Compare UXP with other cross-platform toolkits

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

zcyzcy88

Compare UXP with other cross-platform toolkits

Unread post by zcyzcy88 » 2018-02-08, 10:08

For example: Qt, Electron
Please explain why UXP is competitive.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Compare UXP with other cross-platform toolkits

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-08, 10:35

We could use QT as a widget toolkit.. OR DO YOU MEAN their web browser control.. Isn't that just webkit? Isn't Electron just blink's answer to xulrunner? Not sure what you are asking here..

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-08, 11:18

zcyzcy88 wrote:For example: Qt, Electron
Please explain why UXP is competitive.
Why should competitive be of importance?

Mozilla tries to compete with Chrome and the result... Features out.

To compete with the big one's if your own project has features and functions is a really bad idea, it only results in features getting killed because the user bases of a function rich software and Google Chrome have totally different demands.

In a lot of Chrome user's eye customization, options and choices are seen as bloat and they do not show interest in another browser as long as that browser is not as minimalistic as Chrome.

Mozilla decided to compete no matter what, the result can be seen and from a power user's point of view it is beyond ugly. Only simple users are the winners and all who demand more are left out.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-02-08, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-08, 11:34

This is not about chrome but cross-platform toolkits. As i understands this is things for making applications with gui, not only browser any applied application.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-08, 12:04

Not sure what kind of comparison you're wanting to draw.
Qt is a UI/widget toolkit only
Electron is a wrapper around webkit
UXP is both a UI platform and a networking/web platform. So you can't really compare it with either.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-02-08, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lizardsrcool

Unread post by lizardsrcool » 2018-02-27, 15:42

I can give you a simple comparison.

ALL modern toolkits now use Google Chrome, other than UXP. I've spent a long time researching this issue.
QT no longer uses Apple's Webkit, it lightly forked from Chrome's WebEngine. It also inherits all of Google's privacy flaws, mentioned here: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/to ... ChromeBugs

The only things left I have seen are UXP and TCL's TK Browser. However, UXP is much further along thanks to borrowing from Mozilla codebase. Google is a privacy cancer, and I for one am never switching to Chrome until those bugs are resolved. Don't hold your breath, because Google doesn't care. I am hoping it is possible to backport TBB fixes into UXP for added hardening against canvas attacks etc.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-28, 19:51

Off-topic:
We won't be adopting overzealous blocking patches from the TOR project because they destroy more than they "fix".
Also, FYI, we already have canvas poisoning which is a non-destructive mitigation of fingerprinting.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-02-28, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite