Recommended build environment for 32-bit linux PM 28? Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Recommended build environment for 32-bit linux PM 28?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-26, 04:24

I'm experimenting. Gentoo (my desktop) will be migrating to GCC 7.x soon, so I'm looking to set up a build environment on a laptop, and eventually transfer it over to a chroot. PM 28 no longer builds on CentOS 6.5. It does build+package properly on CentOS 7.5. I'm trying to find as old an environment as will work. CentOS 6.8 fails just like 6.5.

CentOS 7.0 is a bit weird. It builds OK, but blows up during packaging, with a kernel panic that takes down the build machine (an older laptop). Not too surprisingly, packaging works OK if I "--disable-precompiled-startupcache". The above behaviour is repeatable on 2 laptops, with GCC 4.9.4 and 6.4.0, and happens even if I force "-march=pentium-m".

It looks like I'll have to try CentOS 7.1 etc, until I find something that doesn't fall on its face. Anybody else have recommended build environments?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Recommended build environment for 32-bit linux PM 28?

Unread post by adesh » 2018-06-26, 18:07

Even CentOS 6.9 doesn't work. You need CentOS 7 to build anything from UXP.

I have a CentOS 7 chroot on a CentOS 6.9 "host". It has self compiled gcc 4.9.4 and I do not face any difficulty in building or packaging either Pale Moon or Basilisk. Also, I do not have any options for precompiled-cache in my mozconfig (you can have my mozconfig from the other thread).
Last edited by adesh on 2018-06-26, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Recommended build environment for 32-bit linux PM 28?

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-27, 04:37

I finally narrowed it down to CentOS 7.2.1511 This is the oldest version that builds PM 28 properly. As an added bonus, it's also the oldest CentOS that works with Github's security protocols, so I can "git clone". I've often built and used GCC 4.9.4, so that's nothing new for me.

For anybody looking for not-up-to-date 32-bit CentOS 7.X, the location to look in is http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/CentOS-vault/altarch/ It was extremely difficult finding 32-bit CentOS 7.X other than the most recent version. 32-bit X86 CentOS is no longer main-stream-supported and is considered "altarch".
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way