Portable Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Portable Basilisk?

Unread post by gepus » 2023-10-29, 20:18

I assume that the Windows archive is not portable.
Any plan for portable Basilisk?

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Portable Basilisk?

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-10-30, 01:10

At this time there are no plans for a portable release of Basilisk. You're the first person who has ever asked.

That's something I've never done before. How would you go about making an application like Basilisk or Pale Moon portable in the first place?
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-10-30, 10:11

As far as I can see there are different approaches:
- a launcher (portable.exe) for the main.exe and an .ini file (portable.ini) so all the files will be extracted in the same folder + sub-folders chosen by the user. (Pale Moon Portable for example)
- only a launcher (for the main.exe) that already contains all the necessary information.

However as long as I'm the only one asking for a portable, it makes little sense for the hassle. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-30, 13:49

You can "make it portable" (kind of) by specifying a local (to the browser) profile folder to use with --profile
It won't be perfect in terms of not putting stuff like cache elsewhere, but your profile data and browser would then be portable in that it can just be copied to another computer in a single folder.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BobbyW
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by BobbyW » 2023-10-31, 10:07

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-10-30, 01:10
At this time there are no plans for a portable release of Basilisk. You're the first person who has ever asked.

That's something I've never done before. How would you go about making an application like Basilisk or Pale Moon portable in the first place?
I too would be deeply interested in a 100% Portable version of Basilisk, a version I could use on say a "Thumb USB Drive" that can be run from that drive & not save any data on the 'host' device's operating system.

@ Basilisk-Dev:

If you are really interested in, & wish to make Basilisk completely portable, being you are the owner of Basilisk, might I suggest you contact John T. Haller - CEO, Founder and Lead Developer over at PortableApps.com, which has the most experienced portable software team in the world.

"They are made up of a diverse team of developers, translators, organizers, designers, contributors and users all over the world."

They already produce & maintain many Browsers in a portable format, including Falkon Portable, Google Chrome Portable, Maxthon Portable, Iron Portable, Mozilla Firefox Portable, Mozilla Firefox Developer Edition Portable, Opera Portable, & Opera GX Portable just to name a few.

The talented team over at PortableApps.com also produce & maintain 400+ real portable apps in house under the direction of John T. Haller.

So, when it comes to creating Portable versions of software they are IMHO the ones to talk to.

Over 1 billion downloads of portable apps that they produce tells me that they must be trusted world wide, & seem to be tops in the field.

The PortableApps Website Internet Apps Section:
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet

The Development Team at PortableApps:
https://portableapps.com/about/team

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-31, 10:35

If I'm right, Pale Moon's portable version also is built using PortableApps.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-31, 10:46

moonbat wrote:
2023-10-31, 10:35
If I'm right, Pale Moon's portable version also is built using PortableApps.
No. I declined using PortableApps since they were being a bit too ambitious and it was an absolute pain to package for their system (and I didn't particularly like how opaque the result would be, making it much harder to audit).
Pale Moon Portable uses a derivative of X-Launcher (from the WinPenPack devs).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2023-12-20, 01:37

I already have a "portable' version of Basilisk I put together for 'Puppy' Linux. Along with 'portable' versions of:-
  • Firefox
  • FirefoxESR
  • Pale Moon
  • Librewolf
  • Midori &
  • SeaMonkey
On the Chromium (and 'clones') front, I have builds for
  • Chromium itself
  • Chrome
  • Brave
  • Iron
  • MSEdge 4 Linux
  • Opera
  • Slimjet
  • Ungoogled Chromium
  • Sidekick &
  • Vivaldi
The 'zilla-based browsers are quite simple. The 'clones' are a wee bit more awkward, but still 'do-able'.

(And then there's the hundred or so other apps I've packaged into 'portable' format for Puppy...) :)

Mike. :D
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-12-20, 19:41

I would think (though I have not tried), that if you took some existing "portable" application, oh say, Pale Moon (or SeaMonkey), & installed the Palemoon-Portable version (or PortableApps SeaMonkey version), that if you then finagled things, a bit, like by extracting Basilisk, & copying that extracted "installation" into (in place of) the existing PortableApps /Bin/Palemoon/ (or /Bin/SeaMonkey, or whatever) directory, you'd at that point, essentially have a "portable" version of Basilisk.

Hmm... forgot something... what about the launcher itself, Palemoon-Portable.exe?
You might have to rename /Bin/Palemoon/basilisk.exe to /Bin/Palemoon/palemoon.exe?

I'd think it would be fairly easy to try out, to see if something like that would even work?

(You'd also want to review associated .ini files or similar.)

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2023-12-21, 00:08

I've been running a Portable Basilisk, using the launch software from Pale Moon Portable.

There is a description in another post describing how to do it, and it's worked well for me.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17518#p128983

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-12-21, 16:47

If someone would like to contribute release builds I would be willing to put it on the Basilisk site. It's not something I personally intend to create though.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756