for "browser.newtabpage.columns" and "browser.newtabpage.rows"). A vertical scrollbar is used if necessary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-28, 07:58

Thanks for pointing out the differences. I'm well aware of them :P
Because of the way thumbnails are captured in the platform, we had to change the design and adopted Mozilla's implementation -- the rows and columns setting is now a "maximum".
Further changes are of course possible -- it's a new design right now.

As for the pin buttons -- they should be there. Are you sure you're using the latest unstable? (the screenshot seems to indicate you aren't)
Image1.png
Image1.png (15.69 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
EDIT: as an aside, playing around with the newtab design, I have to agree that using the free-flow box design from later Mozilla code isn't very friendly due to overflowing the window instead of scaling appropriately. I'll be tackling this in Issue #562 (UXP)
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-06-28, 12:32, edited 4 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-06-28, 12:53

Moonchild wrote:As for the pin buttons -- they should be there. Are you sure you're using the latest unstable? (the screenshot seems to indicate you aren't)
The screenshot was with the latest unstable (Pale Moon Version: 28.0.0b1 (2018-06-25) on Windows 7). However, I was using the "Aeromoon" complete theme (Version 2.1.0 updated on June 7, 2018-- Compatibility=Pale Moon 27.5.0 to 28.* ), rather than the Default theme. Using the Default theme, the pin/unpin buttons show properly.
default-theme-quickdial-thumbnail-pm28.jpg
Last edited by riiis on 2018-06-28, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-06-28, 13:01

riiis wrote:Using the Default theme, the pin/unpin buttons show properly.
Interesting...I'll take a look.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-28, 18:10

riiis wrote:latest unstable (Pale Moon Version: 27.9.3 (64-bit) on Windows 7)
The latest unstable is 28.0.0b1 (2018-06-25)

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-07-01, 04:48

Quickdial Tool version 4.5.0l is now available for Pale Moon 28. Quickdial Tool now includes an option to enable/disable the search box on the Quickdial/new tab page. First, install Quickdial Tool. Then, right-click an open area on the Quickdial page. Or, right-click any thumbnail on the Quickdial page. Select "Options" from the context menu.

Search enabled:
search-enabled.jpg
Search disabled:
search-disabled.jpg

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-07-01, 06:48

Thanks for the CSS tips and alternatives through add-ons! I will try it out.

But in all honesty, there should at least be an option to disable the search bar without needed workarounds.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2018-07-01, 07:32

How to make the search bar show live suggestions?
Last edited by Al6bus on 2018-07-01, 07:34, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-07-01, 08:55

I also feel search bar is redundant. I have three boxes in front of me from where I can start a search - location box, search box and search box in Quick Dial page. That's too many. I can choose "Customize" and get rid of search from the toolbar, so that one is okay.

Also, the new search box in Quick Dial is not focused, location box is. But, again, that's also debatable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-01, 09:48

LimboSlam wrote: there should at least be an option to disable the search bar without needed workarounds.
Using an extension is not a workaround -- it is using Pale Moon exactly as intended; extensions are an integral part of our design to shape the browser to your specific needs (thank you riiis for your quick work on that!). Having a search box is a defacto standard for quickdial/shortcut pages.
adesh wrote:I also feel search bar is redundant. I have three boxes in front of me from where I can start a search - location box, search box and search box in Quick Dial page. That's too many.
By that logic, any search box on a web page would be redundant (including setting your start page to e.g. http://www.google.com)
The address bar offers search, but it's ambiguous. I'd prefer not to have that but that's the defacto behavior in browsers these days.
The focus not being on the search box was actually a point of discussion -- the initial implementation was to HAVE it focused but that met with immediate resistance (see github) and we chose to go for browser parity in the end (other main browsers do not focus the search box on similar pages). Riiis, perhaps a desirable option to add to your extension?

So as you see, all of this HAS been given thought as we do every time we change design aspects of Pale Moon. If you don't like it, then extend the browser to your needs with extensions, or set the new tab page to something you prefer more.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-07-01, 09:52, edited 4 times in total.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2018-07-02, 02:03

Moonchild wrote:Using an extension is not a workaround -- it is using Pale Moon exactly as intended; extensions are an integral part of our design to shape the browser to your specific needs (thank you riiis for your quick work on that!). Having a search box is a defacto standard for quickdial/shortcut pages.
Yes, you are correct, poor choice of words. I have been using riiis extension and it's working out as intended.

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2018-07-02, 07:10

Al6bus wrote:How to make the search bar show live suggestions?
any ideas?
CropImage.jpg
CropImage1.jpg
CropImage2.jpg
chrome doesn't count :lol:
2018-07-02_100217.jpg
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing