with firefox on X11, any page can pastejack you anytime

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

PaleLuc
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

with firefox on X11, any page can pastejack you anytime

Unread post by PaleLuc » 2023-10-17, 17:05

In firefox running on X11, any script from any page can freely write to
the primary selection, and that can be easily exploited to run arbitrary code
on the user's machine.

No user interaction is necessary -- any page able to run javascript can do it,
including e.g. a page from a background tab of a minimized window, an iframe
inside such a window, an error page, a sandboxed iframe, a page that has
reloaded itself via `meta http-equiv=refresh`, etc.

This applies to all the versions of mozilla/firefox and their derivatives
(seamonkey, etc) that I was able to test, including the latest nightly.
More information here:

https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2023/q4/132

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: with firefox on X11, any page can pastejack you anytime

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-17, 17:53

Interesting and concerning, hopefully this can be patched soon by the Pale Moon team.

Another example where NoScript/uMatrix is a must on today's web.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-17, 18:18

If this worries you, then set clipboard.autocopy to false
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-10-17, 20:31

Web pages are not going to "pastejack [me] anytime". I don't paste from primary selection. That's kind of old-school - a lot of the old Unix guys are still in love with their middle-mouse-button for some reason. Almost all mice these days have a scroll wheel in place of the middle mouse button, and it's awkward to press it as a mouse click. I prefer to do as much as possible by using simple and ergonomic keyboard shortcuts, and ctrl-v wins on both counts over shift-insert.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-10-17, 21:46

It's funny because every X11 application is subject to "pastejacking", it's not just Firefox or Pale Moon. It hasn't been a major concern so far because, at most, malicious applications could merely copy/paste data, not much else.
Now that javascript is omnipresent and is used even by desktop environments, it's trivial to actually execute anything.
And of course, this will be blamed on X, despite being nothing but the transmission channel. It would be like shooting the messenger.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-10-17, 23:03

vannilla wrote:
2023-10-17, 21:46
It's funny because every X11 application is subject to "pastejacking", it's not just Firefox or Pale Moon. It hasn't been a major concern so far because, at most, malicious applications could merely copy/paste data, not much else.
Now that javascript is omnipresent and is used even by desktop environments, it's trivial to actually execute anything.
And of course, this will be blamed on X, despite being nothing but the transmission channel. It would be like shooting the messenger.
Such twisted logic. They claim that X is outdated with no point in evolving it and X.org is a bloated mess yet they're first to cheerlead over the Living Standard™, same with XUL and its former platform. The pattern is right in front of people's faces yet no one gives a damn.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-17, 23:10

I've seen that pasting a command into the terminal on Linux Mint(such as when adding a new apt repository) immediately pops up the pasted content in a separate dialog with a warning as to whether you meant to paste it, and that one should be wary of malicious scripts.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-10-18, 02:27

In Powershell the terminal will always warn you and show you the command you're about to execute if you're pasting something that has a newline in it.

It should be the terminals doing this mitigation by default, not browsers.

And of course there's the fact that PEBCAKs are going to be PEBCAKs anyway and ignore the warnings as fast as they could, as if they're running late for a bus or something.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-18, 04:43

I think scripts should not be allowed to initiate copy and paste operations. Yes, this may create some inconveniences, for example, it will not be possible to create a “copy” button on web pages, but you can always create a “select” button and let the user copy the selection if he wants, using standard system feature. Also, the right of scripts to replace selected text with some of their own data when copying to a clipboard or to prohibit copying altogether seems questionable.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-18, 06:39

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-10-18, 04:43
the right of scripts to replace selected text with some of their own data when copying to a clipboard or to prohibit copying altogether seems questionable.
My extension PermissionsPlus (link in sig) lets you prevent clipboard manipulation on a per site basis.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-18, 08:51

Kris_88 wrote:
I think scripts should not be allowed to initiate copy and paste operations.
That would break a large number of legitimate websites. Many sites rely on providing the convenience for users to have such "copy" buttons. Clipboard manipulation is and has been for a long time part of the web standard, this isn't new, and is in use by many websites. It is simply not practical at this point to rewrite this behaviour in browsers and expect users to accept that they can no longer click and copy. Have you tried manually copying text on a mobile phone recently? It's a PITA because of the limitations of a touchscreen and big sausage "input devices" (i.e. fingers).
Kris_88 wrote:
Also, the right of scripts to replace selected text with some of their own data when copying to a clipboard or to prohibit copying altogether seems questionable.
Once again, many legitimate websites use this. Always copying "what a user selects" without performing any data transformation on it can be just as problematic, especially if the selection wasn't accurate. Yes, I'm aware that some websites use the annoying practice of tacking on arbitrary data to what is selected and copied, but that doesn't make the ability to put into the clipboard what was intended in itself a bad thing.

And, Pale Moon still gives you full control over all this. See the following prefs to customize the behaviour to your liking:
clipboard.autocopy
clipboard.plainTextOnly
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-18, 14:39

moonbat wrote:
2023-10-18, 06:39
My extension PermissionsPlus (link in sig) lets you prevent clipboard manipulation on a per site basis.
Moonchild wrote:
2023-10-18, 08:51
And, Pale Moon still gives you full control over all this. See the following prefs to customize the behaviour to your liking:
clipboard.autocopy
clipboard.plainTextOnly
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled
This is great!
Thank you!