Basilisk 2024.02.03 Released!

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Basilisk 2024.02.03 Released!

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2024-02-04, 02:11

Basilisk 2024.02.03 has been released!

This release uses the same UXP platform version as Pale Moon 33.0.0.

Important notes with this release:
* Linux aarch64 builds are no longer considered beta builds. Going forward, autoupdates will work for aarch64 builds. In addition, we now offer GTK2 aarch64 builds.
* Linux builds have switched to Oracle Linux 8 with GCC 11. Oracle Linux 8 is a few years newer than the previously used Slackware 14.2 so if you are using an outdated/obsolete Linux distribution (pre-2019ish) there may be glibc or libstdc++ compatibility issues.

FreeBSD and MacOS builds will be released soon. This forum post will be updated when they are uploaded.

FreeBSD and MacOS builds have been uploaded to the site.

See the release notes for more information.

See the downloads page to download the update.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Basilisk 2024.02.03 Released!

Unread post by nord1 » 2024-02-04, 03:19

An impressive and full-featured release. Thanks once again.
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

uwethomas
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by uwethomas » 2024-02-04, 14:36

Hello there :)

really appreciating this release.

Still using 2022.01.27- while updating to the newest version, will it automatically pick up all my previous files and settings, including the last session?

Would grateful for corresponding hints ^^

Greets and best wishes from Berlin

Uwe

sosolidshoe

Unread post by sosolidshoe » 2024-02-05, 07:25

Got the update this morning, unfortunately clicking to open a webm file(specifically on 4chan) now crashes the browser, just immediately shuts it down process gone the works. Nothing else has changed between yesterday and today.

Shadow
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Shadow » 2024-02-05, 13:12

sosolidshoe wrote:
2024-02-05, 07:25
Got the update this morning, unfortunately clicking to open a webm file(specifically on 4chan) now crashes the browser, just immediately shuts it down process gone the works. Nothing else has changed between yesterday and today.
How about this link? Same thing happen?

Code: Select all

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/gtv-videos-bucket/sample/BigBuckBunny.mp4
On a fresh profile it's fine.

There was a NoScript exception fix but it's come back again. Not explicitly asking for it to be fixed again though, just pointing out it's there, and might be the culprit for the webm too.

sosolidshoe

Unread post by sosolidshoe » 2024-02-06, 03:59

Using browser as-was the link crashed it as well. Disabling noscript did solve the issue immediately, that's my bad for not checking first didn't even occur to me. I was using 5.1.8.4 of the addon, is there a version I can switch to that will work or is it something the dev team will have to address?

Shadow
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Shadow » 2024-02-06, 10:34

sosolidshoe wrote:
2024-02-06, 03:59
Using browser as-was the link crashed it as well. Disabling noscript did solve the issue immediately, that's my bad for not checking first didn't even occur to me. I was using 5.1.8.4 of the addon, is there a version I can switch to that will work or is it something the dev team will have to address?
There was a thread made previously and a consequent fix.

But as noted here it's pretty definitive Moonchild (dev) has had enough with it. The only little glimmer is their was that previous fix in place so maybe an exception will be made.

I don't know if an older version would make a difference but if it did it'd probably bug out more in other ways.

The alternative is this extension but comes with the steep learning curve which has to overwrite years of ingrained NoScript usage. You can't teach an old dog new tricks maybe applies to this scenario. I know it can be seen as a hindrance but was initially installed back when with the intent to help ourselves. I think with a clear beginner level walkthrough/tutorial for the alternative we might stand a chance to free ourselves from the shackles to some shinier shackles.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2024-02-06, 13:18

ηMatrix is a fork of the μMatrix browser extension.
Unlike μMatrix, ηMatrix is targeted at UXP applications (and, more generally, at applications using XUL.)

y otros links a ematrix

https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix

sosolidshoe

Unread post by sosolidshoe » 2024-02-06, 13:29

Shadow wrote:
2024-02-06, 10:34
sosolidshoe wrote:
2024-02-06, 03:59
There was a thread made previously and a consequent fix.

But as noted here it's pretty definitive Moonchild (dev) has had enough with it. The only little glimmer is their was that previous fix in place so maybe an exception will be made.

I don't know if an older version would make a difference but if it did it'd probably bug out more in other ways.

