Request: Change the default action for Shift + mousewheel Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Should we change the default action for Shift + mousewheel to horizontal scrolling?

Poll ended at 2023-12-02, 13:58

Yes
18%
No
64%
I don't care
18%

Total votes: 11

gabrgv
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Request: Change the default action for Shift + mousewheel

Unread post by gabrgv » 2023-11-01, 22:22

Currently, by default holding Shift and scrolling with the mousewheel navigates the history. I think it would be a better default if it scrolled horizontally instead.

This can easily be configured in about:config: change mousewheel.with_shift.action from 2 to 4 (it’s default in Firefox since 58).

I don’t know if someone actually uses Shift + mousewheel to navigate the history, though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Request: Change the default action for Shift + mousewheel

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-01, 22:37

We aren't Firefox. What Firefox decides to do with its UI choices is irrelevant.
gabrgv wrote:
2023-11-01, 22:22
I don’t know if someone actually uses Shift + mousewheel to navigate the history, though.
People do.

And... when was the last time you've seen a website where horizontal scrolling was a thing? :)

I'm not inclined to change that default, not without at the very least a representative poll with user feedback.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-11-01, 23:09

Moonchild wrote:
2023-11-01, 22:37
And... when was the last time you've seen a website where horizontal scrolling was a thing?
In Photopea when zoomed in on an image that won't fit in the window, I use the scroll wheel but fortunately the Ctrl key is used in that app to specify the horizontal scroll, so I have never had a problem.

But yes, people still do need to scroll horizontally, and the wheel on the mouse is the obvious way to do it in both directions.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

gabrgv
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by gabrgv » 2023-11-01, 23:20

Moonchild wrote:
We aren't Firefox. What Firefox decides to do with its UI choices is irrelevant.
You’re right. I just wanted to mention it for completeness.
Moonchild wrote:
People do.
Oh, really? I didn’t know.
Moonchild wrote:
And... when was the last time you've seen a website where horizontal scrolling was a thing? :)
To be honest, I can’t recall. But I often find myself horizontally scrolling large images.

But maybe it wouldn’t be a good idea to keep changing defaults without need.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-11-01, 23:33

Pressing the scrollwheel to simulate a middle click should activate auto-scroll, which works horizontally as well.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-02, 03:29

Technically, isn't this up to Basilisk-Dev? I think he can change the default preference in Basilisk without altering any platform code.
Off-topic:
As for Pale Moon, I think Pale Moon tends not to like changing established behavior without a clear need because we've been around long enough that doing so will break someone's workflow.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-02, 11:28

Ah, I should pay closer attention to what board things are posted in. My remark about changing the default was for Pale Moon.
Of course Basilisk-dev can use branding prefs to do whichever is preferred ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-11-02, 14:23

I don't really like changing defaults unless I think there is a solid reason to do so, or there is significant user demand.

I edited your original post to be a poll. Let's have people vote on it. If people want it I'll do it. If not, we won't make the change.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-11-02, 16:43

Mousewheel through browsing history what?
Wheel = scroll vertically up/down
Shift+Wheel => scroll horizontally right/left
Ctrl+Wheel => zoom in/out
Alt+Wheel or maybe Shift+Ctrl+Wheel => flash through history backward/forward or forward/backward
Of course all these as defaults should be override-able with a pref.

gabrgv
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by gabrgv » 2023-12-06, 16:19

Recently, I came across this weird behavior:

(Open a big image to test:)

When the vertical slider is all the way to the top and the horizontal slider is all the way to the right, you can’t ‘Shift + scroll up’ to go to the left without first moving the vertical slider or manually moving the horizontal slider.

The same happens the other way around: when the vertical slider is all the way to the bottom and the horizontal slider is all the way to the left.