ARM-based Macs

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: ARM-based Macs

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-12-11, 13:19

It isn't that simple and you know it.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-12-11, 16:50

That's all I've ever needed to do to build anything UXP on any of my systems, with respect to thermal control. I don't own an Apple computer, but I have considered purchasing one in the past to assist with building UXP applications. So if you have any additional insight or expertise, then by all means please share it.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-07, 17:24

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-12-07, 09:08
So you are back to being a moron.. How disappointing.

One, we need hardware that can build not just run.

Two, hackintosh is extremely hard to get right and still does not provide a real environment.

Three, your citing of 10.6 is irrelevant as we don't even target it.

Four, Arm Macintosh wouldn't be running OS X it would be a newer version of OS 11 which I expect to devolve into a service rolling release like everything else.

And five, running Apple's software on non-apple hardware is a violation of whatever Apple's eq of a EULA is.

So your musings are uninformed, wholesale irrelevant, and promotes software piracy.

Stop before you dig yourself deeper.
Not sure if that promotes piracy or as I prefer to call it, copyright infringement. I mean no one actually dies from copyright infringement.

:lol:

But it is definitely a dumb idea, mac osx is not worth installing on anything, too restrictive.

Although I am curious, how they can even enforce such an insane law. Aka, non apple hardware cannot have apple installed on it. It's all confusing to me...

But your first four points are entirely logical.

Unrelated, but EULA'S should be summed up in one page not 4+ pages

And not in lawyer speak, otherwise people just sign up for it without thinking or agree to stuff they would never agree to otherwise.

That all being said, I know I am not one to talk, but this name calling stuff goes nowhere...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-07, 17:38

In a world where mere accusations are enough for conviction in a politicized court system let alone the courts of Big Tech or Cancel Culture.. We MUST ALWAYS be legally on the up and up. It is the ONLY defense we have.

jacobliu1234
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by jacobliu1234 » 2021-02-08, 01:15

Off-topic:
Why are we even building for mac's such a stupid closed of platform but for a long time it is all we have if we want to be great we must rjecet the walled gardens of yesteryear and forge forward with our own playofrms. I maintain a Linux distor on my time and I mnot sure why you are even trying to cooperate with a company that won't give you the time of day. Reject macos and embrace the future.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-08, 01:49

jacobliu1234 wrote:
2021-02-08, 01:15
Why are we even building for mac's such a stupid closed of platform
Off-topic:
Not clear whether you're trolling or just plain retarded, though my money's on the latter. Newsflash, we aren't taking the help of Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple HQ to put out these builds.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-08, 03:55

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-02-07, 17:38
In a world where mere accusations are enough for conviction in a politicized court system let alone the courts of Big Tech or Cancel Culture.. We MUST ALWAYS be legally on the up and up. It is the ONLY defense we have.
Off-topic:
So what your saying is, things are messed up in this world.

you do have a point if that's what your saying.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-08, 03:58

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-08, 01:49
jacobliu1234 wrote:
2021-02-08, 01:15
Why are we even building for mac's such a stupid closed of platform
Not clear whether you're trolling or just plain retarded, though my money's on the latter. Newsflash, we aren't taking the help of Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple HQ to put out these builds.
Off-topic:
I don't think he was trolling, I think like me, he prefers unix based operating systems, such as BSD or Linux. More likely the latter though.

Apple, sorry I mean "crapple" is very freedom restricting more than gaggle and microbugs combined.

My point, I don't think he is retarded whatsoever. He just prefers open source freedom to proprietary nonsense. That's my thought on what he saying. He can correct me if I am wrong though. :)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-08, 05:10

Off-topic:
Takes an extreme amount of idiocy to not realize the Mac build is made by a Mac user for Mac users, who bought their macs because they find them useful and aren't informed by ideology when making choices.
It's this insufferable superior attitude of Linux u⃥s⃥e⃥r⃥s⃥ evangelists that keeps it niche while it remains inconsistent across distros and with an unpolished user interface despite years of copying from Windows. Right now, I am stuck on kernel 4.x because no matter what, my RTL8723BE chipset from 2015 is considered too obsolete to support in the 5.x kernel, while it keeps getting automatically installed with no way to prevent that.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-08, 05:19

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-08, 05:10
Takes an extreme amount of idiocy to not realize the Mac build is made by a Mac user for Mac users, who bought their macs because they find them useful and aren't informed by ideology when making choices.
It's this insufferable superior attitude of Linux u⃥s⃥e⃥r⃥s⃥ evangelists that keeps it niche while it remains inconsistent across distros and with an unpolished user interface despite years of copying from Windows. Right now, I am stuck on kernel 4.x because no matter what, my RTL8723BE chipset from 2015 is considered too obsolete to support in the 5.x kernel, while it keeps getting automatically installed with no way to prevent that.
Off-topic:
Actually, I think that's only a part of it, keep in mind, most corporations don't want people to be free from spying and try to suck people into proprietary oses.

