Why was Firefox 52 chosen over 45 or 47 for UXP?

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

R3n_001
Moonbather
Moonbather

Why was Firefox 52 chosen over 45 or 47 for UXP?

Unread post by R3n_001 » 2021-04-03, 03:41

I know 52 is like the last release before Rust, but in my mind, I think 45 or 47 would have been a better fork point.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Why was Firefox 52 chosen over 45 or 47 for UXP?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-03, 04:43

No it wouldn't have. ESR versions are pseudo-stable or were with the exception of 31. 45 was too old and insecure at the time.. If we wanted to stay on older than dirt when we did UXP Take 2 we may as well have stayed on Tycho. The ONLY advantage 45 had over 52 was lack of mozconfigure but that's it.

UXP Take 1 aka Moebius was a total mistake that should never have been allowed to happen but I wasn't paying attention and no one else bothered to check to see if it could serve anything but mutated-beyond-reason comm and Firefox its self. Months of private work was wasted. 52 was the newest code that was sustainable to work on. BTW, you are wrong.. Rust WAS in 52 just not mandatory and it hadn't infected it too too much.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-03, 11:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-03, 04:43
I wasn't paying attention and no one else bothered to check to see if it could serve anything but mutated-beyond-reason comm and Firefox its self.
That's nonsense. The reality is we didn't figure out it was so unusable until AFTER we ran into development and compatibility walls. So it's not like nobody bothered, it was just not possible to know until we got as far as we did that it was actually unusable for anything we wanted to do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-03, 15:40

I could have started much earlier on the port and didn't. If there is someone to blame it is me not you as you were toying and tinkering with Basilisk for 9 months before I could be bothered to pay attention enough and try to make it do something else other than an application it was specifically designed to run on it.

So please don't misunderstand where I assign responsibility. The first indication of unsuitibility was deep in the xre refactor storm in 53 and I found out about it and more within a week of actually trying. So yes, I do blame my self because it was my area of contribution that really brought it to light and I could have found out way before I did but I guess 2017.

It is because of that I busted my ass driving my self so hard in 2018 into temporary insanity to make up for it.