Wikieditor(s) needed. Please help!

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Wikieditor(s) needed. Please help!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-10, 20:38

It seems there is high need for a Wikipedia article about UXP, with recent argumentation about mention on the XUL Wikipedia page (being undone for no clear reason other than my user presence there being marked as a central figure behind UXP, even if my section listed is factual). Lacking a dedicated place for UXP in its own article, it becomes difficult to objectively refer to it from other articles like the Pale Moon page or other articles involving e.g. Iceweasel and Icedove.

Unfortunately if I were to write an article myself about UXP, I know for a fact that it would be rejected over and over again just because I started development of it and therefore can't be trusted to write Wikipedia articles (claiming not neutral, self-published, etc.). The "Wikiproject Mozilla" editors will see to that because it is a direct conflict of interest for them.

So, I call upon you, my fellow writers, editors, and community members: PLEASE HELP by creating an article on Wikipedia about UXP, in an as source-neutral way as possible, stating facts about what it is (forked from the Mozilla code base), what it is being used for, and what its capabilities are. If you have any pointed questions to ask about UXP to be able to write the article then PLEASE by all means, ask away!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

khronosschoty
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Wikiedtor(s) needed. Please help!

Unread post by khronosschoty » 2019-01-10, 20:46

I'll work on this. I am happy, and hoping, to collaborate with anyone else interested as well.

yami_

Re: Wikieditor(s) needed. Please help!

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-10, 23:15

While this is not directly related to the potential UXP Wikipedia article, I guess this is still the best place to ask this question:
Since Pale Moon Wikipedia article is lacking a particular section in comparison to other browser's articles I have decided to do some work myself. Here is a teaser:
fig. 1 - A MediaWiki table.
fig. 1 - A MediaWiki table.
The question is: do you want it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-10, 23:44

yami_ wrote:The question is: do you want it?
Sure! go for it!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-11, 11:09

In the past I have requested that pages be created on Wikipedia and nothing has occurred. I am not a registered Wikipedia contributor so I update just as anyone else might and page creation is not one of my powers. First thing to do is to get the page created and a link provided here so we can get started?

Perhaps it might be wise to collate the information required for a UXP page 'off-line' as it were, so we can ensure that the proposed structure content is correct, non-partisan and up-to-date. Then push it as one whole to wikipedia. Then you Moonchild can make suggestions and someone else can push it 'up'. By all means send me any rejected article and I will re-write it and then I could contribute it myself to the created page.

Note: I have just modified the Pale Moon page to update the mention on benchmarking and Fossamail/Interlink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_%28web_browser%29
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2019-01-11, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-11, 13:18

After several hours I have managed to improve the table:
fig. 1 - More complete table.
fig. 1 - More complete table.
It is still missing alpha and beta builds as well as versions before Pale Moon 4 (I have no idea how to find any information about those). And it is also missing dates. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Off-topic:
Hmm... For some reason Pale Moon renders this image blurry. Also those occasional white dots are caused by lossy compression - the image is to big to be attached to the post without the compression.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2019-01-11, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reduced image file size ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-11, 14:02

Off-topic:
There's a maximum size restriction, the image was scaled down to 2000 px -- I guess I can loosen that a little.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-11, 14:29

Off-topic:
Hmm.. I did not know about the down scaling, thanks for the information. If you decide to change the image size restrictions what would the new maximum size before scaling be?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-11, 15:34

I don't think listing alphas and betas is of very much interest for Wikipedia, really. You can do without those.
As for the 3.6 series you can just mention that they were rebuilds of Firefox without code changes. It's not 100% correct but all in all the changes were irrelevant and more to deal with preferred configuration than actual different code/features.
Off-topic:
I changed the max size to 4000px vertically in the forum software -- you should be able to upload a better resolution now.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-11, 18:06

Here it is:
fig. 1 - The most recent version of the table.
fig. 1 - The most recent version of the table.
Off-topic:
It is a 1214px x 3962px image so I was indeed able to upload higher resolution image. Thank you.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2019-01-11, 20:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reduced image file size ;)