Windows Security Intercepts Download Of Basilisk Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Windows Security Intercepts Download Of Basilisk

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-04, 04:56

Just tried to d/l Basilisk for the first time. Got this,
Screenshot 2023-09-04 004721.png
so, I stopped. Didn't see anything about this possibility on B's website. Did I miss something?

Edit: I should be more clear in case this is a little vague. The d/l succeeded; the installation is what was stopped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Windows Security Intercepts Download Of Basilisk

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-04, 07:41

Windows Smartscreen has the tendency to warn about running "unknown" applications, i.e. ones that are not cryptographically signed and have not been seen on many user's PCs.
I personally think this is a little paranoid (And I use different anti-malware software to avoid this kind of thing) and is inherently punishing small publishers of software who will never have a large number of installs that Microsoft is aware of through their data collection from user PCs.
If you downloaded it from the original website, you should feel confident it's fine. You can click "run anyway" to proceed past the warning. Who knows, maybe that decision is sent to Microsoft to actually make SmartScreen less dumb :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-09-04, 14:19

If you have any additional concerns around the security of your download, the SHA256 checksums for each download are listed on the download page. You can verify the checksum to ensure the integrity of your download using a SHA256 checksum checker.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-04, 16:27

Thanks for both responses. I've never seen this screen before and had never heard of SmartScreen. I looked into it and it's in Settings. I can turn it off but I'll leave it on. Don't know anything about hashes, checksums, etc. I'll leave that for others to deal with. I will now install Basilisk.

Off-topic:
On another note, there's a topic about updates re-setting all the settings to default. Not sure I understood how that settled out. I'm going to make one change somewhere in Preferences, then d/l and install again. If my one change gets re-set, I guess that's a problem.

Thanks again.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-04, 20:10

OK, it works. I'm not a power user and don't know if this gives me anything I don't already get with Pale Moon; I'll try it for a while.

stefan11111
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by stefan11111 » 2023-09-04, 20:20

van p wrote:
2023-09-04, 20:10
OK, it works. I'm not a power user and don't know if this gives me anything I don't already get with Pale Moon; I'll try it for a while.
It gets you webrtc. I don't use webrtc that much, but I'll keep basilisk as a second browser for when I need that.
The combined build time of palemoon and basilisk is less that that of firefox.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-04, 20:42

Thanks for the info.

Off-topic:
Now if somebody (who knows how) could just come up with a replacement for opendownload2, that would be great. (Don't suggest I do it; Pale Moon and Basilisk would never work again.) I tried playing with it here; of course, it doesn't work. Don't know why it's still shown on Pale Moon's addon page if it doesn't work.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-05, 04:35

Off-topic:
van p wrote:
2023-09-04, 20:42
Now if somebody (who knows how) could just come up with a replacement for opendownload2,
I've fixed it (at least it seems that way, on Pale Moon for Linux); give it a try. Whoever forked it didn't bother to change the antiquated jar packaging used internally, or change the manifest to the newer format, and there were actual syntax errors. Tested it with clicking one of the downloads on the Pale Moon download page, on Linux it adds an option to open with a binary. Oh and I've removed support for Seamonkey from the manifest. The fork author is AWOL from the forums AFAICT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-05, 14:02

Off-topic:
moonbat, thanks for the response, but I'm on Windows, not Linux. I clicked on your link, and it displayed a panel asking what I want to do with the attached item. I cancelled out. Is the attachment usable to me on Windows?

Also, if the "fork author" is tux, he left a message (here or somewhere else) years ago saying he was leaving Pale Moon. He also listed a number of technical reasons the thing wouldn't work in Firefox's new way of doing things. I would think anything could be made to work somehow, but I'm not a computer programmer, so what do I know?

Thanks again.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-05, 21:17

Off-topic:
I thought you've been around long enough to be able to recognize an extension file by now :crazy:
Save it and install it from the addons manager using the 'install from file' option, or drag and drop it on top of the addon manager. It wouldn't work in Firefox after 2017 given that was when they entirely scrapped the XUL addon system and switched to Chrome's Web Extensions.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-11, 02:58

Off-topic:
moonbat, sorry my lack of technical knowledge disappointed you, but . . .

