Question about Pale Moon and WebComponents

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Question about Pale Moon and WebComponents

Unread post by dfleiss » 2021-10-26, 02:53

Please don't take this as an accusation or attack, because it isn't meant to be.

I've been using Pale Moon for five years or more, and I would like to continue using it. But every week I discover that another website won't let me browse it using Pale Moon, usually (but not always) because the website uses WebComponents. As the list of websites for which I need to use another browser grows longer, I increasingly wonder why I bother splitting my time between two browsers. I like being able to customize the browser using extensions -- I started using Pale Moon when Firefox abandoned my favorite extensions -- but I wonder if I'm just on a slow path toward being forced to adopt another browser.

Does anybody think Pale Moon will be able to deal with WebComponents? If so, when do you think that will be?

I'm not trying to start an argument or point any fingers, I'm just asking for an honest assessment so I can decide whether I want to continue using two browsers -- the browser of my choice and a browser I feel I'm being forced to use -- or whether it's time for me to surrender.

Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Question about Pale Moon and WebComponents

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-26, 08:41

There are five points we are targeting right now as far as the major Horseshit Web Tech and other issues to contend with. All of them in current and active development.

1. WebComponents - Namely some of the final css selectors and interop with current XBL code, which unlike Mozilla, can't just be chucked in the bin. Good news is we recently had something of a breakthrough that was stalling us for most of the year. So that is actually looking up for once.

2. Updated Regular Expression Parser - Updating the regex parser is slow work because just getting the new one building has been a bit of a shit job but we have pushed past that milestone and now it has to be conditionally hooked up and tested all along side our current one before the old one can be ripped out.

3. ES Modules - While we have had basic ES Modules for a little while now we have to contend with the completely touchy and non-intuitive form of them as Dynamically Loadable ES Modules. This is also considered a soft-part of WebComponents as well.

4. The optional chaining (?.) and nullish coalescing (??) operators in javascript. Which is simply a huge pain in the ass.

And that leaves us with number 5. Which is operating and continuing on in a post-open source scumbag world where any glory-whoring bad actor if not out and out criminal can amass an army of triggered keyboard warrors and cyberterrorists against us at a moment's notice. Which I won't elaborate on in this thread.

Are we still up to these challenges and most coming down the pipeline? Including advancing our respective and shared infrastructure on top of all that nonsense as well? Yes, I think we are. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Question about Pale Moon and WebComponents

Unread post by dfleiss » 2021-10-27, 02:19

Thank you. I understand the difficulty of fighting the tide, but as a user, I appreciate the browser a great deal.