UXP and allied Project Contributors.. Your rights are being violated along with the MPL.

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: UXP and allied Project Contributors.. Your rights are being violated along with the MPL.

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-08-24, 17:09

What a mess.
Though I fail to understand: if all that was needed to comply with the license was to provide a mean to obtain old revisions of the source, why all the antagonism?
Unlike some other possible issues when dealing with UXP and the MPL this one seems easy to fix and almost zero cost, so I really can't see why one would act this way.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: UXP and allied Project Contributors.. Your rights are being violated along with the MPL.

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-24, 17:20

He has done so for mypal back in 2019 but this is for his basilisk hackjob though it shares much of the same Covered Code. As per Section 5.1 of the MPL he cannot come back into compliance automatically because this is the second violation put forth by the same contributor, me.

As such, he has used up his free pass to comply and I have terminated his grant to use code I have contributed to. He knew his obligations because this was an issue before and I can only conclude he will continue to violate the terms of the License if I were to allow it to pass. I will not and the MPL has provisions for this. Especially given his attitude regarding lawful notification and application of asserted rights and license terms.

For Athenian200 and Moonchild he has 29 and 30 days respectively to become compliant and resolve their respective claims as contributors. As for me, he is done and must remove all contributions I made from his offerings or stop offering them completely.

Else he will forever be known as a repeat violator of open source licenses to say nothing about stealing intellectual propery he no longer has a right to use. In addition to being subject to legal action personally and/or directed at his service providers.

Simple as that.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2021-08-25, 01:52

I'm amused by the hypocrisy on display here by someone that hides his source code every time he throws a tantrum.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-25, 03:26

My UXP Application Repo is not public because of the very same people who stole API keys and my very branding acting way worse and causing more damage than they ever did to Pale Moon and subsequently and to this day release an unfinished and flawed product before it it was finished sending hordes of people to me to solve problems for what is effectively a non-existent product. I can't believe that I have to state this.. I follow the terms of the Mozilla Public License to the letter and I didn't hide anything. I made the development repo private a total of one time of which it has remained and shall remain until I see fit.

I even went out of my way to explicitly add a preamble to my End-User License Agreement to satisfy not only MPL 2.0 Section 3.2 Paragraph A but also Paragraph B.
MOZILLA PUBLIC LICENSE COMPLIANCE DECLARATION

1. Source Code for the software used under the following license agreement, unless otherwise stated, is released under the Mozilla Public License 2.0. You can obtain a copy of the MPL 2.0 at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

2. The Source Code Form as defined by the MPL 2.0 may be obtained by sending an electronic mail (E-mail) message to support@binaryoutcast.com requesting a copy of the Source Code Form pursuant to MPL 2.0 Section 3.2 (a).

3. Under the MPL 2.0 Section 3.2 (b) the following license terms are hereby established.
This is attached to the top of the EULA which is NOT ONLY displayed upon installation on Windows but also First Run of a profile on all systems as well as it is on the Binary Outcast site. As a matter of record, the source code for a particular version of Interlink has been requested about a half-dozen times since I closed the repository. I have satisfied the request per the MPL each time.

I did my part and made sure my ducks were all in a row before I made a change. He did not, twice.

To even make a claim of hypocrisy on my part only clearly shows your personal bias and supports violating open source licenses and stealing intellectual property. Though it is to my long-term benefit that you have so completely unmasked your self like many have before you.. So for that, thanks! Now.. fuck off.

Moonbird
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Moonbird » 2021-08-25, 11:23

This post on the MSFN forum states, that the forked browsers use Duckduckgo with the Pale Moon name as an optional argument as the default search engine. Looking like this: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my- ... nt-1203815

Is there a good deal possible maybe? Screw the license, make a partnership with the hackers and make the Pale Moon importance numbers grow higher!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-25, 12:18

Just more outright theft and misrepresentation. These people are criminals and should have been treated as such from the start. They use our search plugin not for our benefit but because they were too lazy to switch it out and it implies attribution and endorsement.

They wouldn't have 90% of their notoriety if they hadn't abused our own infrastructure to spread their filth in the first place. They were only embolden by OUR OWN WEAKNESS over the first few years. They are no better than the subreddit. There is no reasoning with them nor possibility of cooperation and co-existance is untenable.

Hell the bulk of their so called target userbase is not even using legally licensed copies of Windows XP so there are zero qualms present to prevent violation of anyone's rights.

Screw the license? You are asking that we support mafia behavior, mob rule, and terrorism.. I refuse.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-08-25, 14:40

I am glad to hear that Moonchild and NewTobinParadigm are putting the pressure on Fedor2, and applying their rights as guaranteed by the Mozilla Public Licence.

