Probably very silly (beta) security question....

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Probably very silly (beta) security question....

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-17, 15:52

Noticing more security issues were included in the most recent PM 27 release and with that it occurs to me that while I realize PM 28 (beta) is a different animal there will necessarily be a great deal of similarities presumably to PM 27 nevertheless.... so...

... this has crossed my mind FWIW and my curiosity has got the best of me (based on my underlined comments below)--- when ever updates for PM27 occur that include security issues including "DiD" and other types of security updates i.e. 27.9.4 (2018-07-17); I would assume if any similar security needs would apply to beta PM that the beta would get updated with these same security updates.... It seems a silly concern (simply because it makes no sense that beta would not be equally secure) and I only bring this up because when the 27 updates that DO have security occur I have NOT noticed any updates corresponding to that same time-line getting applied to PM 28 (beta) :think: ---- so as a sanity check ;) ... just wondering :eh: ....
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-17, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Probably very silly (beta) security question....

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-17, 16:04

In general, more sec patches apply to v28 than v28 (more code and more features = bigger surface, for one, and it's not got the bake time on the same code as a more tried and tested release).
These patches are rolled in when they are prudent, among other development. You are likely getting the patches on beta before you get them on release but they are not individually mentioned since the unstable channel is not a release channel. You can rest assured though that everything that applies to our code bases will have been patched.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2018-07-17, 21:27

I think that should be:
Moonchild wrote:In general, more sec patches apply to v28 than v27 (more code and more features = bigger surface, for one, and it's not got the bake time on the same code as a more tried and tested release).
These patches are rolled in when they are prudent, among other development. You are likely getting the patches on beta before you get them on release but they are not individually mentioned since the unstable channel is not a release channel. You can rest assured though that everything that applies to our code bases will have been patched.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-17, 21:34

You're absolutely right.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-18, 01:10

^ When I read it, I figured that's what it HAD to be.... ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-18, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising