Unstable 28 Alpha 2: problem extensions

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Unstable 28 Alpha 2: problem extensions

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-06-20, 12:49

Cleanest Addon Manager author did not respond. Slim Add-ons Manager doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried this userContent.css fix for FF57, some changes are applied but it's not really compatible, perhaps some adjusting might make it work.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-06-25, 08:54

Also tried Add-ons Manager Fix (available on the PM add-ons site) but it completely breaks the Add-ons Manager.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-06-27, 22:55

Does this thread cover beta 1, or do we need a new thread. Anyhow, Advanced Night Mode 1.0.7 does not work on a 32-bit build. The major non-standard thing I've done on the build is disable devtools. ANM installs, but that's it. If I go to ANM "Preferences", I end up at [url]resource://advancednightmode-at-off-dot-justoff/data/preferences.html[/url] with a message in big oversize font saying...

Error. You should not see this
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-03, 01:22

So, I have been playing around with PM 28 portable with a brand new profile and I can confirm that Tree Style Tabs
is completely broken with a new profile. But here is the weird part. If I copy my profile over, TST works perfectly as long as
I have TMP also. If I remove TMP then TST breaks. I also discovered that TMP does not work properly either.

SearchLoad Options Revived 0.7.4.2 and any other version that would load does not work properly either.
In PM 27 you can right click a search bar and it will give you the option to add it to your search engine list.
In PM 28 it only gives you the add to search bar option on the PM search bar it's self, and then only part of the time.
It seems to depend on the search bar you want to add. Like, I can go to "hooktube" and right click on their search bar in PM 27 and
it will allow me to add it. But in PM 28 even though you have to click on PM's search bar icon drop down list to get it to
add. The option is not there at all. But If I go to Youtube in 28 and do the same thing the option to add Youtube is in PM's
the drop down list. :?

I will try coping my profile over again to see if SearchLoad Options has the old style or new.

For some reason, if I use my profile, things still sort of work. But if I load from a new profile, nadda.
I wonder why this is? :think:

IceKirby

Unread post by IceKirby » 2018-07-03, 08:41

Thehandyman1957 wrote:So, I have been playing around with PM 28 portable with a brand new profile and I can confirm that Tree Style Tabs
is completely broken with a new profile. But here is the weird part. If I copy my profile over, TST works perfectly as long as
I have TMP also. If I remove TMP then TST breaks. I also discovered that TMP does not work properly either.
I also noticed some things do not work properly with TabMixPlus on PM28, in particular that I was unable to select a text/link and drag it to the Tabs Toolbar to open it in a new tab (it worked if I disabled TMP). I checked the code and fixed it for myself, and the cause was a browser function that was replaced by another one (browserDragAndDrop.drop -> browserDragAndDrop.dropLinks).

While I was trying to fix that, I found this piece of code in TMP:

Code: Select all

// old TreeStyleTab extension version look for isTabReorder in our code
var isTabReorder = dragType == this.DRAG_TAB_IN_SAME_WINDOW;
That variable is not even used anywhere in the same script I found it, seems that it really only exists to support TST. I haven't looked if there was more references to TST, but the issues you got are likely due to this dependence that TST has on TMP.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-04, 01:23

Yea, I'm sure there must be something in TMP's code that makes TST work but that fact is, if I load both
of them on a new profile by themselves, they are both borked pretty good. In fact, if I load TST first, and
then TMP it will completely blank out the screen so that all I see is the tree and the borders of the browser.

But, like I said. If I put my profile that I have had for awhile, TST works perfectly and TMP works almost
perfectly except on DDG. Everywhere else I tried it worked fine.

So my real question is, how is it, that something in a profile can make a add on work properly and without it
not work at all? :think:

So I checked "Add to Search Bar 2.7.1-signed" on PM 28 and it seems to work, but not like before.
But this is a issue with the add on and not PM because it does it on PM 27 also.
So apparently, they have updated it and changed the way it works. I will have to investigate to
see what version caused this. :coffee:

Ok, so I went back in my FEBE backups and found a older version of "Add to Search Bar" and it was indeed a
issue with the add on.
So this is what it did before, you could right click on any search bar and it would give you the ability to add the search bar.
Screenshot - 7_3_2018 , 6_33_46 PM.png
But on the new verison, you have to click on the browsers search bar, but a lot of search bars won't give you this option now.
Screenshot - 7_3_2018 , 6_27_53 PM.png
So like if I go to Hooktube and click on the browsers search bar, it won't even give me the option, but it will with the older version.

So we can mark that one off the list. ;)
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-07-04, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-04, 02:31

Ok, so I can confirm that with the exception of issue of dragging a link to the tab bar in TMP it otherwise
seems to work just fine on a new profile on the latest PM 28. So the issue I had with DDG seems to be
something in my profile causing it. Though, no setting change fixes is.

