Basilisk 2023.10.03 Released!

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Basilisk 2023.10.03 Released!

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-10-03, 19:06

Basilisk 2023.10.03 has been released!

This release uses the same UXP platform version as Pale Moon 32.4.1

The autoupdate service does not currently support FreeBSD, aarch64 Linux, and macOS builds so a manual update is required on these operating systems.

See the release notes for more information.

See the downloads page to download the update.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

TTraveler
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Basilisk 2023.10.03 Released!

Unread post by TTraveler » 2023-10-03, 22:37

.......................Image

Image... Image... Image... Image... Image

cyrix007

Unread post by cyrix007 » 2023-10-05, 17:14

Thanks! :thumbup:

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-27, 01:48

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-10-03, 19:06
Basilisk 2023.10.03 has been released!
Thanks for that.

I am working on integrating it properly into my Slackware based x86-64 system using basilisk-20231003151819.linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz

I will move the basilisk folder to /opt/basilisk
I will create a symlink /usr/bin/basilisk pointing to /opt/basilisk/basilisk
For the icons, I will create symlinks from e.g. /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/basilisk.png to /opt/basilisk/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png

What I have not found is a source file for this:
/usr/share/applications/basilisk.desktop

Searching with DDG for "basilisk.desktop" (with the quotes) gave me only two hits:
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Basilisk-Browser/
which has a minimal basilisk.desktop

and
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... silisk-bin
which has a quite elaborate one including many languages I am not interested in.

Does an official basilisk.desktop exist?

for now I created these:
basilisk.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Basilisk Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=basilisk %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=palemoon
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Internet;GTK;
MimeType=text/html;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
browser.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Exec=basilisk %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=palemoon
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Internet;GTK;
StartupNotify=true
NoDisplay=true
Cave! I can only use only "Exec=basilisk %u" instead of the full path to the binary because of the symlink in /usr/bin/basilisk pointing to /opt/basilisk/basilisk as mentioned above.
yours truly, Rava

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-10-27, 03:15

Raava wrote:
2023-10-27, 01:48
Does an official basilisk.desktop exist?
The short answer is no, there is no official .desktop file for Basilisk. I just hit Alt+F2 and then type in basilisk when I want to run Basilisk on my Slackware desktop. I use WMaker.

Since you are using Slackware, it might be helpful for you to know that there is a Slackbuild for Basilisk. However, the Slackbuild is an old version. You will need to edit the Slackbuild yourself to pull the newest version.

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/ ... h=basilisk

Here is the .desktop file from that Slackbuild

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Exec=basilisk-bin %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=basilisk-bin
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
Name[en_US]=Basilisk Web Browser
Basilisk Project Owner

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-27, 03:40

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-10-27, 03:15
Here is the .desktop file from that Slackbuild
Thanks for that.

Another question: I want to replace dict-en.US with 2 other dictionaries.

How do I do so? Removing dictionaries/en-US.aff and dictionaries/en-US.dic is easy.

But do I just insert the e.g. en-GB@dictionaries.thereisonlyxul.org/ folder into dictionaries/ ?
I presume I have to edit some setup file as well?

I want the dictionaries to be in the /opt/basilisk folder and not in the user home setup folder so that all users can use the same dictionaries and I don't have these files in each user's home folder.

Also, can some extra add-ons also inserted via /opt/basilisk and not via the user home setup folder?
yours truly, Rava

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-10-30, 01:11

To be honest I have no idea, this isn't something I've ever tried. Try it out and let me know if it works!
Basilisk Project Owner

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-30, 03:25

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-10-30, 01:11
To be honest I have no idea, this isn't something I've ever tried. Try it out and let me know if it works!
I tried adding the addons into folder /opt/basilisk/browser/extensions/ and /opt/basilisk/dictionaries/ but that did not work as I hoped it would. I presume some setup files need to be adjusted, and I do not know which ones and how to adjust these.
For now as a workaround I did the following:

I presumed for that to work since palemoon and basilisk are close enough - code-wise and since PM is my main browser:
I set up symlinks in my ~/.basilisk-dev/basilisk/RANDOM.default/extensions that link my extensions (de-DE-1901@dictionaries.thereisonlyxul.org - eMatrix@vannilla.org.xpi - en-GB@dictionaries.thereisonlyxul.org - uBlock0@raymondhill.net.xpi and url-rewriter@papush) to their respective files or folders in my ~/moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/RANDOM.default/extensions/
That is: all extra extensions but the swarth@franklindm.xpi since I use that in Basilisk instead of "Advanced Night Mode" that I use in PM.

While using the folders and files of the extensions like so works like a charm (first I installed them manually in Basilisk and let Basilisk do the setup; then I exited Basilisk (did a backup of my ~/.basilisk-dev/) and replaced the folders and files of the extensions with the above mentioned symlinks and started Basilisk anew) I sure did not use the same symlinking when it comes to the databases 2 of these extensions use:

ematrix.sqlite
ublock0.sqlite
Since I would use PM and Basilisk at the same time, I thought it would be a very bad idea for both programs writing into the same databases at the same time. So while they can share the extensions themselves just fine, each program has its own ematrix.sqlite and ublock0.sqlite files.
And as additional precaution, I recommend anyone following my above approach to disable automated updating of the extensions in one of these browsers (recommended disabling that in the least used browser while keeping it on auto-updating it in the more often used browser)
yours truly, Rava