Why is GTK+ 2 still a build dependency even when building UXP GTK+ 3?

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

The Squash

Why is GTK+ 2 still a build dependency even when building UXP GTK+ 3?

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-08-19, 23:32

So a fellow user just asked me about my successful builds of UXP applications built with GTK+ 3 instead of GTK+ 2. But one thing we've noticed is that we still need GTK+ 2 installed to build UXP. Why? Is it due to plug-in compatibility -- i.e., some plug-ins still use GTK+ 2 and UXP needs to know about how GTK+ 2 is structured to be compatible with the plug-ins?

Also, is there any good reason to keep GtkXtBin? It looks like it's a wrapper for Netscape 4.x plug-ins, back when Netscape used Motif and Xt. It also looks like GtkXtBin must be linked to GTK+ 2, or at least compiled with GTK+ 2, which is why I ask.

Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Why is GTK+ 2 still a build dependency even when building UXP GTK+ 3?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-20, 00:13

I sure hope you aren't violating our intellectual property rights.

Also, who cares? It is that way because we want it that way. Fact is.. No one who isn't developing a UXP Application or contributing should be compiling the source code thus your question is automatically invalid.

Further more it would please me greatly if you would leave and never return.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2020-08-20, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-08-20, 00:16

Number one, I'm not violating any intellectual property rights. I'm building all applications with unofficial branding and I don't circulate my builds per se; I just privately circulate patches I create and attach big warnings to them stating that by applying said patches the user of the patches may not use the official branding or anything. So no worries there.

Number two, I've got reasons to compile from source: I've got a somewhat strange setup, I don't like having GTK+ 2 installed, and I plan to contribute my changes eventually. Your suggestion that those who are not actively contributing should not compile from source code is a Catch-22.

Thus I shall reiterate what I already said:

Super useful.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-20, 07:04

The answer is that it is the way it is.
If you want to build, then you need to have all the dependencies installed, whether you like it or not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite