UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-05-19, 17:40

This topic is for community interaction regarding https://udn.realityripple.com/, the web technologies documentation backup of the Mozilla Developer Network documentation website.

A couple basic "facts of status" and rules about UDN:
Keep in mind this is a backup, not a live, updated website.
At this time, please do not report bad links, broken images or examples, or script snippets without formatting - all those things are already being taken care of, however slowly.
I will not be making major additions or changes to the documentation - there will be constant mentions of Mozilla and its products, WebExtensions, and all kinds of things that are entirely unrelated to UXP or the direction of its development. Some content may be reverted if it was altered to fit WebExtensions, or removed if it's a snippet about WebExtension changes that apply to the page's topic. Future changes will hopefully go much further, such as adding Pale Moon and Basilisk to the browser compatibility tables.
The Archive directory contains much of the more important information, particularly regarding XUL and Overlay Extensions. This directory will remain as-is in this backup for now. Maybe re-integration can be in the "future changes" list as well, but it's a big folder.

I will also be asking the development team questions about what should be retained and what can safely be removed from the backup as I go. If you are not a member of staff but have some direct input regarding the pages or sections in question, don't hesitate to speak up!

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-05-19, 17:42

The first question I have for the community in this new topic is simple:

Do you ever use the "Related Topics" link list on the left of the documentation pages?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-19, 18:10

I do sometimes when I can't find something in particular in the main content, as there are times when that column actually has the relevant link.
But I can't really say that I will miss it if it's gone. I have mixed feelings on the matter.
Still, if all you want to know is about usage and nothing else, then yes, I do use it from time to time.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-19, 18:13

I have been thinking about something. I have this domain .. thereisonlyxul.org that I am doing basically nothing with in regards to anything more than a list of UXP applications. Maybe .. and I am only considering here.. But maybe this should point to UDN instead. Especially if you are gonna continue to preserve various resources like MDN or maybe planet xul or w/e.

I could change the nameservers to where it would be effectively in your control.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-05-19, 19:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-19, 18:13
I have been thinking about something. I have this domain .. thereisonlyxul.org that I am doing basically nothing with in regards to anything more than a list of UXP applications. Maybe .. and I am only considering here.. But maybe this should point to UDN instead. Especially if you are gonna continue to preserve various resources like MDN or maybe planet xul or w/e.

I could change the nameservers to where it would be effectively in your control.
Maybe for another iteration of the project - not the "backup". I've been hoping to eventually transition to something more like a Wiki, where people besides me can make edits and additions, bringing the docs back to a "living" website, with updated changes as UXP is developed and improved. That feels more like a decent role for your domain, though I have no idea when (or if) we'll reach that stage.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-06-15, 23:37

Added search result title query match bolding and path segment hyperlinking. Still slowly making my way through bad links on pages.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-21, 02:19

Just updated 1700 demo "$sample" urls to "_sample_." urls. If anyone sees a demo iframe that complains about legacy "$sample" urls (as seen below), please let me know.
Legacy ($samples) URLs for live samples are now fully deprecated and will not work. If you have a document that relies on a URL with '$samples' in it, switch to using the EmbedLiveSample() macro instead.
I'll back all these up at some point in the future as well.

shevy
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by shevy » 2021-07-24, 15:07

I think the only times I used MDN was mostly by random google search results.

As for domains: I think it would be best to keep all domains as close together as possible; thereisonlyxul.org is a bit of a weird domain name. I
don't think that should be used. How many use XUL? If it's only palemoon then a subdomain on palemoon may be better ... or name it
xulmoon.org :P (but that would have the same issue) ... or xul.palemoon.org. But that looks weird ... so perhaps just add a
/xul URI on palemoon.org for that or /mdn or something. To be fair: I suspect most other people also don't use MDN that often altogether.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-24, 15:22

Pale Moon is only ONE application among many that use the Unified XUL Platform.

However, I think this is now moot given recent events.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-31, 21:17

Is the WebDriver section still applicable? Looks like the pages on the subject are a bit lacking to begin with.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-31, 21:19

We don't support headless bullshit or selenium.. Exterminate it.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-31, 21:20

Glad I didn't waste time making dummy pages for WebElement and WebWindow to redirect to DOM's Element and HTML's Window.

I think later on I'm gonna have to put together a big list of individual pages to delete... for now, tho, here's my next few to ask about: Also, is getFeature() still a function of element or node? It shows up as a broken link on over a dozen pages. Looks like it's bundled in with "Historical" in the spec.

Definitely starting to think of ways to transfer all of this to a wiki cleanly...

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-01, 17:27

I'm down to broken internal links that only exist on 20 pages or less. Then I can start working on links to developer.mozilla.org, and finally general external links. To get there, though, it's gonna be a bit messy.

There's a ton of unmade pages, of course, some of which I can kind of put together from w3c docs and existing similar pages, but others... I'm pretty sure don't need to exist.

Right now I'm looking through the events list, and... yeah... Just as an example, see the big list on the left of a randomly chosen event. Any link that's the "not created" red color is up to be created or deleted. Here's the full list:
  • Audio Channels API events
    • headphoneschange (onheadphoneschange still exists in dom/webidl/AudioChannelManager.webidl and dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
    • mozinterruptbegin
    • mozinterruptend
  • CSS Font Loading API events
    • All
  • Device Orientation events
  • Encrypted Media Extensions events
    • encrypted
    • keystatuschange
    • waitingforkey
  • File System API events
    • writeend (onwriteend is mentioned in js/src/octane/mandreel.js. unrelated)
  • FMRadio API events
    • antennaavailablechange (onantennaavailablechange is mentioned in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
    • frequencychange (onfrequencychange is mentioned in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
  • Media Capture and Streams events
    • active
    • inactive (these two are fairly commonly named and the classes covered in "Media Capture and Streams" is kinda large, but I'm not seeing any events with these names that stick out. i'll come back to these two)
    • overconstrained (looks like there's a few leftover tests, but it's mostly been moved to a type of error rather than an event)
    • started (also a fairly common term. double-check)
  • Media Source Extensions events
    • addsourcebuffer
    • removesourcebuffer
    • sourceclose
    • sourceended
    • sourceopen
    • update
    • updateend
    • updatestart
  • MediaStream Recording events
    • dataavailable
    • stop
  • Mobile Connection API events
    • cardstatechange (oncardstatechange is mentioned in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
    • icccardlockerror
  • Mobile Messaging API events
    • deliveryerror (ondeliveryerror is mentioned in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
    • deliverysuccess (ondeliverysuccess is mentioned in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
    • failed
    • received
    • retrieving
    • sending
    • sent
  • Presentation API events
    • sessionavailable
    • sessionconnect
  • Service Workers API events
    • controllerchange
    • fetch
    • updatefound
  • Settings API events
    • All
  • Speaker Manager API events
    • speakerforcedchange (listed in dom/events/EventNameList.h as a non_idl_event. but since it's listed nowhere else, it must not get triggered, at least at the framework level)
  • SVG events
    • DOMCharacterDataModified (listed in dom/events/EventNameList.h as a non_idl_event. mentioned in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h. lots of tests, but not seeing anything trigger it)
    • DOMNodeInserted (same, plus mentioned in a comment)
    • DOMNodeInsertedIntoDocument (same)
    • DOMNodeRemoved (same, plus mentioned in some comments)
    • DOMNodeRemovedFromDocument (same)
    • SVGZoom
  • TCP Socket API events
    • data
    • drain
  • Time and Clock API events
    • All
  • TV API events
    • All (all have an on* listed in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
  • Web Audio API events
    • loaded (not 100% on this one, common name)
    • nodecreate
  • Web MIDI API events
    • midimessage
  • WebRTC events
    • isolationchange
  • Web Telephony API events
    • incoming (not 100% on this one, common name, but there's an onincoming in dom/base/nsGkAtomList.h)
  • WebVTT events (if this is about text captions in video, then I'm pretty sure these exist)
    • enter
    • exit
Because they're just dead links, there's no rush on this, but any of them that can be removed or marked as "should be documented" would be great.
Last edited by RealityRipple on 2021-08-02, 04:24, edited 6 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-01, 19:46

We don't have most of those...

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-01, 20:39

Good, then I can delete most of them and get 'em out of the way. If there are any that are supported by UXP, lemme know and I'll save 'em and make dummy "TODO" pages where applicable.

What about the pages I mentioned in my previous post's edit? Any of those still a thing?

Also, if there's any documentation on spidermonkey's JSScript class in existence, it looks like that's a kinda important page that was never written... Not sure what to do about all the dead links that try to point to it except make them not links or make a dummy page for it as well. But it kinda seems like an important thing to have documented. Actually, are internal things like spidermonkey still on the list of things that should be documented with this site? I suppose if someone wants to make a UXP-based application or NPAPI plugin, it'd be useful...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-01, 21:53

Why don't you use our resources to investigate what we have and what we don't and then I can tell you what we intend to continue supporting.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-01, 23:05

Do I ignore anything that shows up exclusively in one or more /test/ folders, or do those still imply some kind of functionality in UXP?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-02, 00:02

Tests outside js and layout are not maintained and all tests should be excluded on xref as it cut regenerating the index from nearly an hour to fifteen minutes.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-02, 01:37

Crossed out a bunch (some with notes, meaning I'm pretty sure they're gone, but not certain). There's a handful that are still listed only in nsGkAtomList (some only through an on* function), and a handful that are also still listed in EventNameList or similar header files. I generally tried to mark the ones only listed in nsGkAtomList and those that only have on* functions as crossed out, and ones that were still defined in another header as not crossed out but commented on, since I don't know if they may still be used in one or more applications and are still defined in UXP for backward-compatibility reasons, or if they just didn't get cleaned up during a Mozillextra purge.

TPS looks like it's still a thing in Sync, Report and ReportingObserver from the Reporting API look like they're gone (and there's no getUserMedia in navigator), and getFeature() looks gone except for some graphite and nsISAXXMLReader functions, which isn't the context for the entry. I'll worry about cleaning the Tools and Testing section another time...

One more for the general deletion list: is Presentation (and its related classes) safe to remove?
Last edited by RealityRipple on 2021-08-02, 05:06, edited 2 times in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-08-02, 03:25

Off-topic:
Make sure your TPS reports have the right cover sheet ;)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX