Issue #1721 - Global Privacy Control Support

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Issue #1721 - Global Privacy Control Support

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-09-11, 13:14

Figured I'd throw together the changes for Sec-GPC. Not sure the mochitest and telemetry stuff is still necessary, but I figured I wouldn't break parity with the DNT implementation. If/when I get a repo account, I'll make it into a PR.
If naming the pref "privacy.globalprivacyheader.enabled" isn't quite specific enough, it can be changed to "privacy.globalprivacycontrolheader.enabled", "privacy.globalcontrolheader.enabled", "privacy.gpcheader.enabled" or whatever you prefer. It's also set not to sync the pref, and to follow the "UseTrackingProtection" check which DNT uses.
Also, I'm not certain how clean my implementation of the Navigator variable is - the Navigator.doNotTrack variable is a string, whereas this is supposed to be a boolean, so I copied the way onLine works, with a "NavigatorGlobalPrivacyControl" interface that Navigator implements, rather than the partial interface methodology, so that a straight boolean-returning function could take care of it instead of a "Get*" function with a by-ref string parameter. It should also be accessible to worker and chrome-context Navigator objects, just in case. My test compile worked, but if I missed something elsewhere in the code that's required for this methodology, please let me know!

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Issue #1721 - Global Privacy Control Support

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-11, 14:34

r-

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-09-11, 19:51

Sorry, missed a function declaration in WorkerNavigator.h. Dunno why my compile didn't catch it the first time.

Also, see the commit note regarding the direct use of prefs. If a generalized (non-window-context) or Worker-context function to do the tracking protection check already exists (to future-proof such checks against possible additional preferences, compile flags, bug #1320796, and the like), please let me know. I didn't see one, though.
And if there's a header that WorkerNavigator.h has access to where I should put the gpc pref check rather than doing it directly in the function, lemme know about that too.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-11, 21:09

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-09-11, 14:34
r-

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-12, 00:21

To elaborate on the r-: we discussed this (a while back, prior to the issue being created in fact) and the straight up Mozilla port you seem to have done here is not what we want to do in this case.
What needs to happen is a direct replacement of the defunct and pointless DNT with the GPC equivalent, carrying over user preference since the intent of a user explicitly checking it has largely been the same, and for starters you really shouldn't include anything that's irrelevant to our development like automated test cases or telemetry BS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-09-12, 00:38

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-09-14, 22:27

Fixed Comparison URL - UXP: Replace DNT with Sec-GPC

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-15, 03:29

Frankly, I don't want your contributions in our collective codebases. You will almost certainly turn around and join the other fuckin freaks against us. You are already on high level probation as it is.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-03-18, 11:02

Slight bug in the implementation of this feature:
Service.prefs should be Services.prefs. This prevents the GPC header preference from being carried across from DNT.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-18, 11:09

Well, dang

Updated release notes to inform people.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-18, 21:43

RealityRipple wrote:
2022-03-18, 11:02
Slight bug in the implementation of this feature:
Seems it's not the only bug.
It does seem that your proposed code changes that I used to make these changes have a strange side-effect for password storage. Can you please have a look at what might be going on there? Did you miss a callsite or something?

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-03-18, 23:52

Pretty sure everything I proposed was strictly related to headers. However, that typo probably stopped all execution of nsBrowserGlue.js, which also includes the _promptForMasterPassword() function. With a self-compiled version with "Services" instead of "Service", the login autocompletes do seem to work. When Services.prefs.prefHasUserValue("privacy.donottrackheader.enabled") returns false, line 1535 isn't called and nsBrowserGlue.js doesn't abort execution.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-19, 00:05

ah, of course. Remind me to move these migration steps to a safer location, sometime.

Well, dang, again. How one letter can throw a spanner in the works, eh?