I followed your instructions in both Pale Moon and Basilisk. It did not work in either one. The 'download' box in each browser showed only 'Save' and 'Cancel,' not 'Run.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-11, 07:15

Not sure about Windows..for me on Linux after installing the extension, it shows up an extra entry in the download window as below:
palemoon download window.png
Tested on the Pale Moon downloads page. Is there anything similar for you or is it totally unchanged?

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-09-11, 13:14

moonbat wrote:
2023-09-11, 07:15
Tested on the Pale Moon downloads page. Is there anything similar for you or is it totally unchanged?
I'm not the person you were originally asking but I've confirmed this works on Linux Basilisk.
Basilisk Project Owner

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-11, 14:20

I tried again by trying to execute the .xpi file from my Downloads folder and got the message about Windows not being able to open the file. I then went through the download step and got the following:
Screenshot (696).png
I then clicked on 'OK' and got the Windows message I mentioned above by trying to install from my Downloads folder:
Screenshot (697).png
Edit: I think I read somewhere that version 4.2.0 works, but I can't find it anywhere that I can download. If it's in Github or something like that, I don't know anything about that site or how it works.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-09-11, 15:18

van p wrote:
2023-09-11, 14:20
I tried again by trying to execute the .xpi file from my Downloads folder and got the message about Windows not being able to open the file. I then went through the download step and got the following:
Isn't that what this addon does? Adds that "Open with default application" option? It looks to me like you've already got it working.
Basilisk Project Owner

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-11, 16:04

Basilisk-Dev, it's supposed to do this:
Screenshot (698).png
The extension is supposed to add the 'Run' button to the download panel, so the process can be executed immediately instead of saving the program on the person's computer, then the user has to execute it from wherever he saved it (normally his Downloads folder, I guess). If I save it, then I just have to delete it when I'm done with it. My first browser was Internet Explorer; it's download process had this 'run' functionality built in. When I started using other browsers, I realized that functionality was inherent in how IE handled the situation but wasn't there automatically in other browsers. So, I went looking for a solution, and OpenDownload2 was it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-11, 22:01

What happens when you use the 'open as Win64' option? From the extension's overlay code, there is no additional Run button being added anywhere and the code is platform agnostic.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-12, 05:05

moonbat, the first time I tried to do your download, I saved it to my Downloads folder and installed it from my Addons page, as you instructed. After trying to do a d/l with the resulting OD2 and not seeing the 'Run' button, I tried what I show 4 posts above, d/l-ing your extension using the 'open as Win64' option. The result immediately follows in that post with the 2nd screenprint. So I've already done what you're now asking me about. If this thing was simple, I guess Tux or somebody else would have done it by now. Not sure how much time or effort I can expect anybody to put into this, but I appreciate what's been done so far. I think I've done everything I've been asked to do, and so far, no joy. Again, if it was simple, it would have been done by now.

Again, anybody know anything about version 4.2.0?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-12, 06:37

van p wrote:
2023-09-12, 05:05
The result immediately follows in that post with the 2nd screenprint.
Like I already explained - .xpi means nothing to Windows. .XPI files are not set to be opened by Pale Moon or Firefox or any other Mozilla browser, you can only install them from within the respective browser's addon page. So if you want to test this addon, download some other file that makes sense to Windows. Pick a .exe file or a zip and see if the option launches the executable itself or whatever application you've got that opens it if it isn't an exe.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2023-09-12, 07:46

moonbat, look at the screenprint a few posts above with the website that says 'Applian Technologies.' This is from the abandoned browser Cyberfox. An older version of OD2 is installed on that browser. Clicking on the 'Download' button on that screen results in the download panel shown, and it has the 'Run' button, which is what we're after.

Now look at the following screenprint. This is from Pale Moon (Basilisk does the same thing). This is after loading/installing the version of OD2 you provided. This is the same Applian Technologies website, the same screen, the same 'Download' button/process. The download panel does not have the 'Run' button.
Screenshot (700).png
Not sure what the confusion is here. I'm using a regular website 'download' process to run/test the OD2 download program you provided. One of us is confused about something. I apologize if I'm being dense, but I'm pretty sure I've done everything I'm supposed to do, the way I'm supposed to do it.