ARM-based Macs

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: ARM-based Macs

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-09, 03:42

Well derailed is a matter of perspective really the conversation lost focus the moment realityripple brought up raspberrypi and hackintosh so fourth or fifth post?

When we went from facts or condition planning and requirements and the reality of it to pulling idle speculation out of multiple asses.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-09, 12:03

I'm guessing the question I posed will never really be answered here, then.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2021-02-09, 20:57

Alright let's get back on topic here.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-14, 14:47

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-09, 12:03
I'm guessing the question I posed will never really be answered here, then.
My bad, I will stop derailing this.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to develop palemoon for arm in the long term. If that helps as an answer.

Tobin's last post btw was wise.

Well second to last I mean...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-14, 16:25

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-14, 14:47
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to develop palemoon for arm in the long term. If that helps as an answer.
That wasn't really the question -- we already have ARM CPU support in our tree, but the Mac "ARM-based" SoCs (System-on-Chip) are not the same thing as a traditional ARM CPU.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-14, 16:27

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-14, 16:25
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-14, 14:47
That wasn't really the question -- we already have ARM CPU support in our tree, but the Mac "ARM-based" SoCs (System-on-Chip) are not the same thing as a traditional ARM CPU.
Yeah, I kind of realized that, but in the long term I don't see why it would be an issue. Think it depends on how badly people want it. Unless you know something I don't

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-14, 16:45

"How badly people want it" I think remains to be seen. So far "how badly people want a Mac version" of Pale Moon seems to be directly related to how willing people are to actually build it. And that seems to fully preclude ever want to get officially supported build status because over the years, Intel Mac builds have never become official while I certainly hoped it would get at least ONE dedicated long-term maintainer. But that's all just been ad hoc.
Hence my question here -- if it requires more than casual building, because it requires actual hardware support to be developed, then what's the point of continuing Mac as a whole? Intel macs will be obsoleted by Apple. New Macs will have no support. It was never an officially supported O.S. in the end, ...

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-14, 20:27

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-14, 16:45
"How badly people want it" I think remains to be seen. So far "how badly people want a Mac version" of Pale Moon seems to be directly related to how willing people are to actually build it. And that seems to fully preclude ever want to get officially supported build status because over the years, Intel Mac builds have never become official while I certainly hoped it would get at least ONE dedicated long-term maintainer. But that's all just been ad hoc.
Hence my question here -- if it requires more than casual building, because it requires actual hardware support to be developed, then what's the point of continuing Mac as a whole? Intel macs will be obsoleted by Apple. New Macs will have no support. It was never an officially supported O.S. in the end, ...
Well, when I meant how badly people want it, I also meant people willing to maintain it too.

That being said, it does not matter to me much, but then again, maybe people willing to maintain it is few and far between.

I think?

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-04-06, 05:50

To summarize in one sentence, someone will have to buy a new Mac, and dedicate several hours each day to build and maintain. So whoever needs Mac support continue into the future needs to throw money at someone.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 06:45

Maybe you didn't get the memo but Macintosh support has been dropped. But to respond to your incorrect statement of moronic ignorance: One would have to actually add the support and resolve all issues of getting it to WORK on ARM before any maintenance would need to be done. They would also have to likely have two Macs one Intel of sufficient hardware quality and class for building and the MacinArm to test on.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 12:16

Why was this thread revived?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 12:19

Why is this thread here?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 13:32

Why are you post-date questioning things that were valid considerations at the time?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 13:37

No idea, maybe because I should be sleeping and I'm not. Sorry.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 13:52

Go sleep. I'll put a lock and chain on this thread in the meantime.