Did you know....

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Did you know....

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-10-29, 20:37

I have been thinking about Basilisk wrong all this time!

https://alvarotrigo.com/blog/open-source-web-browsers/

"Basilisk is a Linux-based operating system that offers web browsing, email, and instant messaging. It is based on the KDE 4 desktop environment and has a user-friendly interface."

Southern_Computer_Geek
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Did you know....

Unread post by Southern_Computer_Geek » 2023-10-29, 21:46

The Basilisk project was created to provide an alternative to Firefox, owned by Mozilla. The project was started in 2003 by Andrew F. Ewing, who wanted to create a version of Firefox without Mozilla’s limitations, such as the lack of tabs or integration with other applications.
The existence of alternate universes is confirmed.

I've seen plenty of tech articles written by people who had no idea what they were talking about, but I've never seen anything this rich.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-10-30, 01:08

I planned to reveal my true real life identity on the forums one day but I never thought it would be on alvarotrigo.com.

I guess now that the cat is out of the bag, my name is Andrew F. Ewing
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-10-30, 02:12

Southern_Computer_Geek wrote:
2023-10-29, 21:46
I've seen plenty of tech articles written by people who had no idea what they were talking about, but I've never seen anything this rich.
A lot of them are made to fool HR when trying to get a job requiring some kind of writing skills... they see some kind of blog, read sufficiently coherent thoughts but never check the factuality of the contents or whether it is something useful, if the article is a tutorial of sort.
In the current days, I also wouldn't exclude machine generation of said articles, which only compounds the incorrect contents or their lack of substance.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-10-30, 03:06

That reminds me of the old joke about the Mozilla Suite being an operating system.

I mean, we are talking about an application that has a nearly-complete collection of C library functions between NSPR and other parts of its own codebase, it's own build system, cross-platform ways of displaying its own widgets, etc... I can totally see how someone would say that. Though granted, that old joke didn't really age that well given that Boot2Gecko and ChromeOS actually became things...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind