Speech recognition?

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Speech recognition in UXP?

Poll ended at 2020-05-16, 12:44

Keep it (please explain what you want to do with it)
No votes
Remove it
40%
No opinion/fine either way
60%

Total votes: 20

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Speech recognition?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-09, 12:44

UXP currently has (unexercised) support for speech recognition in the tree.
I personally don't see any reason to keep this, but I'd like to toss up the ball here first before ripping it out: Are there any plans, at all, by anyone to make a UXP-based application that needs/focuses on speech recognition?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Speech recognition?

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-09, 12:58

A bit of a sidetrack here - do we need xulrunner to create standalone UXP based applications? I recall one of you mentioning that it isn't working properly or not being currently built or something on those lines.

On this issue call me old school but I don't see why everything and kitchen sink needs to be added to the browser. There's VR as well in the HTML5 spec apparently. Speech recognition might have value on a mobile browser for voice activated search or something but I can't think of why it would be essential on the desktop, and PM for mobile isn't being worked on anymore as it is.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-09, 13:17

Off-topic:
XULRunner is only needed if you want to supply a standalone application as disconnected front-end code, i.e. if you want to run a XUL application that doesn't have its own executable.
Think of it as similar to Greasemonkey. Greasemonkey scripts is the actual code that gets executed but you need the extension to provide the environment to run it in. XULRunner is similar: it provides the components and engine to run the XUL application, but doesn't do anything itself otherwise.
Also, UXP is serving more than just Pale Moon. Always keep that in mind. It might not be useful for Pale Moon or another web browser, but it may be something someone else might want who would want to build a XUL application. This is why I ask. As a platform, UXP does need the kitchen sink in some cases even if not used by its primary consumers at the moment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-09, 13:25

Speech recognition could be useful for people with disabilities etc .Maybe people who use the keyboard for an extraordinary amount of time may wish for the rest and use the feature.

very good of you by the way to create a poll and see how the wind blows instead of the outrage which was caused when google downloaded and installed the hotword module into chromium.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-09, 13:27

Moonraker wrote:
2020-05-09, 13:25
Speech recognition could be useful for people with disabilities etc .
I'd think people who need that due to a disability would already have dedicated hardware and software to use alternative input methods, converting speech to typed text.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2020-05-09, 19:08

How expensive (in terms of work and resources) is it to keep it? If neglectable cheap keep it, perhaps someday someone will be happy to use it, else drop it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-09, 19:54

karlkracher wrote:
2020-05-09, 19:08
How expensive (in terms of work and resources) is it to keep it?
It is as expensive as any other media component that plugs into DOM in terms of bugs, sec issues etc. so it's definitely not negligible. But before removing it I'd like to know if there are any "maybe" plans or not.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-05-09, 20:12

Sounds like it could be a possible extension candidate.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-09, 20:13

No. No it can't be.