GRE is a bust, and here's why and what we'll do now.

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: GRE is a bust, and here's why and what we'll do now.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-01, 08:05

__NM64__ wrote:
2022-04-01, 02:40
would it actually be a better idea if I simply restored my backup of portable 29.4.4 in its entirety and just replace the aforementioned places.sqlite file with the one from portable 30.0.1?
That should work just fine.
__NM64__ wrote:
Actually this "copying over the places.sqlite file" was even my planned future migration path of moving from Pale Moon for Windows to Pale Moon for Linux
But this will not work. You cannot share your places.sqlite between Windows and Linux because it e.g. stores paths for download history, and you'll run afoul of the Windows vs Linux file system path differences, and that can lead to really weird things.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-01, 08:45

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-01, 08:05
You cannot share your places.sqlite between Windows and Linux because it e.g. stores paths for download history, and you'll run afoul of the Windows vs Linux file system path differences, and that can lead to really weird things.
Are you saying there are two separate issues:
  1. download history paths
  2. file system path
Or are you saying that the issue with download history is in fact the difference in file system path?

Because, I'll be honest, download history I really don't care about, so couldn't I just simply delete all my download history before copying over a places.sqlite file from Windows onto Linux?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-01, 09:14

Download history is just an example.
Any local file you've opened that has a history entry in places will also potentially be problematic, for example.

If you want to transfer data like that you should use Sync.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-03, 19:23

The "places.sqlite" file-replacement method "just worked" without a hitch on two different copies of Pale Moon Portable (no idea how well it'd work on non-Portable Pale Moon however).
Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-01, 09:14
Download history is just an example.
Any local file you've opened that has a history entry in places will also potentially be problematic, for example.
Are those the only two things that would be problematic? Because wouldn't deleting those specific entries from the browser history also be super easy since their URL address always begins with "file:///"?

Or are you referring to something different?

I understand that sync would be better - this is just my innate bug-quashing mentality rearing its head here that inherently wants to "test the limits of a given software"...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-03, 21:12

If you're comfortable with manually editing an sqlite file, then sure you'll be able to fix it that way. But it should be done, before you drop it onto the other OS and generally I don't assume people would do that and just want to copy ;-)

I -think- those would be the only 2 issues in places.sqlite but I'm not 100% sure, so you'll have to have a close look at all the tables for anything else obviously wrong.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-03, 21:16

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-03, 21:12
If you're comfortable with manually editing an sqlite file, then sure you'll be able to fix it that way.
Er uh, I've done that... once.

I actually just meant right in the browser history that any history pointing to local paths all have URLs that begin with "file:///" (at least on Windows) - was this by chance not what you were referring to?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-03, 21:21

Yeah i guess that works too. search history for file:// and you should be able to get all of those problematic hits.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2022-04-10, 09:37

__NM64__ wrote:
Actually this "copying over the places.sqlite file" was even my planned future migration path of moving from Pale Moon for Windows to Pale Moon for Linux, so general insight into whether this is even something that's a good idea at all would be appreciated.
For bookmark:
- Ctrl Shift B and Export to json or html
For password:
- Install FEBE addon in PM Store: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/febe/
- Go to settings, uncheck everything except password, then backup and you will get a password file like this usernames-passwords{profile}.json
- Install FEBE again on your new Linux profile and import your exported bookmark json.
For about:config:
- about:support, Open Profile Folder and copy your prefs.js, then do the same and replace.
Rest are pretty easy as you just need to reinstall addons.

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2022-04-14, 10:29

If GRE is discontinued, could you update the board "Other UXP/GRE Applications" ?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-04-22, 21:05

Goanna Runtime Environment™ should be considered a failed experiment
Suggesting there's no such thing :) as long as the effort was completed-enough. Any experiment where you know more at the end than you did at the beginning - I call that successful, as in, it was Worth Doing.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-05-10, 21:06

Apologies for the minor grave-dig but, while experimenting with moving an entire Windows profile from Pale Moon Portable over to a Linux Mint 20.3 installation, I discovered that one needs to delete "content-prefs.sqlite" file in their profile directory or else downloading/saving files within Pale Moon won't work (unless you specifically use something like DownThemAll), presumably because it'll remember paths from Windows that no longer exist.

Other than that, removing the "file:///" history entries before-hand and clearing all previous downloads in, uh, "Downloads" seemed to result in a profile that largely "just worked". The only weird niggle is that the Pale Moon button was placed on the right-most side and the menu entries (but not the text) were similarly mirrored (e.g. "Quit" was on the left), but using safe mode's "reset toolbars and buttons" fixed that.

Nevertheless, I plan on making a proper new freshly-created profile in the future (maybe when Mint 21.0 releases?) but, for now, this seems to be working fine?