Where to find documents about UXP?

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Where to find documents about UXP?

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-15, 14:03

I want to start an UXP based program but don't know where to begin at all. Yes, I did search but the results only caused me to be more confused. It didn't help. Please tell me what I should do. Thanks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Where to find documents about UXP?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-15, 14:24

There is no such documentation at this time. May never be any. Tell me what do you want to accomplish? Cause your outdated system can't even produce fully working builds of Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-15, 14:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-15, 14:24
Cause your outdated system can't even produce fully working builds of Pale Moon.
it's actually worse since it can't even run mainline binaries properly. Something is very wrong with that system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-15, 14:54

Not had time to study it yet, but I came across this the other other day, which looked useful: XUL tutorial for beginners.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-15, 15:48

That would help with the xul part but not with the binary or build system bits to create a new application.

XULRunner isn't the same as a real standalone application. Also XULRunner is currently in piss poor shape sitting in mothballs.

I could create a skeleton UXP application and I intend to that would be like a re-imagining of xulrunner that would use the extension system that would merely overlay an entry point onto the main window as both a rapid application and complex extension protoyping environment and hostrunner.

That uxprunner and old xulrunner are both on the agenda but very low priority.

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-16, 00:40

There is no such documentation at this time. May never be any. Tell me what do you want to accomplish? Cause your outdated system can't even produce fully working builds of Pale Moon.
I need to clarify here. My system is not outdated and I have no problems using my unofficial builds of PM. Only your official tarball GTK3 version has problems for me. I want to use UXP to develop some sort of drawing program like LazPaint (developed using Lazarus).

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-16, 00:42

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-15, 14:27
Cause your outdated system can't even produce fully working builds of Pale Moon.
it's actually worse since it can't even run mainline binaries properly. Something is very wrong with that system.
Official tarball GTK2 version running without any problems. Only GTK3 tarball does.

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-16, 00:55

2021-04-15, 15:48
That would help with the xul part but not with the binary or build system bits to create a new application.

XULRunner isn't the same as a real standalone application. Also XULRunner is currently in piss poor shape sitting in mothballs.

I could create a skeleton UXP application and I intend to that would be like a re-imagining of xulrunner that would use the extension system that would merely overlay an entry point onto the main window as both a rapid application and complex extension protoyping environment and hostrunner.

That uxprunner and old xulrunner are both on the agenda but very low priority.
Could you give me a skeleton of a sample UXP app? People said I should use Ambassador as a reference but this program is too complex for me. When I view the code, I have no idea how it works at all. And what about setting IDE for JS, e.g: Eclipse? You definitely can't code JS without an IDE. Don't tell me you guys all develop using Notepad++ and watch the .jsm for reference? It's much better to just type a dot and let the IDE gives you a list of functions to choose from. I can't live without code completion at all.

Another problem here. Do I have to rebuild my app everytime I made a change, even a tiny one? Because I found it's noway for me to preview the app without doing so. People said .xul file is treated the same as .html. It's not really the case, though. I could load a .html file to see how it rendered but not a .xul file.

It's given that I could have my app to work at all. Doing development like that I think it's like a blind people to code, can't see the result of his works without building it. Such a process of trial and error is long and error prone. If it's really the case then Lazarus with it drag and drop GUI designer when you could see the result while you designing it is much easier IMHO.

Could I mitigate this by developing my app as an extension of PM first then later ported it to be a standalone app? There must be a way to load extension on the fly to test it, I think. Even though it's still a slow trial and error process, it's much faster than the route I said above. Still noway comparable to the ability to just hit F5 to see your changes get rendered like with .html file, though.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-16, 01:49

djgpp wrote:
2021-04-16, 00:55
And what about setting IDE for JS, e.g: Eclipse?
I use Spket's Eclipse plugin. There's a link to an update site for Eclipse here. If you point it to the PM install directory it will support code completion for some APIs, and it has its own editors for Javascript and XUL.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-16, 02:21

Yes you would have to issue a build command everytime. Also, i think you have no idea what you are trying to get into and are years away from even trying. So maybe you should take your outdated system and your outdated and busted debian and discontinued intel processor and poor intel graphics and focus on something a bit more pressing and obtainable like maybe forking an old Firefox extension?

Also the way ambassador is setup is not exactly standard but cobbled together build system wise and would be a terrible model for you.

I help people to reach attainable goals not whimical fantasy five minutes after they show up based on no experience. Until you accept reality and prove yourself I see no reason to humor you.

djgpp
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-16, 02:48

2021-04-16, 02:21
Yes you would have to issue a build command everytime. Also, i think you have no idea what you are trying to get into and are years away from even trying. So maybe you should take your outdated system and your outdated and busted debian and discontinued intel processor and poor intel graphics and focus on something a bit more pressing and obtainable like maybe forking an old Firefox extension?

Also the way ambassador is setup is not exactly standard but cobbled together build system wise and would be a terrible model for you.

I help people to reach attainable goals not whimical fantasy five minutes after they show up based on no experience. Until you accept reality and prove yourself I see no reason to humor you.
How to fork Firefox extension? If I can I wanted to fork WikiDictionary, if I recall it name right.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-16, 02:55

That is for you to learn. The Developer Site has a link to RealityRipple's MDN archive with info that would help in general and dpmo also has info on how to submit. Keep in mind most Mozilla documentation may be out of date but still may apply conceptually but specifics may be diffetent.

Also if it is jetpack based then you should either move along or create it a replacement from scratch. Also obey all licenses and rebrand.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-16, 06:59

djgpp wrote:
You definitely can't code JS without an IDE.
Off-topic:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
*Wheezes*
djgpp wrote:
2021-04-16, 02:48
How to fork Firefox extension?
If you're stumped because you can't figure out what to do from official (or anyway officially distributed) resources, read other people's code.
There are plenty of simple extensions you can learn from, out there.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-16, 07:10

You can't?
0e5f37c7-d84a-48cb-a4e1-aac94c9e9c81.jpg

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2021-04-16, 07:37

djgpp wrote:
I've seen people code JS on SATA before, though. Don't know why you'd need IDE.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-16, 07:38

djgpp wrote:
Wait, you guys don't code in SCSI?
Last edited by jobbautista9 on 2021-04-16, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-16, 07:39

Nah dood. Though you could do it on an MFM if you really wanted to. If you do though in 2021.. All the power to you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-16, 10:28

Off-topic:
For those for whom the TLAs get too thick. IDE is also "Integrated Development Environment" not just the I/O interface standard
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-16, 13:35

>the_joke.jpg