But as far as TMP goes, it's a completely dead end on a fresh instal. I tried every version from newest to oldest
and it simply does not work even with TMP installed. So how in the world does it work
if I copy my profile over to a new profile of PM 28? :wtf:

I assume that add on's have a place to save settings in the profile right? Where might I find these?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-04, 11:26

I assume that add on's have a place to save settings in the profile right? Where might I find these?
(Prior to webextensions) typically in prefs.js.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-04, 20:17

I have received a reply from the author of TMP and explained the issue with not being able to
drag a link to the tab bar. I will let you know what they find. ;)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-04, 20:31

therube wrote:
(Prior to webextensions) typically in prefs.js.
Is there a way to read this file?

I can confirm that if I copy this file to a new profile in PM 28 that TST works
but DDG still opens two tabs. This shows me that something in that file is allowing
TST to work as it should and if I can figure out what TST is using to run right I might
be able to help the author figure out how to fix it. :)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-07-04, 20:49

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Is there a way to read this file?
You can open prefs.js in any text editor.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-05, 03:43

Nigaikaze wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:Is there a way to read this file?
You can open prefs.js in any text editor.
Sweet, Thank you. :mrgreen: Now if I can just figure out what I'm looking for? :wtf: :lol:

Ok, so after walking blind with my hands trying to figure out where the light switch was I finally
found what I believe is the issue here with TST not working in PM 28.

I found this preference in my profile for PM 27.
Screenshot - 7_4_2018 , 10_34_36 PM.png
If I add this preference to the new PM28 pref file it will allow TST to work.
But only if I have TMP installed. It still gives me the issue with DDG though.
If I set it to true, it boogers it up and then the only way I can get things to work again
is to delete the profile and start over.

So the question is, what does that preference do, and does TST need it to run?
If I leave it out, TST will start but only with tabs on the left. If I try to set TST
to run with tabs to the right, the whole browser window goes grey like a covering.

As for the issue with DDG? If I just install TMP then DDG works fine. If Install TST next,
DDG gives me the double tab thing which takes me back to my original issue to start with.

But this is a start. I will send a new email to the TMP folks with a update. :coffee:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-07-05, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-07-05, 06:18

"browser.tabs.animate" add a simple animation when opening/closing a tab, however it might get very choppy if you have a lot of addons

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-05, 06:38

fillerup wrote:"browser.tabs.animate" add a simple animation when opening/closing a tab, however it might get very choppy if you have a lot of addons
Interesting, because without it, TST will not work except on the left side. :think:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-05, 06:42

I just got done sending the TMP folks an email and thought I would share what I sent them.
I'm going to try to get a hold of the TST folks and give the information I have found so far. ;)
Ok, I opened a pull request from the author of this fork of TST here.
https://github.com/piroor/treestyletab/pull/1974
Ok, so I had some extra time today to fiddle with this and thought I would give you an update.
Some of this might not be your issue but I"m going to throw it out there for you to see where the chips fall.

This whole thing is dealing with PM 28.0.0b2
Aside from the issue with not being able to drag a link to the tab bar, I am experiencing another issue.

I get this issue on both a new profile and also if I copy my old profile.
If I install TMP 0.5.0.4 every thing works except the above issue.
If I install TST 0.0.2 I get a new issue.
If I open a new tab with DDG and try to search anything below their advertised links, it will open a new tab with the
search. But it also takes the original DDG tab and and opens the same link in the original DDG tab, thus giving me
two tabs with the same search.

This same behavior happens on Google and Yahoo also, but not on Ipquick or Good Gopher or Bing.
Also, this only happens if I am on one of the actual search pages and click a link. If I do a search from the search bar
in PM it does not exhibit this behavior.

So here is a small tidbit, and it doesn't relate to the above issues but is interesting indeed. Tree Style Tabs will
not work without your TMP. If I install TST first it does not work. If install TMP next, TST works.
I cannot figure out why, but I thought I would just throw this out there and will give this information to TST folks.
I did give them an update email as I forgot to give the the operating system and bit type. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-07-05, 07:44, edited 5 times in total.

Doelli
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Doelli » 2018-07-08, 18:57

Firshot does not work with Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32bit)
Attachments
Fireshot.jpg

Doelli
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Doelli » 2018-07-08, 19:07

GKeep Symbol is larger in Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32-bit) as in Pale Moon 27.9.3 (32-bit).
Attachments
Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32-bit)
Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32-bit)
Pale Moon 27.9.3 (32-bit)
Pale Moon 27.9.3 (32-bit)
Pale Moon 27.9.3 (32-bit).jpg (14.73 KiB) Viewed 2651 times

Doelli
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Doelli » 2018-07-08, 19:21

Doelli wrote:Firshot does not work with Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32bit)
I was able to fix this issue by changing the GUID in the install.rdf from {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} (Firefox) to {8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4} (Pale Moon)

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-08, 19:33

Doelli wrote:Firshot does not work with Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32bit)
This is because of <em:strictCompatibility>true</em:strictCompatibility> line in its install.rdf.
Doelli wrote:GKeep Symbol is larger in Pale Moon 28.0.00b3 (32-bit) as in Pale Moon 27.9.3 (32-bit).
What specific add-on do you mean? URL?

Doelli
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Doelli » 2018-07-08, 19:41