That being said, you do have a point that some linux users are arrogant as all hell. I have known a few some of whom think redhat isn't trying to ruin the ideals it once had and in fact embrace anything that is free software (freely licensed) even if it is bloated, insecure and breaks backwards compatibility and in effect is made to prevent freedom.
But I get what your saying, tim cook has nothing to do with palemoon. That is true.

As for BSD and Mac OS X, keep in mind there are a lot of users who have the same arrogance... windows too as well...

My point, arrogance and superiority are very, very common in any group in the world.

I would also add, OpenBSD devs, are very arrogant in particular, I love their software, but they flame a hell of a lot. :(

Libressl for example is good, sndio is good and Xenocara is cool too, but again, they very elitist.

Though at least they keen on security. They passionate, sometimes too much so... heh.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-08, 05:48

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-08, 05:19
windows too as well...
When has that ever happened except in response to taunts from the Mac/Linux crowd?

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-08, 10:41

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-08, 05:48
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-08, 05:19
windows too as well...
When has that ever happened except in response to taunts from the Mac/Linux crowd?
Off-topic:
That is a good point, its not nearly as common with the windows crowd. Like less than half as common. I think its because windows is such a spyware/backdoored virus haven zone that both crowds feel superior to them. I must admit, I have felt that way before. I still wonder to myself why people use windows so much when its so easy to get a virus or worse. But compared to mac, I actually think windows is the less effed up system. Mostly because of the anti right to repair crap that apple does.

Hackintosh feels like a waste, whether its legal or not. My two cents...

I don't know which platform though is worse out of google and microsoft though. They both pretty bad.

That being said, different people, different tastes. After everything that has happened in my country, big tech issues are just the tip of the iceberg...
conspiracy theories have taken over one of the political parties, and one of them is big on fascism/crushing their enemies no matter the cost to democracy even if it means being hypocritical and throwing fits when they don't get their way. I have been there certainly in my mind, but even I knew I didn't deserve to be in a place of leadership back then/not long ago.

Anywho, that was a mini ramble, my point, I am not into capitalism whatsoever. Or at least not pure captialism... Balance is key to any system.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-08, 11:26

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-08, 10:41
I think its because windows is such a spyware/backdoored virus haven zone that both crowds feel superior to them. I must admit, I have felt that way before. I still wonder to myself why people use windows so much when its so easy to get a virus or worse.
Off-topic:
The backdooring is only since Windows 10, and 'easy to get a virus' is only true for morons who click on everything they see while visiting dodgy sites. They won't be much safer on a Mac either. I haven't had any viruses in the quarter century plus time I've been using Windows going back to version 3.1.
WiseWolf wrote:
I am not into capitalism whatsoever
Color me surprised, given that it's the fashion these days to bash 'capitalism' for all the problems created by big government, though I'd like to know what relevance it has to Windows vs Mac.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-08, 11:50

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-08, 11:26
WiseWolf wrote:
I think its because windows is such a spyware/backdoored virus haven zone that both crowds feel superior to them. I must admit, I have felt that way before. I still wonder to myself why people use windows so much when its so easy to get a virus or worse.
The backdooring is only since Windows 10, and 'easy to get a virus' is only true for morons who click on everything they see while visiting dodgy sites. They won't be much safer on a Mac either. I haven't had any viruses in the quarter century plus time I've been using Windows going back to version 3.1.
WiseWolf wrote:
I am not into capitalism whatsoever
Color me surprised, given that it's the fashion these days to bash 'capitalism' for all the problems created by big government, though I'd like to know what relevance it has to Windows vs Mac.
Off-topic:
Actually, my point was that I don't like the big corporations from big tech that's why I mentioned that.

Whether its governments or corporations, I think both are responsible for various surveillance and backdoor issues.

Backdoors are put in by corporations into hardware but government clearly has a stake in this. On the other hand though, corporations seem like they love selling our information... so they both guilty. One is definitely more guilty, but both certainly are.

As for mac vs windows, I hadn't realized mac was as bad as windows... that means I should dislike all proprietors almost equally.

Alright, I better stop chatting after this, its going to go more off topic. Probably...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-08, 11:55

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-08, 11:50
Actually, my point was that I don't like the big corporations from big tech that's why I mentioned that.

Whether its governments or corporations, I think both are responsible for various surveillance and backdoor issues.
Off-topic:
Agreed but neither of these has anything to do with capitalism, which is nothing more than respect for private property and the freedom to trade with others for mutual benefit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-08, 12:38

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-08, 11:55
capitalism, which is nothing more than respect for private property and the freedom to trade with others for mutual benefit.
Glad to see someone at least still knows the definition of capitalism, and not just the opinions about it. But all of this is kind of off-topic for this topic. What does that have to do with ARM-based Macs? Why did you even respond to that evangelism post?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-08, 12:41

I just couldn't resist responding to this point, seen way too much of capitalism bashing by people ascribing way too many things to it that it isn't.

jacobliu1234
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by jacobliu1234 » 2021-02-08, 21:31

Off-topic:
Capitalism is the greatest economic system of all time

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-08, 22:03

Off-topic:
When not corrupted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-09, 00:07

I guess my hint about the derailing of the subject was too subtle...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite