UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-02, 10:53

Off-topic:
Oh, by the way, those TPS reports? You need a new cover sheet for those. Didn't you get the memo?
I'll just forward you another copy.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-02, 19:35

RealityRipple wrote:
2021-08-02, 01:37
there's no getUserMedia
getUserMedia is part of WebRTC.. Why are you missing out on being able to easily determin what obviously does or does not exist. Maybe you are the wrong person to be managing this endevor because like a poor marksman.. You keep missing the target.

Are you keeping this stuff publicly git controlled or what because your increasing signs of seeming ineptitude could end up screwing us worse than Mozilla for such a needed resource.

Why ARE we trusting a 3rd party resource anyway?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-02, 19:48

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-08-02, 19:35
Why ARE we trusting a 3rd party resource anyway?
Because we can't do everything ourselves.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-02, 20:28

getUserMedia was just one of the ways to confirm that most the Reporting API entry is defunct; it wasn't the focus of my statement even slightly.
Last edited by RealityRipple on 2021-08-02, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-02, 20:31

It might help if you'd go through UXP commits and see which APIs were actually removed from the platform over time (for various reasons like being gadgeteering or generally undesired for the web/privacy/etc.)

Also, By the way, the platform does have more functionality than is built into Pale Moon. e.g. WebRTC is built in Basilisk (as well as parental controls and specific accessibility hardware support) so if you're using Pale Moon to check stuff be aware of that or you might be removing too much from the documentation.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-02, 20:44

xref's moonchild-central root includes Pale Moon and Basilisk sources, yeah? And I'm just gonna keep the Reporting API page as-is for now (I mean, I'll fix the Report-To header link...) because of CSP.

But you're right, I probably will end up combing through commit histories for a lot of this. Right now I'm focusing on pages that don't exist more than pages that don't need to exist. I'm trying to only delete defunct pages/sections if they have lots of broken links themselves, so I don't have to fix things I'm gonna end up deleting anyway.

Oh, and if you want, pull any older commit from MDN's github and make your own docs your own way. UDN is literally just a "we were running out of time" scrape that I'm trying to clean up.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-02, 21:44

That doesn't include changes or history from when it was a python wiki stored in a database. I do have an older dump that likely SHOULD have been used for this but you went half-cocked into this thing.. If you recall.

Would you like it? It is from late 2016.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-03, 01:32

Thanks, but I've made enough fixes and new pages and such for this one that I'd rather not start over again.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-03, 02:10

There still might be gems though.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-03, 02:37

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have another place to look for missing pages. And eventually, if ever a wiki or other user-contributable doc site is created, it might serve as a better base.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-03, 03:13

Except no. Never. It isn't in any kind of automateable form nor should it be.

We already HAVE a developer site that can be contributed to. Very few do though. I dunno how you could be ignorant of that.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-03, 04:04

I've repeatedly said my next plan after cleaning up the docs backup is to try to transition it over to something more like a wiki, where users can at least suggest edits or deletions. I'm not talking about a new resource site, and I'm not talking about automating the process.

Unless you want all the UDN pages stuffed into it, I don't see how your developer site's relevant. I'm not trying to make anything like that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-03, 05:26

So I indeed need to do everything my self because you won't play ball and collaborate with our living Developer Site. On top of that you direct me to a useless commit on a repo that has none of the historical data. K.

You know, this is exactly why I didn't want you to do this in the first place because you lack any actual cooperation skills and are seemingly only in this for your own petty and selfish desires while getting others to rely on you. That makes you, intentionally or not a glory whore.

You do realize the eventual consequences of this right? Continuing your JustOffian bullshit... In short, I would have to crush you like the rest unless you smarten up here and take a look beyond your chair at the bigger picture.