The alternative is this extension but comes with the steep learning curve which has to overwrite years of ingrained NoScript usage. You can't teach an old dog new tricks maybe applies to this scenario. I know it can be seen as a hindrance but was initially installed back when with the intent to help ourselves. I think with a clear beginner level walkthrough/tutorial for the alternative we might stand a chance to free ourselves from the shackles to some shinier shackles.
Yeah I'm not savvy enough to understand why it's broken or why Moonchild is over it, but I'm not browsing naked and I'm not learning a whole new addon when NS works fine everywhere else it's available. Time to move on. Thanks for responding.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-06, 13:39

sosolidshoe wrote:
2024-02-06, 13:29
Yeah I'm not savvy enough to understand why it's broken or why Moonchild is over it, but I'm not browsing naked and I'm not learning a whole new addon when NS works fine everywhere else it's available. Time to move on. Thanks for responding.
Well, the fact is, WebExtensions are so locked down and limited that extensions like NoScript can't really reach into the browser internals deeply enough to cause damage on other browsers. That's why it seems to "work better" on other engines, because it just isn't the same extension at all anymore. In fact, extensions like NoScript are basically the reason why XUL was killed off in the first place by Mozilla. (Not the only one, obviously, but a big one).

But here, XUL gives extensions a lot of power, and NoScript uses that power irresponsibly. Mozilla decided getting rid of XUL entirely was the way forward, we just decided on refusing to support NoScript instead. That said, that's an MCP policy, and it's not actually clear where Basilisk comes down on this issue. If someone else, like say Basilisk-Dev, wants to try and patch things up to avoid NoScript crashes, then we will take the patches as long as they don't hurt anything else. We just aren't interested in writing them or trying to support an extension as busted as NoScript, and resent entitled users demanding fixes for an extension that we have told them repeatedly not to use, for years.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Torsten

Unread post by Torsten » 2024-02-07, 16:40

Thanks a lot! Works fine for me under Linux 6.5.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.5.13-1 (2023-11-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux. :thumbup:

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2024-02-08, 18:15

athenian200 wrote:
2024-02-06, 13:39
If someone else, like say Basilisk-Dev, wants to try and patch things up to avoid NoScript crashes
For the record, I don't want to try and patch things up to avoid NoScript crashes. The better thing to do would be for someone who loves using NoScript to fork NoScript and make it work with our engine, but obviously people have indicated they have no intention of doing that.

NoScript is a cancer that attaches itself in an "I love breaking profiles" sense to everything it touches
- Steve Ballmer
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-09, 08:14

The simplest thing is to point out what Moonchild and others have pointed out often - it is the extension's job to become compatible with the browser and not the other way round. If you want an abandoned extension to work, step up and contribute as I did.
*self promo ahead*
I found the original PureURL for Firefox really useful - where it sucked was the user interface (non-existent for all practical purposes). Specifically, there was no way to know if stripping URL parameters was the reason that a site broke until disabling all extensions one by one to isolate PureURL. So the one you see on the addons site uses the original regex parser for filtering, but it was originally an addon SDK 'restartless' extension that I converted to XUL and added logging, the options dialog and the URL expansion feature.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Shadow
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Shadow » 2024-02-11, 13:39

sosolidshoe wrote:
2024-02-05, 07:25
A way around it is to put about:config into URL bar, search for media.play-stand-alone, and set it to false.

It will download the file instead though. Maybe not exactly ideal but it's something.

Source.

Code: Select all

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1249888

Shadow
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Shadow » 2024-02-12, 11:48

moonbat wrote:
2024-02-09, 08:14
The simplest thing is to point out what Moonchild and others have pointed out often - it is the extension's job to become compatible with the browser and not the other way round.
Speaking of which, I got the idea to see if using pmplayer can be an alternative.

Reading this it sounds feasible.
PMPlayer can also play videos that are directly linked. Currently it recognizes the following video extensions (playback subject to Pale Moon's codec support) - AAC,GIFV,MOV,MP4,OGA,OGV,WEBM.
There's a Basilisk link on your homepage but said Basilisk addon link there goes nowhere. Intended?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-13, 10:11

Shadow wrote:
2024-02-12, 11:48
Intended?
No, I'll take a look. You can still install it from the Pale Moon addons site, linked in my signature. Note that PMPlayer requires that the Youtube video allows embedding, else it will say 'cannot play'. VIdeos from official brand websites, official music videos etc tend to not allow embedding these days. Also, it isn't a video player in the sense of decoding video/audio streams; as stated it can play whatever formats the browser recognizes since all it does is display the same video in a popup window.

Edit - Originally the Basilisk addons page was auto-generated from the Pale Moon addons page, maybe something's changed on that end. The link is the same as it always was.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX