Cosmetic: dropdown menus white background, no borders, larger font

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Cosmetic: dropdown menus white background, no borders, larger font

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-12, 23:55

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Compare pm27edit.png (PM27.9.3SSE with "Edit" menu selected) versus pm28edit.png (PM28). With 27...
  1. The dropdown menu background is light grey, to contrast with usual webpage white
  2. There's a black border, so we know where the menu ends, and the page begins
  3. The "Edit" in the menubar is white text on blue background, to indicate it's active
With 28, items 1 and 2 are missing, and "Edit" in the menubar is blue text on grey background, harder to distinguish from unselected items

As for the font size, see the bookmark dropdown in pm27bkmk.png versus pm28bkmk.png.
Attachments
pm27edit.png
pm28edit.png
pm27bkmk.png
pm28bkmk.png
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Cosmetic: dropdown menus white background, no borders, larger font

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-06-13, 01:02

What you're seeing is that PM 28/UXP builds with gtk+ 3 by default, instead of gtk+ 2. Try using Raleigh-Reloaded theme, so you can get a matching look.

klipkyle
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by klipkyle » 2018-06-13, 01:05

That's GTK3. The build of Pale Moon 28 you are describing is using GTK3 instead of GTK2.

There is a compilation option somewhere that controls whether GTK2 or GTK3 is used. Someone who knows more than me about the build system can probably name it verbatim. I'm not 100% sure which GTK will make it into the final build. I haven't kept up with Pale Moon 28 lately.

The other way to customize is with either a XUL theme or a custom ~/gtk-3.0/settings.ini to change the theme.
Off-topic:
Personally, I'm not a fan of the default look of GTK3 either. :(

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-13, 01:22

But, but, but... I have "--enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2" in my mozconfig. What else do I need to do to force gtk2?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

klipkyle
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by klipkyle » 2018-06-13, 02:30

Off-topic:
mrnhmath: it’s good to see you again! Welcome to the Pale Moon community.

If anyone is curious, mrnhmath helped with the Blueshell theme--a GTK-3.20+ WIP remake of the original Red Hat Bluecurve look. Walter Dnes: if you go theme shopping, check it out, but be warned it’s a work in progress.

https://gitlab.com/KlipKyle/Blueshell

I might pick it up again once Slackware 15.0 comes out, and I will get something newer than GTK-3.18.
Walter Dnes: I just asked about the compilation option on IRC. Hopefully someone will come over here with a response.

klipkyle
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by klipkyle » 2018-06-13, 03:12

Walter Dnes: the compilation option you named is supposed to be the one. What OS are you using?

To add borders to GTK3 menus: I remember there was a trick, but on my Slackware 14.2 system (gtk+3-3.18.9) I can't reproduce the problem where menus are missing borders. All the menus have borders for me, even with the default Adwaita theme.

But if you are running gtk+3-3.20 or later (which is where I think the problem manifests itself), something like the following in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css should add borders to menus. I got this from looking at Blueshell.

Code: Select all

menu {
  border-width: 1px;
  border-color: gray;
  border-style: solid;
}

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-13, 04:44

I'm running 32-bit Gentoo linux. It currently has both x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.31-r1 and x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.19 installed (yes, that's perfectly valid in Gentoo). Here's more of my "about:buildconfig"
Configure options

--enable-application=palemoon LD=ld.gold --enable-jemalloc --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 MAKE=/usr/bin/gmake --disable-accessibility --disable-crashreporter --enable-devtools --disable-eme --disable-gamepad --enable-install-strip --disable-necko-wifi --enable-official-branding --enable-official-vendor '--enable-optimize=-O2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse' --disable-parental-controls --enable-release --enable-strip --disable-tests --disable-updater --disable-webrtc --with-pthreads --x-libraries=/usr/lib
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-13, 09:44

A problem probably at my end. First, a correction... the build was done on a CentOS7.5 machine for testing. There seem to be some gtk3-related packages installed for which no gtk2-equivalant is installed. I assume that only gtk3 libs sufficient for compiling exist. The gtk2 files would be only those necessary for running gtk2 programs are loaded. I'll check whether I can load the necessary dev files for gtk2

BTW, is this a gtk3 bug? Typing "f i l e s" without the space gives "files". Typing "s u f f i c i e n t" without spaces gives "sufficient"
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-13, 21:55

In case the last paragraph sounds obscure here's what I see (BTW, I'm using Advanced Night Mode)...
Attachments
modtext.png
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-13, 22:55

Walter Dnes wrote:BTW, is this a gtk3 bug? Typing "f i l e s" without the space gives "files". Typing "s u f f i c i e n t" without spaces gives "sufficient"
Looks like wrong ligatures are being inserted. "ffi" (u+fb03) should be "fi" (u+fb01) and "st" (u+fb06) should be "ffi" (u+fb03). I can not force this behaviour on Windows (it does not event try to insert the ligatures), so I do not think it is a general Pale Moon bug. I wonder if GTK3 Basilisk does the same thing.
Last edited by yami_ on 2018-06-13, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-06-14, 00:37

Walter Dnes wrote:In case the last paragraph sounds obscure here's what I see (BTW, I'm using Advanced Night Mode)...
I had that happen to me after a system update gave me a new version of some of the fonts I used.
The solution was to have GTK reload the fonts (in my case it was just a Pale Moon restart).
It happened on Pale Moon 27.*, by the way.
Last edited by vannilla on 2018-06-14, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-14, 00:58

vannilla wrote:I had that happen to me after a system update gave me a new version of some of the fonts I used. The solution was to have GTK reload the fonts (in my case it was just a Pale Moon restart).
It happened on Pale Moon 27.*, by the way.
Come to think of it, I just did a system update. Restarting Pale Moon fixed the problem too. And the reason for the restart was to try a new build with additional gtk2 libraries installed. No luck; still got gtk3 GUI.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way