Could it's possible to use XPCOM outside of UXP? Topic is solved

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Could it's possible to use XPCOM outside of UXP?

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-18, 04:22

Imagine my application is console interface so it doesn't need the full UXP platform. I will only need at most the JavaScript engine and XPCOM. Is it possible and how to do this?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Could it's possible to use XPCOM outside of UXP?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-18, 07:09

No. The codebase is too integrated to pull that trick. You can have spidermonkey or nspr or nss on its own but that's it..

I suppose if you did want to widdle it down to absolute basics then you'd need xpcom, nspr, nss, netwerk, mozglue, memory, mfbt, what is left of xpfe and most of xre plus xpconnect to spidermonkey. Layout, dom, media, gfx and most of widget would be expendable if you didn't want a rendering engine.

It would take years.

Dude, I don't want to be rude here but these questions are a time sink and you are going to have to accept that aside from a few optional components the platform codebase or those traditionally sub-projects them selves is all or nothing.

Not to mention you are about 12 years too late to the party to even entertain THESE types of theoreticals.

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Could it's possible to use XPCOM outside of UXP?

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-18, 12:01

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-18, 07:09
No. The codebase is too integrated to pull that trick. You can have spidermonkey or nspr or nss on its own but that's it..

I suppose if you did want to widdle it down to absolute basics then you'd need xpcom, nspr, nss, netwerk, mozglue, memory, mfbt, what is left of xpfe and most of xre plus xpconnect to spidermonkey. Layout, dom, media, gfx and most of widget would be expendable if you didn't want a rendering engine.

It would take years.

Dude, I don't want to be rude here but these questions are a time sink and you are going to have to accept that aside from a few optional components the platform codebase or those traditionally sub-projects them selves is all or nothing.

Not to mention you are about 12 years too late to the party to even entertain THESE types of theoreticals.
Want to write native desktop application or server side application in JavaScript. By native, I mean the JavaScript is only used as a glue to existing C/C++ library via the binding using XPCOM. So basically, I wanted to use JavaScript the similar way Python is being used now. You could see the image of NodeJS and PyQt here. Electron on the other hand resembles UXP more than what I wanted to do.

I understand your explaination. Thank you.