Recent regressions around Microtasks

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Recent regressions around Microtasks

Unread post by UCyborg » 2024-01-15, 20:42

In relation to issue #2452, can you guys involved in the development please check the website https://www.theregister.com/? The old NoScript extension might not be the only one triggering the crash, at least the crash on that website was reported by the users of forks of these browsers, you can probably guess which ones. ;) It could be inherited.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Recent regressions around Microtasks

Unread post by distantpluto » 2024-01-16, 11:29

I'm not involved in development but FYI - I've been reading that site for years in Pale Moon and never once had a crash. I have 49 active extensions.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-16, 13:31

UCyborg wrote:
2024-01-15, 20:42
was reported by the users of forks of these browsers
There are many regular TheRegister visitors on Pale Moon, and they have not reported anything; so it's quite possible this is a core bug in the fork. Maybe they need to review some of their own patches.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2024-01-16, 20:42

Sure, but Pale Moon users don't get to test platform changes almost every week, roytam1 builds the popular browsers descending from Pale Moon and Basilisk almost every Saturday, so I just wanted to be sure if one was to build regular Pale Moon or Basilisk without roytam1's patches with the most recent changes in the platform (that aren't in official release versions of these browsers yet), that the crashes don't occur then.

Martok
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by Martok » 2024-01-17, 10:02

Can't repro the crash either with or without #2452, so I would also suspect some other custom patch.
"For more information please reread."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-17, 10:22

UCyborg wrote:
2024-01-16, 20:42
Sure, but Pale Moon users don't get to test platform changes almost every week, roytam1 builds the popular browsers descending from Pale Moon and Basilisk almost every Saturday
So effectively his builds are nightly/unstable and could crash/corrupt at any time.

I mean, sure, if that's what users of those forks want, then all the better for it, although my guess is that most of them don't really want to be guinea pigs.

Past differences aside, I just don't put much stock in his builds that have applied some really dirty hacks, and even when finding genuine solutions to genuine problems never bother to offer anything upstream to us. As a result, I'm really not inclined to take reports from that corner at more than face value here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2024-01-17, 13:53

I kind of use the MSFN as an early warning system. After I get my changes merged, the next week I look at their site and see if anyone is having issues. :P

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-17, 15:24

Beta testers ahoy! :D

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2024-01-18, 15:27

UCyborg wrote:
2024-01-16, 20:42
Sure, but Pale Moon users don't get to test platform changes almost every week, roytam1 builds the popular browsers descending from Pale Moon and Basilisk almost every Saturday
This is infuriating. I have posted over on MSFN trying to clarify exactly this point. Then they'll tag me saying "Hey there's a bug" even though I already told them that the code they are using is not production ready. Part of me has considered not pushing code to the master branch of Basilisk until the day I do a new release to avoid exactly this issue.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-18, 17:08

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2024-01-18, 15:27
This is infuriating. I have posted over on MSFN trying to clarify exactly this point. Then they'll tag me saying "Hey there's a bug" even though I already told them that the code they are using is not production ready. Part of me has considered not pushing code to the master branch of Basilisk until the day I do a new release to avoid exactly this issue.
Yeah, New Moon is like a cheap Chinese knockoff of Pale Moon... LOL. But yeah, the MSFN-type people are basically the reason why Pale Moon temporarily closed the git repos to the public and started just publishing tarballs for that brief period. It is a little infuriating to watch people misuse your code and then blame you for it. Though we've learned that we can't let our anger at that make us give up the benefits of open and collaborative development.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-01-18, 20:28

Off-topic:
dbsoft wrote:
2024-01-17, 13:53
MSFN
Okay, so obviously MS = Microsoft, but I spent too long over at that place (and googling) trying to figure out what the FN stands for. Just curious and totally unimportant, but does anyone know?
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2024-01-18, 20:48

Off-topic:
suzyne wrote:
2024-01-18, 20:28
what the FN stands for. Just curious and totally unimportant, but does anyone know?
https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-01-18, 21:11

Off-topic:
Kris_88 wrote:
2024-01-18, 20:48
suzyne wrote:
what the FN stands for. Just curious and totally unimportant, but does anyone know?
https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/
How did I miss that? Thank you!

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-18, 21:45

suzyne wrote:
Okay, so obviously MS = Microsoft, but I spent too long over at that place (and googling) trying to figure out what the FN stands for. Just curious and totally unimportant, but does anyone know?[/offtopic]
Off-topic:
I think it stands for forum network. The acroynm as a whole is probably meant to be a play on MSDN, which stands for Microsoft Developer Network. Technically they made the S stand for "software," but we all know what they were going for. They probably just couldn't call it "Microsoft Forum Network" without implying it was officially sanctioned by Microsoft. But the whole goal is to be an unofficial network of people working on older versions of Windows, similar to how MSDN was a network of people working on testing and playing around with current versions of Windows. I know a little more about it than I would like to admit, because I was one of the people running KernelEx to keep my Windows 98 machine alive a lot longer than I should have due to being annoyed with the loss of MS-DOS mode back in the day... I didn't know anything about computer security back then and felt really dumb when I realized how much danger I was exposing myself to.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-01-18, 23:25

Off-topic:
athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-18, 21:45
But the whole goal is to be an unofficial network of people working on older versions of Windows
An interesting forum to be sure!

From my poking around, among many other topics, it looks like a good place to debate "the best version of Windows is...". But I won't repeat the less flattering sentiments I stumbled across when doing a search for the text Pale Moon. I think I can see that it would be a wonderful place to spend many hours if so inclined, and the negative attitudes over there towards Windows 11 feel fair and well deserved to me.