Move Bookmarks Button to URL bar Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Move Bookmarks Button to URL bar

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-13, 21:52

Good Day Folks,

I want to move the bookmarks star button to the URL bar, is that possible with Basilisk?

Below is a picture of how it looks now.
starbutton.png
A second question I have is, can that Burger menu be hidden? Or Moved to the left, something like what Pale Moon has with the extension that allow that button to be moved?

Thank You
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Move Bookmarks Button to URL bar

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-10-14, 13:00

1. Re: "Hiding the Hamburger Menu button (Panel Menu button)"... this can be done using a one-line CSS userstyle:

Code: Select all

/* Hide Hamburger button (Panel Menu button) */
#PanelUI-menu-button { display: none !important; }
However, the easy solution is to install Aris-t2's excellent 'Classic Theme Restorer' (CTR) mega-extension which is designed to work with Basilisk. :D

With CTR installed, and the 'Customize' window open, you can now move the '3-bar' Hamburger Menu button around your toolbars freely using the usual 'click & drag' method... or hide button by 'drag & drop' into the box of 'not-in-use' toolbar items on the LH side of the Customize window. :)

(BTW - The very latest version of CTR in Aris-t2's GitHub repo is CTR_v1.7.8.2019.10.27.xpi listed in 'Releases' link... in the 2nd large section titled 'Classic Theme Restorer 2019 preview (Waterfox/Basilisk/Firefox 52.x-56.x) - click the 'Assets' button at bottom of that section box and menu opens'... take care with version numbers/dates... 6 versions of CTR available in that menu.).

--------------------

2. Re: "Moving Hamburger Menu button (Panel Menu button) to the left"... this can also be done using a one-line CSS userstyle:

Code: Select all

/* Move Hamburger button (Panel Menu button) to left side of Url bar */
#nav-bar-customization-target { -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important; }
However, as above, the easy solution is to install Aris-t2's CTR extension... and with the 'Customize' window open simply drag the Hamburger Menu button to position required. :) (Note: If you also have CTR extension installed the Move Hamburger button userstyle conflicts and will not work.)

--------------------

3. Re: "Moving the Bookmarks Star button into the URL bar". Using CSS userstyles alone suspect this may be difficult and perhaps not possible without using JS as well? However there are two options using extensions available:

i) Again, Aris-t2's CTR extension can move the Star Button into the URL bar... tick 'Star-button' box at top of Page 1. of CTR's 'Location Bar' settings. (Note: Not obvious where or if a replacement Bookmarks Menu button is available amongst CTRs many options? Could use Aris-t2's 'Classic Bookmark Button v1.2' extension... available in JustOff's 'Classic Add-ons Archive'... and works in Basilisk.)

ii) Use another extension by Aris-t2 that he made for Firefox Australis called 'Star-Button In Urlbar'... which appears to work correctly in current Basilisk after a very quick test on a clean profile.

The 'Star-button In Urlbar' extension can still be found using WayBackMachine (WBM) copies of old Add-ons Mozilla (AMO) website pages:
Some of the WBM snapshot pages will have a 'live' download link to Aris-t2's old .xpi files... e.g. this Nov 2016 snapshot has a copy of 'star_button_in_urlbar-1.4-fx.xpi' which was the final version. (attached below + checked clean with 2 x AV scans)

After loading the 'Star-Button In Urlbar' extension Aris-t2 reminds users they will need to have "a bookmarks button replacement installed":

Aris-t2 Star-Button In Urlbar notes.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-15, 12:12

Woah, Blacklab! Your solutions are simply amazing! Thank You!

Your css tweaks work perfectly, the star button addon workd perfectly too!
I never thought about CRT or even that it will work, even though I had been seeing people talk about it on the Mozillazine forum in the old posts I was researching.

Have a good day!

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-15, 12:26

Hi Blacklab, so just one more little issue. It seems that when one disable CRT, the changes remain. My rss feed icon is now outside of my url bar, any way I can get it back?
basrss.png
Thank You

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-10-15, 13:45

It seems that when one disable CTR, the changes remain. My rss feed icon is now outside of my url bar, any way I can get it back?
Hmm, not seen that problem using Aris-t2's Classic Theme Restorer (CTR) extension here... but then I don't use RSS feeds and don't have the RSS button visible. Also keep CTR permanently installed and permanently enabled on default Basilisk profile. CTR's vast range of UI tweak options saves having to make dozens of individual CSS userstyles. :)

See screenshot below. On a clean test profile of Basilisk (v2023.10.03 on Win10) the RSS feed (Subscribe) button has been dragged from its original position inside the 'Customize' window... the button will load anywhere on the Tab or Navigation toolbars... but not inside the URL box. Not obvious how you originally placed your RSS feed button inside Basilisk's URL box? Possibly different on Linux OS... but seems unlikely?

Basilisk new profile with RSS feed button moved to URL Bar.png
Basilisk new profile (Win10) with RSS feed button moved onto Nav Bar.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-15, 22:23

Ah yes, you are correct! I am getting Basilisk confused with Pale Moon. My apologies.

CTR is a super powerful extension, jeez