PPC64: Compilation stops because of missing "-maltivec" and VSX instructions

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

rpxrpx

PPC64: Compilation stops because of missing "-maltivec" and VSX instructions

Unread post by rpxrpx » 2020-04-05, 21:12

Compiling Palemoon 28.9.0.2 on PPC64 reveals 2 problems that I did not
encounter when compiling 28.3.0 to 28.8.4.

Problem 1

The file

Pale-Moon/platform/security/nss/lib/freebl/altivec-types.h

defines two "long long" types that are not availabe on all PCC64 CPUs
and need the gcc command line option "-mvsx".

They belong to the VSX instructions introduced with the POWER7 CPU
(https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltiVec).

The code lines are:

Code: Select all

typedef __vector unsigned long long vec_u64;
typedef __vector signed long long vec_s64;
I simply commented them out and compiled Palemoon successfully.
However it may be better to provide them if gcc is started with "-mvsx".

Looking at
/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc64-linux-gnu/7/include/altivec.h
I suggest encapsulating them like this:

#ifdef __VSX__
/* VSX - Power ISA v.2.06 - POWER7 CPU and later */
typedef __vector unsigned long long vec_u64;
typedef __vector signed long long vec_s64;
#endif
For compability: The clang compiler also supports "-mvsx".

Problem 2

My .mozconfig contains this line:

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -maltivec"

as suggested by: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22905#p174684

Nevertheless the build stopped. gcc complained about using altivec code but not using "-maltivec".
I had to:
- change into the subdirectory Pale-Moon/platform/security/nss/lib/freebl
- and isse the following three commands which I enhanced with "-maltivec"

/usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -o /usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/security/nss/lib/freebl/gcm.o -c -std=c99 -O2 -gdwarf-2 -fPIC  -m64 -pipe -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DHAVE_STRERROR -DLINUX -Dlinux -Wall -Wshadow -DNSS_NO_GCC48 -DXP_UNIX -DSHLIB_SUFFIX=\"so\" -DSHLIB_PREFIX=\"lib\" -DSHLIB_VERSION=\"3\" -DSOFTOKEN_SHLIB_VERSION=\"3\" -DRIJNDAEL_INCLUDE_TABLES -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -DNSS_NO_INIT_SUPPORT -DUSE_UTIL_DIRECTLY -DNO_NSPR_10_SUPPORT -DSSL_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_CIPHER_SUITE_NAMES -DNSS_USE_64 -DFREEBL_LOWHASH -DNSS_NO_INIT_SUPPORT -DHAVE_INT128_SUPPORT -DMP_API_COMPATIBLE -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nss -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/private/nss -Impi -Iecl -Iverified -DNSS_ENABLE_TLS13_SHORT_HEADERS gcm.c -maltivec

/usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -o /usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/security/nss/lib/freebl/hmacct.o -c -std=c99 -O2 -gdwarf-2 -fPIC  -m64 -pipe -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DHAVE_STRERROR -DLINUX -Dlinux -Wall -Wshadow -DNSS_NO_GCC48 -DXP_UNIX -DSHLIB_SUFFIX=\"so\" -DSHLIB_PREFIX=\"lib\" -DSHLIB_VERSION=\"3\" -DSOFTOKEN_SHLIB_VERSION=\"3\" -DRIJNDAEL_INCLUDE_TABLES -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -DNSS_NO_INIT_SUPPORT -DUSE_UTIL_DIRECTLY -DNO_NSPR_10_SUPPORT -DSSL_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_CIPHER_SUITE_NAMES -DNSS_USE_64 -DFREEBL_LOWHASH -DNSS_NO_INIT_SUPPORT -DHAVE_INT128_SUPPORT -DMP_API_COMPATIBLE -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nss -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/private/nss -Impi -Iecl -Iverified -DNSS_ENABLE_TLS13_SHORT_HEADERS hmacct.c -maltivec

/usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -o /usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/security/nss/lib/freebl/rijndael.o -c -std=c99 -O2 -gdwarf-2 -fPIC  -m64 -pipe -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DHAVE_STRERROR -DLINUX -Dlinux -Wall -Wshadow -DNSS_NO_GCC48 -DXP_UNIX -DSHLIB_SUFFIX=\"so\" -DSHLIB_PREFIX=\"lib\" -DSHLIB_VERSION=\"3\" -DSOFTOKEN_SHLIB_VERSION=\"3\" -DRIJNDAEL_INCLUDE_TABLES -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -DNSS_NO_INIT_SUPPORT -DUSE_UTIL_DIRECTLY -DNO_NSPR_10_SUPPORT -DSSL_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_CIPHER_SUITE_NAMES -DNSS_USE_64 -DFREEBL_LOWHASH -DNSS_NO_INIT_SUPPORT -DHAVE_INT128_SUPPORT -DMP_API_COMPATIBLE -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/include/nss -I/usr/src/ralf/pmbuild_28.9.0.2/dist/private/nss -Impi -Iecl -Iverified -DNSS_ENABLE_TLS13_SHORT_HEADERS rijndael.c -maltivec
After these 3 object files were created I continued with "make -f
client.mk" or "mach build" (I don't remember) and the compilation
finished.

Note: I needed several hours to find this out but I remember that I have seen a file or a Makefile (?) with a one line comment about problems passing down options from mozconfig and that it shoud be investigated further. But even after a lot of "grep"-commands I can not find this file again.

Thank you for reading this.
Thank you for providing Palemoon and UXP.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PPC64: Compilation stops because of missing "-maltivec" and VSX instructions

Unread post by Admin » 2020-04-05, 21:15

This would be something to report on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org because this is part of NSS which is maintained by Mozilla.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

rpxrpx

Re: PPC64: Compilation stops because of missing "-maltivec" and VSX instructions

Unread post by rpxrpx » 2020-04-12, 21:27

Thank you for the hint.

I posted the problem with the VMX/VSX instructions to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1629414

I am not sure about the other problem. The problem is that

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -maltivec"
in ".mozconfig" is not passed down to "platform -> security -> nss". I can't complain at mozilla about this, can I?

Thank you.