error "insecure" with classics addons (ca-archive.us.to)

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

error "insecure" with classics addons (ca-archive.us.to)

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-03-09, 08:26

My basilisk last version is failing "Your connection is not secure" to install or download an extension file.

"The owner of ca-archive.us.to has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Basilisk has not connected to this website."

https://ca-archive.us.to/storage/1/1117 ... on=install

Besides my default profile, I had same error with an empty profile.
On the other hand, Palemoon seems to have the same behaviour but the official Firefox can download the file
ca-archive.png
Last edited by dapgo on 2023-03-09, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: error "insecure" with classics addons (ca-archive.us.to)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-09, 08:54

Seems to work fine here (or now, at least) on Pale Moon.
The problem in your report is "unknown issuer", meaning the webmaster of the site did not provide the issuing certificate authority certificate in their certificate chain to present to browsers to establish trust. It seems they corrected that in the meanwhile. The fact you were able to visit it with Firefox means that you have likely previously visited the site with Firefox (which stores intermediates in the certificate store) or other websites using certificates from the same authority (which would use the same intermediate).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-03-09, 09:44

It seems that infoblox is corporative security service and it is the cause of the issue.
In Chrome a custom blocking message is being thrown

But it is curious that Firefox is not affected by this infoblox issue

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-09, 12:31

Oh.. actually you've made a point. I didn't check the cert chain and it's on cloudflare using cloudflaressl -- infoblox shouldn't even be in the chain. Probably endpoint security getting in the way? Corporate antivirus/proxy?

Firefox is notorious for poking holes into corporate network security with their DNS-over-HTTPS and ignoring system network settings. That's why it "works" while actually it should not. OR the Infoblox endpoint software has installed the certificate into Firefox in which case it works.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-03-09, 13:53

It works for me in Basilisk and Pale Moon.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-09, 15:43

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-03-09, 13:53
It works for me in Basilisk and Pale Moon.
It's not a browser issue. it's something specific to the OPs internet environment.