How to build Basilisk?

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

dr_st

How to build Basilisk?

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-03-02, 07:01

I'm trying to build Basilisk on Windows from the Github source, but seem to be missing the instructions on how to start. I haven't any experience building Mozilla-based apps before. The README mentions some things, but they all talk about general Mozilla things; is the process for Moebius/Basilisk exactly the same?

I tried following the instructions here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... requisites

But ./mach build fails claiming it cannot find the C compilers, so I must have missed some step. I installed VS 2017. Should I have gone with VS 2015 instead?

I apologize if I missed something obvious.
Last edited by dr_st on 2018-03-02, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

Fedor2

Re: How to build Basilisk?

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-03-02, 17:04

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13556
I can say that, building instructions is valid and for the Basilisk, but except one.
On windows VS2015 is mandatory.

By the way it is possible to build windows version on linux, i did that, i would better do business with linux, than with overbloated junk pile of VS2015.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-03-02, 17:41

Building Basilisk/UXP: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17535

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-03-07, 08:49

Thank you, guys. Between the two links I found enough information to help me build. It seems that the original Mozilla package I got was missing the start-shell-msvc2015.bat for whatever reason and that was causing my issues.

A couple things I still haven't figured out, though they are less important at this point:
  • Even with the ac_add_options --enable-official-branding and export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1, the build system still uses the 'unofficial' branding directory. Maybe I need another switch somewhere?
  • The mach installer target, which supposedly generates a self-extracting installer stops one place short. It generates all the ingredients but I still have to manually run copy /B 7zSD.sfx+app.tag+app.7z installer.exe. Is this expected?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-07, 10:43

Fedor2 wrote:i would better do business with linux, than with overbloated junk pile of VS2015.
I suggest you don't diss Microsoft's compiler which is a lot more efficient at generating Windows code without massive optimization errors than gcc will ever be.
dr_st wrote:Even with the ac_add_options --enable-official-branding and export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1, the build system still uses the 'unofficial' branding directory. Maybe I need another switch somewhere?
Please make sure the mozconfig you generate is actually being used. Make sure it's named properly and in the correct location. alternatively export MOZCONFIG= with the path to the mozconfig file.
dr_st wrote:The mach installer target, which supposedly generates a self-extracting installer stops one place short. It generates all the ingredients but I still have to manually run copy /B 7zSD.sfx+app.tag+app.7z installer.exe. Is this expected?
No that is not expected.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2018-03-11, 06:58

Moonchild wrote:Please make sure the mozconfig you generate is actually being used. Make sure it's named properly and in the correct location. alternatively export MOZCONFIG= with the path to the mozconfig file.
Thanks, this fixed it. It just needed to be named .mozconfig, whereas step 7 here suggested copying it as "mozconfig.txt". A typo?
Moonchild wrote:No that is not expected.
Strange. Using the correct mozconfig still did not resolve it. Is it possible I am missing another flag somewhere?

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-03-11, 15:10

There is nothing to do with the mozconfig, if you build without it when default values are set does it properly make installer? As i see you poked installer files for vista, do you? you may done wrong.
I have poked good installer already, would help and share.