Heads up: Suite applications need to use a new build option.

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Heads up: Suite applications need to use a new build option.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-15, 21:06

A platform change has recently modified a long-standing default setting, such that building with the account wizard is now the default, and classic account creation requires a build flag to be set. This is the reverse of how the platform has historically worked. In the past, the HYPE_ICEDOVE define was used to enable the account wizard, and the default was to have classic account creation.

For details on why/how this happened and what you will need to do, see:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... ssues/2454
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Heads up: Suite applications need to use a new build option.

Unread post by dbsoft » 2024-01-17, 14:20

So... does this mean I need to use --enable-classic-account-wizard for Mac and FreeBSD builds?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-17, 14:24

dbsoft wrote:
2024-01-17, 14:20
So... does this mean I need to use --enable-classic-account-wizard for Mac and FreeBSD builds?
No, I don't use that option with Epyrus. Epyrus doesn't use the classic account Wizard, it uses the newer account wizard, the same one as IceDove-UXP. That "classic" build option disables the newer one and enables the "classic" one used by Suite applications (and Interlink). Up until now, the old account wizard was the default, so I had to use the HYPE_ICEDOVE define in Epyrus to use the new one that was disabled by default. We have to stop using that define now because HYPE_ICEDOVE started being used for more than the account wizard.

That name was a bit confusing and I didn't come up with it. Historically, we used to call only newer account wizard an account wizard, but technically the classic experience is a kind of account wizard too, and the build option was named by someone who wasn't aware we'd been using the terminology that way.

https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/epyrus/issues/90

This was the reason for the platform change, the issue I linked above was just the implementation. This issue shouldn't have any impact on IceDove-UXP or Epyrus, but NetFusion and whatever Mail client wicknix is self-building on Unix may be affected and have to start using the new build option.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2024-01-17, 14:35

Yeah sorry, I did read that Issue, but it wasn't clear to me which was which... Thanks. :)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-17, 14:42

dbsoft wrote:
2024-01-17, 14:35
Yeah sorry, I did read that Issue, but it wasn't clear to me which was which... Thanks. :)
Yeah, by the old definition --classic-account-wizard would really be --disable-account-wizard. The person who wrote the option saw it differently and saw the old version of the process as being an account wizard too, just a different style.