UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Discussions about the development and maturation of the Unified XUL Platform (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderator: trava90

RealityRipple
Lunatic
Lunatic

UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-05-19, 17:40

This topic is for community interaction regarding https://udn.realityripple.com/, the web technologies documentation backup of the Mozilla Developer Network documentation website.

A couple basic "facts of status" and rules about UDN:
Keep in mind this is a backup, not a live, updated website.
At this time, please do not report bad links, broken images or examples, or script snippets without formatting - all those things are already being taken care of, however slowly.
I will not be making major additions or changes to the documentation - there will be constant mentions of Mozilla and its products, WebExtensions, and all kinds of things that are entirely unrelated to UXP or the direction of its development. Some content may be reverted if it was altered to fit WebExtensions, or removed if it's a snippet about WebExtension changes that apply to the page's topic. Future changes will hopefully go much further, such as adding Pale Moon and Basilisk to the browser compatibility tables.
The Archive directory contains much of the more important information, particularly regarding XUL and Overlay Extensions. This directory will remain as-is in this backup for now. Maybe re-integration can be in the "future changes" list as well, but it's a big folder.

I will also be asking the development team questions about what should be retained and what can safely be removed from the backup as I go. If you are not a member of staff but have some direct input regarding the pages or sections in question, don't hesitate to speak up!

RealityRipple
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: UDN: MDN Backup Discussion

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-05-19, 17:42

The first question I have for the community in this new topic is simple:

Do you ever use the "Related Topics" link list on the left of the documentation pages?

vannilla
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-19, 18:10

I do sometimes when I can't find something in particular in the main content, as there are times when that column actually has the relevant link.
But I can't really say that I will miss it if it's gone. I have mixed feelings on the matter.
Still, if all you want to know is about usage and nothing else, then yes, I do use it from time to time.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-19, 18:13

I have been thinking about something. I have this domain .. thereisonlyxul.org that I am doing basically nothing with in regards to anything more than a list of UXP applications. Maybe .. and I am only considering here.. But maybe this should point to UDN instead. Especially if you are gonna continue to preserve various resources like MDN or maybe planet xul or w/e.

I could change the nameservers to where it would be effectively in your control.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

RealityRipple
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-05-19, 19:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-19, 18:13
I have been thinking about something. I have this domain .. thereisonlyxul.org that I am doing basically nothing with in regards to anything more than a list of UXP applications. Maybe .. and I am only considering here.. But maybe this should point to UDN instead. Especially if you are gonna continue to preserve various resources like MDN or maybe planet xul or w/e.

I could change the nameservers to where it would be effectively in your control.
Maybe for another iteration of the project - not the "backup". I've been hoping to eventually transition to something more like a Wiki, where people besides me can make edits and additions, bringing the docs back to a "living" website, with updated changes as UXP is developed and improved. That feels more like a decent role for your domain, though I have no idea when (or if) we'll reach that stage.

RealityRipple
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-06-15, 23:37

Added search result title query match bolding and path segment hyperlinking. Still slowly making my way through bad links on pages.

RealityRipple
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-21, 02:19

Just updated 1700 demo "$sample" urls to "_sample_." urls. If anyone sees a demo iframe that complains about legacy "$sample" urls (as seen below), please let me know.
Legacy ($samples) URLs for live samples are now fully deprecated and will not work. If you have a document that relies on a URL with '$samples' in it, switch to using the EmbedLiveSample() macro instead.
I'll back all these up at some point in the future as well.

shevy
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by shevy » 2021-07-24, 15:07

I think the only times I used MDN was mostly by random google search results.

As for domains: I think it would be best to keep all domains as close together as possible; thereisonlyxul.org is a bit of a weird domain name. I
don't think that should be used. How many use XUL? If it's only palemoon then a subdomain on palemoon may be better ... or name it
xulmoon.org :P (but that would have the same issue) ... or xul.palemoon.org. But that looks weird ... so perhaps just add a
/xul URI on palemoon.org for that or /mdn or something. To be fair: I suspect most other people also don't use MDN that often altogether.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-24, 15:22

Pale Moon is only ONE application among many that use the Unified XUL Platform.

However, I think this is now moot given recent events.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.