[Hang, BUG] Basilisk frequently hangs on youtube, etc sites (WinXP x86). Need debug PDB files

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

IDA-RE-things
New to the forum
New to the forum

[Hang, BUG] Basilisk frequently hangs on youtube, etc sites (WinXP x86). Need debug PDB files

Unread post by IDA-RE-things » 2024-03-02, 18:08

I have created an issue for this.
https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/ ... issues/108

My installation of Basilisk frequently hangs on youtube, etc sites (may be js-heavy loaded sites) (my machine is WinXP x86 Intel Core i3, if this important)
How to reproduce on my machine: Open several youtube pages (4-5 for ex.) in background from start page.
After some time (sufficient to load pages),
User interface still dont response.
ProcessExplorer shows high CPU usage for one thread of basilisk.exe process. "mozjs.dll" at the top of stack of user-mode code.(not counting kernel-mode).
Only kill of task helps.
I have updated to 2024.02.03 -- same behaviour.
Browsing, Hang, killing task, Reopening, ... Browsing, Hang,... Loop. It is my usual actions now, as several month :crazy:

To developer team: Can you create debug version of basilisk with PDB files, so I wll try to examine whats happened ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Hang, BUG] Basilisk frequently hangs on youtube, etc sites (WinXP x86). Need debug PDB files

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-02, 18:23

If you're running on Win XP, then you're likely not using a supported build, since that will require at least Windows 7 Sp1.
Where did you get this version of Basilisk?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

IDA-RE-things
New to the forum
New to the forum

Re: [Hang, BUG] Basilisk frequently hangs on youtube, etc sites (WinXP x86). Need debug PDB files

Unread post by IDA-RE-things » 2024-03-02, 19:51

Hi. I downloaded it from
http://o.rthost.win/basilisk/basilisk55 ... 1-xpmod.7z
Home page:
https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser
And evrywhere it presented as "XP supporting" browser.
"New build of post-deprecated Serpent/moebius for XP!"
from that repository:
https://github.com/roytam1/basilisk55
I'm confused..
Or this is a fork, which you dont want to consider ? Bad news, if so.. :coffee:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-02, 20:28

It's an independent fork/rebuild. You'll have to ask roytam who published it for support.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2024-03-03, 02:18

IDA-RE-things wrote:
2024-03-02, 19:51
Or this is a fork, which you dont want to consider ? Bad news, if so.. :coffee:
The browser you are using is a fork of Basilisk by a user called roytam1 on the MSFN forums.

His browser is called Serpent, but he continues to name his executable file "basilisk.exe", as well as continues to use "basilisk" in his downloadable archives which leads to confusing users such as yourself into coming here asking for support.

To prevent this he should edit his code so that the output executable is called Serpent. Until he makes this change, people like you who don't know any better will continue to come here asking for support instead of contacting him via the appropriate channels on MSFN.

Unfortunately we cannot provide support for how Serpent behaves or performs. As I've said in the past already, Basilisk is not Serpent. Serpent is not Basilisk.

If you want us to provide support for your issue, please verify that you can reproduce the bug you experienced in the Serpent browser in an official Basilisk build from basilisk-browser.org.

I'm locking this topic. Please open a new topic if you verify the bug is valid for Basilisk.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756