I hope that, if legal action needs to be taken, Moonchild Productions comes out the victor. I can't see why Moonchild Productions wouldn't win, but with court stuff you never know sometimes. Despite the fact that no one is supposed to be "greater" in the eyes of the law than anyone else, cases can sometimes sadly depend on a particular judge.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

H_P_Lovecrafts_Cat

Unread post by H_P_Lovecrafts_Cat » 2021-08-25, 14:46

Fedor2 is acting as a bully, a traitor, and an accomplice to criminal actions in this scenario. I hope that he gets the treatment that he deserves for his actions. Specifically, I hope he serves jailtime. If he hates the MPL so much I am sure his copies of his other softwares are illegally obtained as well.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-08-25, 15:17

Moonbird wrote:
2021-08-25, 11:23
Screw the license, make a partnership with the hackers and make the Pale Moon importance numbers grow higher!
That's like saying you shouldn't turn a thief to the police because the thief will give you a share of their loot. I think you hackers need an ethics check.

Your actions are literally against the spirit of free software.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-08-26, 13:25

In this case, because this software is provided for free and is under an open source license, I very much agree that Fedor should either do the right thing, whether it be, change the branding, or stop using uxp, or better yet, in general he should stop being an ass and apologize and do one of the above. :P

That would be my view.

If not, which seems to be the case, I am sure you will win via the courts. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-26, 13:56

As always, your assessment are not applicable dude. Fedor2 is not roytam1 so please make sure you know who you are talking about.

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2021-08-26, 17:25

So, from what I read so far:

The guy builds up on open source. He doesn't try to make it into closed source product to make millions, while the original open source contributors would get nothing, or anything like that, which would be clearly against the idea of open source and with bad intentions. He doesn't try to hide the changed source code, he makes it available, but not correctly, for whatever reason. Whether he's careless, lazy, incompetent, ...

The result of this is that should anyone want exact source code for specific binary release, they would have to either figure it out themselves or ask him what exactly it is. I hate having to talk with people too, when I don't want to, but it still doesn't sound all that horrible.

The fitting punishment for this, and for what could be seen as being perhaps a little disrespectful, which probably comes from not understanding what's the big deal, is to basically forbid him to work on this ever again. Because taking out one person's code from bazillion places, which was added over several years, and reimplementing it again, is clearly not realistic and won't happen.

Stopping him will be great achievement, the world will become a better place. He'll be very sad and will go cry to his grandma, who will recommend him to find some different hobby. And because she is already bored with knitting and gardening and needs a new hobby herself, she'll take up programming. She will rewrite her grandson's browser from scratch, fully legal of course, not looking at his tainted repo, releasing modified sources correctly, etc. Who would have thought that she had it in her! The person who's rights were violated so horribly will feel good for defending them, the bad guy will learn his lesson, together with everyone watching this, and one grandma will have wonderful new hobby. Yep, it's all worth it. :lol:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-26, 20:29

Isn't it? We need more grandmas in the open source community to help teach these young whippersnappers how open source is supposed to be done like it was in her day.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2021-08-29, 18:42

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-08-24, 17:20
As such, he has used up his free pass to comply and I have terminated his grant to use code I have contributed to. He knew his obligations because this was an issue before and I can only conclude he will continue to violate the terms of the License if I were to allow it to pass. I will not and the MPL has provisions for this. Especially given his attitude regarding lawful notification and application of asserted rights and license terms.
Question due curiosity:

Would you ever reinstate your grant towards Fedor2 when he completely complies to the MPL by resolving your pointed out issues?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-29, 18:53

Removing my contributions removes me from the equation.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2021-08-29, 19:11

So it means that you or any other person who has his code contained in the main tree to the UXP repository, could make or break someone else's project which is build atop of the UXP platform, even when that someone is compliant to the MPL?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-29, 19:20

Your tone and phrasing is conserning. I suggest you (re)read the terms of the Mozilla Public License 2.0 and keep in mind the key point that this is the second violation for roughly the same code under the same license and happens to be the pretty well same circumstance as when I notified him in 2019.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-29, 19:29

At a later point in time I'll write a guide for contributors about the MPL in plain English with examples for everyone's benefit (both friends and apparent foes to the project) that will answer any of these kinds of questions. I understand that it's rare that a grant is retracted and might not be something many people are familiar with, but when it does happen, it has immediate consequences to both the person who broke with the terms of the license as well as anyone else who is using that person's repository as a source for their own work. The TL;DR of that is "don't use non-compliant sources for anything".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-09-02, 00:56

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-08-26, 13:56
As always, your assessment are not applicable dude. Fedor2 is not roytam1 so please make sure you know who you are talking about.
Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize, my bad, seems I put my foot in my mouth.