Linux link for update alert window

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Linux link for update alert window

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-06-11, 13:16

I just had a pop up window telling me an update window was available, a useful reminder which saves me looking to see if the sha256 sum has changed on the unstable download page. This time, instead of going to my bookmarked link to the download, I left clicked the link on the reminder, but it took me to the Window's downloads here:
http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/
not to the Linux page:
https://linux.palemoon.org/download/unstable/
Using:
Version: 28.0.0a3 (64-bit) (2018-06-07)
I didn't see any more odd oversize tabs with that version incidentally.

Another odd thing which I suppose could be just a widget limitation is that if you open the Help - About Pale Moon pop up window, although you can highlight text like the version number above, a right click on the highlighted text doesn't bring up a copy paste menu. But you can copy the selected text with a mouse middle click! Though this behaviour is nothing new in Pale Moon or even Firefox in the past I recall.

Better go do some testing with the new version now it has finished downloading. 8-)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

GMforker

Re: Linux link for update alert window

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-06-11, 17:01

vingtzwanzig wrote:I left clicked the link on the reminder, but it took me to the Window's downloads here:
http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/
not to the Linux page:
https://linux.palemoon.org/download/unstable/
See UXP issue 480 (+ a draft solution)
vingtzwanzig wrote:Another odd thing which I suppose could be just a widget limitation is that if you open the Help - About Pale Moon pop up window, although you can highlight text like the version number above, a right click on the highlighted text doesn't bring up a copy paste menu. But you can copy the selected text with a mouse middle click! Though this behaviour is nothing new in Pale Moon or even Firefox in the past I recall.
See UXP issue 478 (+ a draft solution)
Last edited by GMforker on 2018-06-11, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-06-11, 20:41

Astonishing speed for a resolution! Thank you for looking at this, it might be helpful for other users on here too if they can copy the version number they are using to provide this information easily if required.
Nothing to report using:
Version: 28.0.0a4 (64-bit) (2018-06-10)
so far at least. The middle click copy paste is a bit unpredictable in Pale Moon and the XFCE desktop as a whole, it sometimes holds a different string to the regular right click menu, so must be a slightly separate implementation, which is why it worked then.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-06-12, 01:06

The middle click copy is caused by the X server (aka Xorg), and it's completely separated from XFCE or Pale Moon or Firefox.
Fun fact: the middle click method is older than the CTRL+C method.
However many users don't know about it, so certain programs abuse it to carry on certain operations.
Another fun fact: some sites block copying text, but the middle click method overrides the blocking.
This is because programs (not just the browser) can't disable it by design.
Sorry for the slight off topic, but I wanted to make it clear that it's not a bug.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-06-12, 19:16

Thank you for that information, it is very useful to know that it is working as intended. It can be useful when you are aware of what it does, in the terminal it allows pasting with a single click for example. But say I am rewriting a listing on eBay and highlight all the description then hit backspace to delete it all, intending to paste something from the copy buffer, then if I use middle click it replaces everything I have just deleted, right click - paste gives the intended result. So it is useful but you need to practice to be aware what it is going to do in a particular situation, and it is nice to know this is the correct outcome. It could be useful if something was unintentionally deleted like that.